3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

AC Passenger Side Vent Whistle

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC Passenger Side Vent Whistle

I have had this going on for awhile now and its getting louder. With AC on re-circulation I get a whistle for the passenger side dash. I thought I read some post but did a search and can't find them. Most of the threads I found dealt with driver side or door whistle. Any thoughts?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:54 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

I know exactly what you are talking about. I installed the Heater Treater doors last summer and ever since then going into a really strong head wind I get the whistle from the passenger side vent on recirc. only. I've concluded that the recirc door is not sealing tightly and the air is pushing itself past the door and into the plenum box.

It isn't all that loud but yes it can become annoying at times.....but the way I see it.....I don't have to ever worry about my a/c doors breaking again .
Old 07-06-2011, 03:01 PM

I have the same problem with my mega Cab. Also the air doesn't seem to be blowing very hard even at full blast. My whistle goes away when I turn the recirc button off....weird. I'm going to look get into the dash this weekend.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:46 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

If the problem only presents itself when on re-circulate there is no other explanation than the fact that the re-circ door simply is not sealing the opening from the incoming air flow. If you ever......and at some point you will.....have to replace your plenum doors you will see what I'm talking about.

Most of the time if you have little to no airflow out of your vents you can remove the 3-4 screws holding the fan motor in place and pull the broken re-circ door out from there.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my sons 06 does it too dealer said its normal
Old 07-07-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is what I have learned about that little whistle over the years. Since I am one of those icky smokers, I turn the A/C from recirc to vent when I light up. Just after I crack my window (if I still have it on recirc) I will hear the whislte. When the it goes into vent mode the whistle stops. So my guess is either 1)You have window barely cracked open or 2) The seals around the doors arent doing their job very well or maybe even 3) The sliding rear isnt sealed well (if you have one). Somewhere you are getting air drawn into the cab when in recirc. Thats why I put it on vent when I smoke. Keeps the smoke going outside and keeps my truck from smelling like an ashtray.