3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

AC performance mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has to be one of the best and cheapest mods I've ever seen on this site. Just got back from towing my 26 foot trailer from Phoenix to Carlsbad NM and back. I was ready to shoot my self when I rolled into town after burning up for most of the day. Home Depot here I come!
Thanks!!
Old 07-04-2008, 08:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Picked up a AC thermometer this morning. With the ambient temperature at a balmy 83 degrees and the vents set to outside air the driver side register indicated 45 degrees. Driving was around town.
I'll post later on for higher ambient and with outside and recirc on the highway.

MikeyB
Old 07-04-2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by DECEPTiON21
Just did the mod, the same as cbrahs original 2-valve and it worked out great. I haven't driven in extremely hot temperatures yet, but it seemed the air was colder, quicker than usual. Turned the dial all the way to hot and nothing but cold air came out, it was awesome. Whole mod took me maybe half an hour. Just cut section out, put the hose clamps on the hose, insert the valve, and tighten the hose clamps. Easy as pie.
When you cut the lines, how much coolant comes out? is there any need to drain the coolant or just let what comes out go into a drain pan?
Old 07-04-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very little coolant comes out as long as the truck is cooled down when you do it. maybe a cup of coolant. it will burn off your manifold in the first 5 minutes of driving it after, no worries.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:45 PM

Sweet! I am going to do this ASAP. So what is the consensus: put valves on both hoses or just the one coming from the head? TIA
Old 07-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did both on the '05, will do the same on the '01, '06, and '08. It takes an extra $5 and 5 minutes, why not?
Old 07-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Chapter President

Is anyone using tape or dope on the threads or just tightening the heack out of them and going on their way? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:37 PM

I used teflon tape on the threads. I only did the supply side and it works great, about a 10* temp drop from before the mod.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:50 PM

i used all barbed connections, so no tape or dope was needed. just slide the fittings on an clamp them.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Chapter President

Yea I was just wondering because I have the 1/2 ball valve and the compression fittings and wonder what yall were using to connect the two.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:12 PM

what size are the lines again?
Old 07-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Chapter President

5/8 ID 10 char limit
Old 07-04-2008, 10:08 PM

First off i am in no way knocking this mod, in fact i would do it to mine if i had a problem.
second in my opinion the flow from the head would be important so i would put the bypass in there (just my opinion).

In the whole life of my truck and the fleet of CTD's i maintained the only time i would have a problem with the AC not freezing you out of the cab was if the evap core was getting plugged low refrigerant or a mechanical failure.

The climate controlls are vacuum activated and i have seen quite a few problems with that.
I would think that the heater doors may not be working properly.

The big trucks have had these on for years. a lot of equipment and cars also had these either vacuum or cable operated, but i have noticed that on the newer trucks (KW & Peterbuilt) they are not used and have no problem freezing the fingers off you in the cab.

Once again i am not knocking this mod because i know that it does work.
i just think there "might" be something else effecting the poor performance of your AC
Old 07-04-2008, 10:47 PM

on the newer trucks, they are not vacuum operated. they're electric controls. and i can assure you that if you had my megacab here in south texas, you'd understand what a lot of us are talking about. the a/c sucks in these things. as i stated earlier, it was to the point that i was seriously considering getting rid of the truck because of it. this mod made such a huge difference that i am back to loving it. that big. as far as something else causing it, this sure fixed my problem. my freon was good, and recirc and blend doors were good. i agree on the bypass though. i obviously had to have it since the 6.7 turbos are liquid cooled. but even on the 5.9 i'd do the bypass just to keep the coolant moving similar to the original design. although look at the a/c "original" design and it leaves alot to be desired. maybe it doesn't matter that much. it's beyond me that in this day and age of technological wonders, dc can't design an a/c worth a crap. it's literally the worst (before mod) that i've ever had out of some 13 or so vehicles that i've owned in my short 35 years on earth!
Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 PM

I just realized after i made that post that i was in the 3rd gen topics but i thought i saw some second gen posts.
as i stated i know this mod works i just thought the newer trucks were engineered a little better.
glad this mod changed your mind on owning a CTD, just gives me one more reason i dont want to get rid of my old mechanical.

Quick Reply: AC performance mod