3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Aftermarket Antenna Placement

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Antenna Placement

For those of you who have performed the installation(s) of CB or Ham radio antennas in the newer Gen 3 Rams.. Where do you suggest the best placement of Antenna for ease of running the coax? Also, where do you penetrate the cab with the coax.. I'm hoping to run it thru a rubber gromment in the transmission well, the floor or the rear of the cab since I will be using Big Bob;s radio mount.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:11 PM

I can only help you with wiring into or out of the cab. I recently wired my camper back up camera and the wire into the cab goes through an existing rubber gromet that the main wire harness uses. That gromet is in the vicinity of where the steering collum goes to the engine compartment. Another way to put it is look on the firewall behind the brake or clutch pedals. To get easy access you can remove the plastic cover that is under the steering collum. The top of the cover just pops out and the bottom has two screws that hold it on. Dan
Old 12-10-2004, 08:19 PM

Brett

I have installed a dual purpose CB/Radio antenna. It simply replaces the existing antenna, uses the existing coax and connects to a splitter. The splitter outputs to the cb and radio. There are trim tabs on the splitter for the VSWR adjustment and an adjustment on the antenna for the same piurpose.

I am sorry I do not have the antenna info with me - I am in AZ for the winter. If you are really interested I will search out the antenna kit name. It costs ~ $50.00 and takes about an hour to install. This includes trimming for VSWR and removing and replacing the radio. No cutting or splicing.

Hope this helps.
Cheers f
Old 12-10-2004, 11:57 PM

I just installed a wilson 1000 magnet mount and i routed the cable through the top of the door on the side of the weather stripping follow it on the roof and tucked it down the interior siding stuff on the door jam, tucked it all the way to the floor and then ran it under my seat to my cb, i also have a mount very similar to big bobs. I have a regular cab so im not sure how this would work on a quad cab but it couldn't be to much difference...
Old 12-11-2004, 12:33 AM

I just installed a wilson 1000 magnet mount and i routed the cable through the top of the door on the side of the weather stripping follow it on the roof and tucked it down the interior siding stuff on the door jam, tucked it all the way to the floor and then ran it under my seat to my cb,
I also used this method on my '02 1500 QC with the exact same antenna. The only problem I found with this is if the antenna is run laterally across the roof, the wire will start to rub dull spots in your paint. Won't be noticeable unless you're 7' tall or standing in the bed. The solution: I reran the wire under the back door jamb, behind the back seat and through the sliding rear window. Didn't have any problems with the seal between the two pieces of glass either.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:45 AM
abb

I have mine run under the gasket on the cab brake light, used a little sealer and it sits right next to my XM . Then it runs under the step covers to the dash it works great no leaks.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:46 PM

Thru the firewall main wiring harness or if you don't have a handshaker use the plate where the clutch would go thru and drill thru it and seal it up afterwards.
As far as the mount itself, I used the 02 hood mount and put it on the drivers side, check my picks and you can see it.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:01 PM

I placed twin firesticks on the front corners of the bed i ran my coaxial down between the bed and cab caught up with the factory wiring running along the frame and zip tied it to that until i got up to the engine area, then i found a rubber grommet that is under the master cylinder i poped it out cut a small slit in it and ran coaxial thru it. Then i ran it under the carpet to a small slit i cut in the carpet in front of the seat where the radio will be mounted when i get my mount from Bob hopefully monday!! I got my SWR's tuned to 1.6 on ch1 1.7 on ch40 and they won't even move the needle on 20. Since i talk on 19 and 21 most of the time i think that is as good as i can get. I plan on running an amp but not sure where it is going to go, possibly sit on the hump under the cup holder, mine has the floor 4x4 shifter so there is not enough room for the wide mount.