3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

AC/heater control panel bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AC/heater control panel bad

Today, hopped in my truck, and went to put on defrost, NOPE, only vent. Tried floor and all other settings, and I get is through the face vents. AC/Heat work just fine, blower motor speeds work fine, just the vent/defrost/floor is messed up.

Is this a common problem with our trucks?

What is weird is that it never gave any signs of going out, never acted up at all. Always worked perfectly, and I know, as I change those settings quite a bit, which is possibly why it has gone bad.

I am assuming it is the control panel, but I do need to diagnose it first, but I guesss my main question is from above:

Is it common with our trucks?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This sounds more like the mode door motor or a broken mode door. That is a common problem with our trucks. Just like the recirculation or recirc door.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spooler
This sounds more like the mode door motor or a broken mode door. That is a common problem with our trucks. Just like the recirculation or recirc door.

OK, thanks. That was what I was looking for, before I started diagnosing, if there was a common problem.

Is there a recent thread onthis problem that you are describing? Thanks for your help!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spooler

Is there a thread that anyone knows of on this problem? Thanks guys
Old 12-13-2006, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1st two settings for the vent selector were not working, only working on out side air not recrc. I purchased a new hvac consol for $140.00 and all fixed.On your truck, I would assume that some of the doors should work if the console is working. On my truck the dealer found the problem far to advanced to figure out, thats why I purchased a part for my truck under wnty. from my years as a tech. I thought that the system should go to defalt and blow on the window for safety? just my 2cents
Old 12-14-2006, 11:55 AM

There is a TSB for this problem. You may have to pay a deductabel but it is covered. I had mine done before the warranty ran out. It took the dealer 3 days because they had not done one before.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Banned

OK, thanks for the help guys. My recirc works, blower motor works on all speeds, and temp control works. The only thing that does not work is the ability to control where the air comes out. It only blows out of the face vents. No floor, no defrost, and no blend of feet/defrost. Only the face vents work.

Is there a TSB on that? Is that what you are referring to? Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by marksman
I thought that the system should go to defalt and blow on the window for safety? just my 2cents

Typically, it will default to the defrost position when you lose vacuum, or the control panel goes bad. That is why I thought is was strange that I was only getting air out of the face, and not the defrost or other positions..

On this door that goes bad, is it a remove the dash for access problem, or can it be repaired without removing the dash? Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=SSminnow;1249288]Today, hopped in my truck, and went to put on defrost, NOPE, only vent. Tried floor and all other settings, and I get is through the face vents. AC/Heat work just fine, blower motor speeds work fine, just the vent/defrost/floor is messed up.

Is this a common problem with our trucks?

What is weird is that it never gave any signs of going out, never acted up at all. Always worked perfectly, and I know, as I change those settings quite a bit, which is possibly why it has gone bad.

I am assuming it is the control panel, but I do need to diagnose it first, but I guesss my main question is from above:

Is it common with our trucks?

Me too! Started yesterday blows right in my face all the time and takes forever to defrost the winshield. What a pain in the ***.
Joe
Old 12-14-2006, 03:35 PM

This may be it here: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/24-004-03.htm

Which was found here: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/index.html
Old 12-14-2006, 09:49 PM

So has DC FINALLY come out with a blend door that does NOT break????
Old 12-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nuttymopar

Great, thanks!! I was reading it, and "The system may not completely close causing a lack of air discharge out the floor vents and full discharge from the defrost outlet. "

Not sure if it means a full discharge IS coming out of the defrost or is NOT coming out of the defrost.

I am reading it as it is NOT coming out of the defrost. If that is the case. tehn that IS my problem. Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:02 AM
Banned

Going to run up to the dealer today and see what they can do for me on this TSB. Thanks guys, will let ya know.....
Old 12-19-2006, 03:42 PM

My 03 just started this the other day also. And what is weird when I put it on defrost the AC comes out of the vents without even pushing the AC button. I hope we can find a fix to this. Oh by the way I have already fixed the blend door so I know it isn't that. I will wait for you dude to see what the dealer says then try to fix I guess. Aaron
Old 12-19-2006, 03:48 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
A few days ago I found that I could not change the door positions and air only came out of the defrost holes. After some experimentation I discovered that unless the fan is at it's lowest speed, that no changes are possible. Seems like the higher fan speeds jam the doors in whatever position they were last set. Other than that everything works just fine.
Will take it to the dealer soon.

Quick Reply: AC/heater control panel bad