3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

aftermarket nav/dvd players

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket nav/dvd players

they all say they wont play dvd's unless the truck in in park with the parking brake on. is there any way to get them to play if your not still? like still cruzing up the street?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:20 PM

Yes yake it to a local install place...not circuit city or best by because they have a insurance claim on thier hands if you where to wreck while watching a dvd. But most of the smaller car audio places will just have you sign a waver and either by pass the saftey with a switch that makes the stereo think its in park. Thats how mine is. Hope this helps some....Shawn
Old 12-18-2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by eodshawn
Yes yake it to a local install place...not circuit city or best by because they have a insurance claim on thier hands if you where to wreck while watching a dvd. But most of the smaller car audio places will just have you sign a waver and either by pass the saftey with a switch that makes the stereo think its in park. Thats how mine is. Hope this helps some....Shawn
what one do you have? would you chose a different one for any reason?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:33 PM

I have a clarion on in my mega, an eclips in my durango,and a pioneer in my mustang. I think the eclips in the best of the three but the price is up there if you through nav into it. The clarion is super easy to use, and it has two extra rca jack in the rear of the deck for back up cam and I hard wired a 30g zoon into so I dont have to worry about changing cds,also you can do a game system if you wanted to. Its also a selled unit where the eclips and pioneer have (brain boxes) and have the same amount of inputs and outputs if you want to hook amps or any other audio stuff.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 PM

From what Ive heard, they hook a wire to the E-brake switch to let the radio know the truck E-brake is on, Ive seen people either jump, or bypass the e-brake switch to fool the radio, and it worked, but Im no expert!!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:40 PM

I know for the pioneer, my buddy updated the discs with a 2006 version and pioneer had introduced a way to catch those that had done the "work around" with the parking brake trick. So, i think it is going to take more than that, but all companies are different... I a geeky buddy explaining to me how to modifiy the pins in the unit to override the system, but seemed a little more than I wanted to push...
Old 12-19-2007, 12:22 AM

Have the Kenwood DNX7100 in my wifes 4Runner and we can watch movies while driving.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:36 AM

I have a Pioneer Avic D3 & moved a pin on the wiring harness & grounded that wire & I can watch DVD's any time.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:32 AM

dan33900,

That is what I think I heard also, Do you have the specifics on that so I can pass to my buddy with that same unit. Thanks
Old 12-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I used a small toggle switch (like the tiny alarm ones) and a small push button momentary switch (another alarm one). The Alpine i had in my 99 ranger, when you push on the brake pedal it sends a 12v source to the brain and then when you apply the E-Brake it grounds the system out. I had the system wired "correctly" to show a cop that it would not work unless you followed those steps but i also had the switches to "fool" the system so my kids could watch movies on trips. You wire the push button to a 12v source and the toggle is just grounded. Push the button and then flick the toggle and it works. (this was on an older Alpine unit but gives you an idea). The brake light is on when you travel but the brake is not actually engaged. i could hit the toggle with my knee if i got pulled over and if the cop accused me of watching tv down the road, i could show him the process with the foot brake and e-brake. never got caught though.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by snoyes
dan33900,

That is what I think I heard also, Do you have the specifics on that so I can pass to my buddy with that same unit. Thanks
here you go

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224797
Old 12-19-2007, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the info..
Old 12-21-2007, 06:21 PM

i just bought the alpine w205 and my good friend works at a stereo place, he installed a switch that i cycle once with the brake on and its good to go. very easy and super fast to shut down if the cops roll by, just one switch. just another reason to lift the truck ,they can't see in then.

i had the poineer avic d3x and hated it, the navi is super limited and the screen is only 6.1 inches, the alpine has a 6.5 inch screen and better quality. also much easier to hook up. the navi is way more expensive with the alpin but you can get turn by turn directions to any address, and buy it later, the poineers navi was just a digital version of a thomas guide. oh and the alpine has a pulse touch screen, way nicer imo.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:05 PM

tinbanger

How do you like that 205 so far, I've been looking at that for my next purchase. Is it easy to use, does it fit well?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Many navi/dvd systems can not be bypassed due to the speedsensor hookup. With my Pioneer avic-n4 we tried a switch, but the speed sensor caught the movement and triggered the warning sign. Tried putting the parking brake in just enough to put the brake light on, but again the speed sensor. Tried removing a pin, worked, but lost use of the navigation, and ruined the harness in the progress. Many dvd/cd players can be bypassed with a switch or simply not hooking the parking brake lead up.

Quick Reply: aftermarket nav/dvd players