3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Aftermarket cab lights??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Truckman0097
Well, I am happy with my Recons - I hard wired becasue I had to, but the plug that was on them seemed kind of cheap - so I am glad I did. I do not have any leaks, but I took the rubber seal off of my OEM's and used that with the Recons... They didn't come with directions, so I am not sure I was supposed to use that, but it fit and I figured it was extra insurance from leaking....

How did you guys hardwire them, with but connecters or solder( I think thats how you spell it)
Old 12-20-2007, 10:26 AM

Never use butt connectors for any wiring unless it is an emergency only to get you to a point where you can do it right by soldering and shrink tube.

JMHO.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 AM

I figured as much, Thanks.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 AM

I went a different route than Truckman0097. Granted the plugs Recon sends with the lights aren't high quality. I used the plugs on mine and haven't had any issues yet -- almost a year.

However, I did notice that the little wires on Recon's plugs wanted to push sideways and get misaligned when pushing into the OEM female plug. The only trick I used was a little dielectric grease for lube, and put each one together very carefully make sure the little wires didn't misalign before screwing the light down. I cannot recall using the OEM rubber or not. Either way, no leaks.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Festus
I went a different route than Truckman0097. Granted the plugs Recon sends with the lights aren't high quality. I used the plugs on mine and haven't had any issues yet -- almost a year.

However, I did notice that the little wires on Recon's plugs wanted to push sideways and get misaligned when pushing into the OEM female plug. The only trick I used was a little dielectric grease for lube, and put each one together very carefully make sure the little wires didn't misalign before screwing the light down. I cannot recall using the OEM rubber or not. Either way, no leaks.
Yeah I would have tried it that way if it would have been possible. I did not have connectors on the truck with the OEM lights, they were hard wired - so I have no choice but to cut the old lights off and hard wire the Recons.... I did use wire nuts, then electrical tape, then zip tied the two together to reduce the chance of tape coming off... Did not have a soldering iron or heat shrink....