3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

aftermarket guage question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket guage question

Are they really needed on a stock truck? Me thinks the computer will not let things get out of control. Secondly, I was looking at the 3 guage kit from Diesel Manor, boost, pyro and tranny temp. With the 3 pod a pillar kit, does it replace the grab handle? It doesn't look like there is enough room for the handle and 3 guages. Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
With my stock truck, anyway, the EGT's seem to stay in the safe range no matter how you drive or what you are pulling... It's still nice to know where things are, though, and it takes the guess work out of cool down.

As far as I know there isn't a tripple pillar that keeps the grab handle.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think there is a double pillar that will allow use of handle still but certainly not three.

I strongly recommend gauges even on a completely stock truck if you are going to tow anything of significance. You are mistaken if you think the truck computer will keep you out of trouble.

For the most part if you are stock and don't do any heavy driving, you will probably stay in all necessary perameters and have no worries at all. But if you tow and especially if you tow heavy in hilly country, it is possible to burn up a tranny, and it is possible to exceed egt limits in the engine which can do major damage. For that reason, ignorance is not bliss-- I'd rather know what the engine and tranny is doing and stay safe. Besides, the gauges look cool.

If you want to keep the grab handle, you could consider the 3 gauge pod that sits over the rear view mirror, that is what I did.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 AM

Iv also seen a gauge mount that mounts to the top of the dash.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:39 AM

If you use the Quadzilla Commander, which I put in my new truck, they have a pillar mount for it that looks factory, super EZ to install, and keeps the handle in place. It can display 7 different functions such as EGT, Boost, Trans Temp, Water Temp, etc. You can buy it through DTR on this website and it was around $300. That includes the pyro and everything else you need to hookup EGT, Boost, Water Temp & Trans Temp.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:07 AM
EDR

I second the Commander option. Other than the pyro, which wasn't that difficult, the Commander is simple to install and it also includes alarm features.

I was towing three dirt bikes up a fairly mild incline in the mountains this past weekend, and while I didn't think I was "lugging" the engine I guess I was. Whne my EGTs hit my preset limit, the Commander screen switched over to show just the EGTs and started flashing. I slowed down and switched over to the tow/haul mode and the temps quickly went back to normal. I do have a Smarty that's set on #3, but from what I've read on DTR, you can still reach high EGTs with a stock set up.

Anyway, I'm glad I have my guages and it taught me a lesson I probably wouldn't have learned without them.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 AM

I want to get gauges for my stocker. Pyro,Boost, and Rear Diff temp.
I favor the pillar mount but I want to keep the handle.
Any Pics of the rear view mirror mount or dash mount for three gauges?

I prefer gauges over the controller style reporting
Old 08-21-2007, 01:41 PM

If you want to stick with analog gauges you can consider the SRT-10 single gauge pillar with the grab handle and use the Westach dual gauges. You could attach a bullet type mount to the inside surface of the pillar and have four different readouts from two Westach gauges and still look fairly clean. Geno's Garage has the SRT-10 pillar and Westach gauges. You can also check the Westach website for more options than Geno's carries.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:44 AM

Thanks for all the replys. The Commander looks like the way to go. Lots more features and only a few $ more than regular guages. Another question or two. Is the fuel pressure option really needed? Also, is there any warranty issues installing and using the Commander? I don't want the dealer thinking I installed some power programmer and void my warranty. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:00 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get the fuel pressure option now. You will want it if you start bombing to any degree. Also, it will help identify when your lift pump starts to go out so if you are paying attention to the gauge, you can change the pump before it leaves you stranded.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bigwhitey3500
Thanks for all the replys. The Commander looks like the way to go. Lots more features and only a few $ more than regular guages. Another question or two. Is the fuel pressure option really needed? Also, is there any warranty issues installing and using the Commander? I don't want the dealer thinking I installed some power programmer and void my warranty. Thanks.
I too am leaning towards the Commander... I have been skeptical of digital gauges, but most seem pretty happy with them. For the other option of a 3 guage a-pillar pod with grab handle, one of the members on here was fabricating one a while back, I believe it was Luvnacumns...

Shane any updates on that?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:40 AM

For those with the 6.7L, where did you install the pyro sender? Pics would be awesome! Thanks.