3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Aftermarket cab lights??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dezeldog
I had one of my oem's crack so I just ordered a complete set of omes. I'm gonna try to smoke them myself.

Jim
I was thinking the same thing let me know how it turns out.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:05 PM

I would not buy Recon againe,I had to splice them to work right all the time then had to use sealer to keep water out of my cab.

Pav
Old 12-10-2007, 03:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the smoked Recons and I love them. No problems whatsoever. But I did hardwire them in and I put a bead of silicone around each one before the install.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
I have the smoked Recons and I love them. No problems whatsoever. But I did hardwire them in and I put a bead of silicone around each one before the install.

Now to me that seems a little lame you pay good money for something that is suppose to be OEM replacements yet have to do all kinds of things so they work and dont leak? I do like the looks of them but not sure if they are worth the hassle I might just do what dezeldog is doing and black out my own.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Vinceg99
Now to me that seems a little lame you pay good money for something that is suppose to be OEM replacements yet have to do all kinds of things so they work and dont leak? I do like the looks of them but not sure if they are worth the hassle I might just do what dezeldog is doing and black out my own.
Well, I am happy with my Recons - I hard wired becasue I had to, but the plug that was on them seemed kind of cheap - so I am glad I did. I do not have any leaks, but I took the rubber seal off of my OEM's and used that with the Recons... They didn't come with directions, so I am not sure I was supposed to use that, but it fit and I figured it was extra insurance from leaking....

Old 12-10-2007, 09:37 AM

i bought a set of oem ones from dodge and they come with a template to drill the holes in the roof. The hardest part is removing the headliner.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:50 AM

I replaced numerous oem lenses at my own expense rather than taking the truck in. They all started to leak again over time no matter how much silicon I used. I gave up on the oem lenses and purchased a set of the smoked Recons. I did have to splice in the new wiring due to the different size of the bulb receptacle. They leaked worse than the oems. I purchased another set of smoked Recons hoping that between two sets I could 5 that didn't leak. No luck. I called Recon and talked to Todd. He was very helpful and sent me another set no charge. They worked for a while but eventually started to leak also. I sent him two sets back at my expense for them to test. I talked to him again and he told me there would be a redesign. I have had no more contact with Recon since then. This was roughly two years ago.

When the 2006 Rams came out they had the new style with a separate base gasket. I ordered a set of these new style oems, spliced back in the stock wiring and have not had any problems since. I strongly advise against cabmarker lights due to all of the headaches I have experienced with my truck. When I ordered it in the fall of 2002 you had no choice on a one ton, they came with cabmarker lights. I will never again own a truck with cabmarker lights. Buyers beware.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinceg99

Yeah, I thought that was kind of silly that they wouldn't just plug and play. The connectors were different from my OEM cab lights to the Recons. But it wasn't like it was alot of trouble to wire them. Took 1 minute each per light.

I don't know that I would have had a leaking problem had I NOT put the silicone on it. I just did it as a precaution. That just made sense to me, since the cab gets wet and exposed to high winds all the time. I am extremely pleased so far with the Recons....totally changes the look of the truck for the better, IMO.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:59 PM

Have not heard anything on these yet
http://http://www.putco.com/product/Pure_Roof_Lamp/
Old 12-10-2007, 01:44 PM

Gee, I hate to rain on everyone's parade here (and rain is the problem).

But, on my boats, I try to avoid through the hull fittings (holes below the water line) if at all possible, and the roof of our cabs is just the same, except rain and snow is what will be comng in. It seems to me that the leaking problems that many have is just an invitation for all kinds of other problems, like RUST, short circuits in wiring and mildew, mold etc. in roof insulation. Unless I have some really serious need for these lights, I personally would avoid them. Sure they do look nice, but the potential for problems outweighs the benefits imho. Also, I've heard in some states, having these lights classifies you as some sort of commercial vehicle and then you pay more for registration.

I wouldn't have a sunroof or that sliding rear window for the same reason. In AZ we get too much sun, and eventually it dries out the seals, and the leaking begins.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:58 PM

Well the people that have said "Why have them" well my truck came with them as does pretty much any other dually. I believe it is state law to have the clearance lights on such vehicles as for the SRW not sure about those but I think a lot of people such as myself want to replace their stock ones with better looking ones and when the stock ones leak anyways whats the difference? I am questioning having to do wiring and more sealing with aftermarket ones I dont like the fact that my OEM ones leak either but if im going to take it apart to re-seal them why not put better looking lights on while im at it?

Also Pav1973 I have not heard anything about them either I wish they had a pic of the actual smoked ones though, those seem to be the ionized or clear ones in the smoked pic.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:45 PM

Ill have my Recons tuesday or wednesday so ill let you guys know how it goes!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:56 AM

I knew it would happen again if I said I hadn't had any problems. I jinxed myself. With the snow we have had recently the leaking cabmarker light syndrome has reared its' ugly head again. Once again I strongly advise against anyone installing cabmarker lights on a vehicle that did not already come with them. You will be sorry.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:46 PM

I really appreciate this thread I have been considering adding them to my truck. I have read about all the leaks and such. I will probably spend my money on something else.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:51 PM

well, im about to install mine. The instructions that recon sent me in my email says that all lights will measure 5.5" from the windshield rubber. My question is that i thought the outboard lights are farther aft then the center 3? Anyone have this problem when installing? I have seen like 20 different threads on diy install and each person had somewhat different measurements.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket cab lights??