3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Advice on removing / tipping the truck bed

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on removing / tipping the truck bed

I am preparing to do some tank mods (aftermarket fuel/lift pump, tank vent), but how to access the tank is the question. The options are to remove the truck bed or drop the tank. Dropping the tank when it’s empty or near empty will make dropping the tank straight forward. However, I am exploring the option of removing the truck bed – by ONE person, no lift.

I understand that there are some risks involved, but I’m sure someone has done this. After disconnecting the driver side tail light, removing the 3 driver side truck bed bolts, and loosening the 3 passenger side cargo box bolts, from the driver’s side can I tip the bed up about 2 feet? (which should be enough room to do the mods)

I can use 2x4’s to hold the driver-side of the bed up while I work on the tank. Or is there another way to prop up the bed?

Aside from the possibility of the bed falling, will the passenger side of the bed bolts hold the weight of the bed?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:40 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
If I were dead set about a one person bed lift, I would take out all the bolts, and get a small jack and jack up the bed, one side at a time, and block it up on the frame. Here's a pic for where all of your bolts are... there are only 6 of them if you have a short bed, 8 if it's a long.

Name:  DSC00577-1.jpg
Views: 24283
Size:  163.1 KB

I would defiantly recommend lifting the bed over dropping the tank... it makes the draw straw installation correct. If you have to drop the tank, support the tank as if it were in the truck, hanging, not flat on the ground, or your draw straw will be too short when you put it back in.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why make life so hard? Go down to the local rent-all yard and get a hoist for a day.

The right tools will make the job so much easier, and safer.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it took me less then 45 min to drop and install my tank. took about that long just to remove the bed
Old 04-01-2009, 03:12 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could also get a sky hook and use a block and tackle with it...
Old 04-01-2009, 04:05 PM

Get some guys to help you. Remove the bed! I was so glad I did it that way. Makes everything so easy. Just remember that if you drop the tank and put it on the groung the bottom of the tank will bow up and your draw straw length will be wrong. Do it on the truck and it makes it so easy.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 PM
D45

Originally Posted by rich
it took me less then 45 min to drop and install my tank. took about that long just to remove the bed
Same here.....I dropped the tank when I just recently installed my Air Dog 150 kit
Old 04-02-2009, 01:54 AM

Another option would be to unbolt the entire bed and then I would have to ask a buddy to help me slide the bed backwards and rest it on the tires.

.bOB and CRR - that's right, I'll call around and check.

All, good tips on things I should be aware of when dropping the tank.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:26 AM

yea becare with the connections on the end of the hoses they are a booger sometimes and you can break something if not careful. you could cut a hole in the bed over the tank. seen guys do that on a truck or 2
Old 04-03-2009, 03:59 AM

Someone mentioned to me that I could remove the 4 bolts then loosen the last 2 (by the tailgate). Then I could jack up the front and block-it as I lift it. That should give me enough room to remove the 14" fuel canister, plus do whatever else.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:23 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Just remember, those bolts go straight up and down... put too much strain on them, and something will give.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:04 AM

we used a hoist and hooked the bed in the corners and lifted it off. alot easier than dropping the tank.
i installed my draw straw with a full tank, with the fuel in the tank bottom has pressure on it, so when you cut the straw i believe this helps with some of the 1/4 tank issues some guys have had. I have run mine down to nothing but fumes.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 AM

Good thinking on the full tank!!! That one thing might help everyone have no more 1/4 tank issues.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:16 AM

Have you got a tree or roof joist you can hook into? I put a strap into each corner tie-down. Brought them together and climbed into the bed with a come-along. Stood in the middle to balance and just jacked up the bed with me in it about a foot or so. Then drove the truck out from under the bed. A rented engine hoist would do the same. I think it is easier to pull the bed than drop the tank. I have done two tank drops and three bed lifts. JMO, Good luck.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by ctd4stan
I am preparing to do some tank mods (aftermarket fuel/lift pump, tank vent), but how to access the tank is the question. The options are to remove the truck bed or drop the tank. Dropping the tank when it’s empty or near empty will make dropping the tank straight forward. However, I am exploring the option of removing the truck bed – by ONE person, no lift.

I understand that there are some risks involved, but I’m sure someone has done this. After disconnecting the driver side tail light, removing the 3 driver side truck bed bolts, and loosening the 3 passenger side cargo box bolts, from the driver’s side can I tip the bed up about 2 feet? (which should be enough room to do the mods)

I can use 2x4’s to hold the driver-side of the bed up while I work on the tank. Or is there another way to prop up the bed?

Aside from the possibility of the bed falling, will the passenger side of the bed bolts hold the weight of the bed?
I do it all the time, even on customers trucks. Never had a problem.

Quick Reply: Advice on removing / tipping the truck bed