3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Actual Pulling Power in LBS

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actual Pulling Power in LBS

Yesterday I was trying to pull an old stump from the hillside at my cabin. I had a 1/2" chain wrapped around it & connected to my reciever.

I gave it one pull & the stump was so stiff-it stopped my truck like a brick wall. I didn't want to damage anything & decided to leave it till it rotted some more.

The question is, in 4Low, how much can the truck pull assuming decent traction. I don't want to break a chain & smash my tailgate. Next time I'll get a fabric strap so I don't have to worry about that.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:00 PM

As far as the pulling no idea,I can tell you that I pull cars out of some deep air holes around here and no probloms,but I use a strap rated at 12,000 that way that trap will go before the hitch.

You could try splitting the stump before yanking on it.

Pav
Old 10-01-2007, 06:08 PM

I snapped a cheap '10,000# rated' nylon strap pull-starting an antique tractor, and we were careful not to jerk it, just a straight-line pull. I only use heavy recovery straps now. I don't think the ratings mean a whole lot, though.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mlucas
Yesterday I was trying to pull an old stump from the hillside at my cabin. I had a 1/2" chain wrapped around it & connected to my reciever.

I gave it one pull & the stump was so stiff-it stopped my truck like a brick wall. I didn't want to damage anything & decided to leave it till it rotted some more.

The question is, in 4Low, how much can the truck pull assuming decent traction. I don't want to break a chain & smash my tailgate. Next time I'll get a fabric strap so I don't have to worry about that.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
You got your truck up to full operating temperatures before trying this, right? Usually takes about 10-15 minutes of normal driving around to get all your fluids circulated like they should be and for your temps to be up to normal operating temps...your truck will NOT pull as hard from a cold crank and then directly hooked to something as it will when it's warm. Just some food for thought...
Old 10-01-2007, 07:37 PM

wood is strong, even an old stump. those roots supported a tree that might have weighed how much compared to your 7,000lb truck?

we had a big rig hit an oak tree head on and it ended up in the front of the trailer, still standing.

I have moved loaded 80,000lb big rigs on pavement, and drug a 14,000lb bulldozer that was broken down with the blade dragging a good 5,000lbs of gravel by the end of the pull. still amazed at that one.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cut down an old evergreen bush that was maybe 8 ft tall tops and 8-10 ft in diameter. Hooked one of the previous mentioned cheap '10,000 lb' straps to it and couldn't budge it in 4lo on pavement even with several good jerks. ( a couple a little harder than I would have liked.) Broke the strap at least 3 times and kept tying itg back together and trying again Stumps are tough! ended up cutting it off flush and said forget it.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:05 PM

My neighbor and friend down the way had a series of trees that he wanted removed. He cut them down leaving stumps approximately 2.5' high and about 16" - 18" in diameter. He spent a couple of days digging around the root system of stump #1 and tried pulling it out with his truck -- a half ton 4x4.

No luck at all. I have an older one ton with a 12,000 winch. Hooked it up and it just drug the truck. Put the truck in 4 low reverse and started pulling against the winch line to bury the truck tires for a better hook. Tires (12x33x16.5) dug 4 nice holes about a foot deep in the hard pack (differential housings almost touching the ground). Set brakes and started winching again, this time truck didn't move and after several lound popping noises from underground, stump finally gave up and came on out.

Based on above experiences, and seeing how tough it was to get just one stump out, neighbor changed his plans and decided to leave the rest of the stumps as is.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:25 PM

Forgot to say I have seen a stump killer cem you can buy,just do a search for it,I belive it supposed to kill and speed up the rotting of stumps.

Pav
Old 10-01-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the "grind and burn" method of stump extraction.

You can calculate pulling power in lb by just taking engine tq times all the gearing ratios, and divide by the tire radius.

For example, my truck has about 500lb-ft just off idle.

In first gear, 4-lo, I'd have:
500*5.63*2.7*3.55= about 27,000 lb-ft

Divide by the how many "feet" of tire radius. 31" tires have a radius of 15.5", which is 1.25 feet.

So I have 27,000/1.25=

About 21,600 lb of pulling force!!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you have the chain on the stump? If it was low, you will need a LOT more force to move it. Try wrapping the chain as high as possible on the stump...Give you a longer lever against the roots.

Tony
Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Stumps

My daddy was always a chain man, and he taught me to be as well this way. If you had to pull a fat woman out of Dunkin Donuts, she could chew through the strap. I always use chain and short 2-3 foot rolls to soften the ground up to let the roots go. When the stump starts moving it's time to pull straight on. I have used that method with 2wd's as well as 4wd and it works every time. I don't mean gun it 2-3 foot at a time, just an easy touch on the throttle. The weight of the truck is enough to move most stumps.

Chris
Old 10-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Banned

Medium sized tree with a big ball of roots, ground was pretty soft. Like was said above, letting the force of the truck roll a few feet and jolt it usually loosens things up.

I did have to pull a very large (30" diameter, 35' long) log that had been stuck in the mud for a few years. It took some pretty hard jarring to get it moving, but it came out! It did bend the stainless steel hitch pin like a banana though!

--Eric
Old 10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Banned

i sled pulled for the 1st time a fews ago. 4 low, 3rd gear, the sled was 36000 lbs on my factory hitch. so at least that much
Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 AM

On a wheeled vehicle you will be in the 50-75% of vehicle weight depending on surface.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TonyB
Where did you have the chain on the stump? If it was low, you will need a LOT more force to move it. Try wrapping the chain as high as possible on the stump...Give you a longer lever against the roots.

Tony
The stump was about 2ft out of the ground in very powery mountain soil. the chain was half way up & didn't want to go any higher to make sure that the chain didn't pop off & bust something painted.

Quick Reply: Actual Pulling Power in LBS