3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

??? about 16.5 inch wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
??? about 16.5 inch wheels.

Will the 16.5 inch wheels fit our trucks or is the brake assembly too large? I have found a few good buys on 16.5 inch wheels and from what i have found i can get them with a 37" tire easier than trying to find a 37" tire to fit a 17 inch rim...

Thinking in the next month about 6inch lift and 37x12.50R16.5...if the wheels will fit...

Thanks for any input
Old 05-01-2004, 06:07 PM

Nope, 16.5 wheels will not clear the calipers. In addition, 16.5 wheels do not lock the bead of the tire on the wheel, which means that you must keep tires at correct pressure or you will spin the wheels inside the tires, specially with the HP and torq these trucks put out. Plus if you go off road, 16.5's are notorious for popping beads..... stay away from 16.5's, they are crud.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ramasaur
Nope, 16.5 wheels will not clear the calipers. In addition, 16.5 wheels do not lock the bead of the tire on the wheel, which means that you must keep tires at correct pressure or you will spin the wheels inside the tires, specially with the HP and torq these trucks put out. Plus if you go off road, 16.5's are notorious for popping beads..... stay away from 16.5's, they are crud.
I believe that is old information.

16.5's used to have that problem, but no longer.

I thought about going with 16.5's when I updated my wheels, due to more options for bigger tires, but had heard that as well.

After getting them, then researching (backwards I know), I found out I was misinformed.

They won't fit your truck, so you don't even have to worry, but they would have fit mine.

phox
Old 05-01-2004, 11:25 PM

well i guess that settles it then. ill probably just go with a leveling kit and the 35x12.50R17 on H2 wheels. I think if i put on the 5" lift and 35's it might make the tires look too small... not sure ill have to search around for some of the pics on them...

Thanks for the feedback guys, helps to have experience out there.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:55 AM

I'm not wrong on the 16.5's.. I had them on my 01, I busted the beads all the time when I was off road and aired them down or if I really got on it I would spin the wheels in the tires. All 16.5's are the same. They WILL spin in the tire if not aired up to proper pressure. Ask any tire dealer (Discount Tire) will tell you that all 16.5's will do the same.... just the nature of those wheels.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Ramasaur
I'm not wrong on the 16.5's.. I had them on my 01, I busted the beads all the time when I was off road and aired them down or if I really got on it I would spin the wheels in the tires. All 16.5's are the same. They WILL spin in the tire if not aired up to proper pressure. Ask any tire dealer (Discount Tire) will tell you that all 16.5's will do the same.... just the nature of those wheels.
I work for a tire dealer and Ramasaur is correct. There never has been and still is no safety bead on the 16.5 wheels. Airing down for traction is a no-no. If you insist on doing so make sure you have a spare. As previously stated it is a no issue on the Gen IIIs due to the fact that the 16.5s will not clear the brakes.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:22 AM

Yeh i am going with the 17's for sure, especially since that is all that will fit on my truck. hehe.. I may go will 35's but am not sure about the impact on low end torque .. guess ill think and get to saving up some money..ugg, hate saving...
Old 05-02-2004, 12:08 PM

There are essentially two types of beads for tires manufactured today. The passenger car bead which we are all accustomed to which is the same as used on tube type tires on trucks also. The other type of bead is used on tubless truck type tires. The smallest one is the 16.5 tire. House trailer 14.5 also uses this bead. Used for its purpose it is far superior than its predessor which is used on cars and light trucks.

Ever get a bead torn from a tire machine or try to break one that has been on for years? No problem with the .5 size beads. Nothing has ever been more cussed than a big truck tire that is rusted in, banging on them for sometimes hours. Not with the .5 beads, a light rap and it is broken. A couple of tire irons and they are changed, on the road, in the back yard, where ever. I can readily change a 24.5 truck tire with what is carried on the truck, but I cannot change a 16 inch tire on my Dodge.

There is a point in size of a tire where it can no longer be forced over a rim to mount it and then needs some method of removing the bead. This is done with removable rings. Untill you have had a ring come off the truck at 80 mph coming down a hill, you will never appreciate the tubless .5 size bead. After a trip coming back down I85 in the '70s I purchased all new tubless rims and tires and took off the wheels and tires from the truck perminately. I will NEVER have tube type tires on a big truck nor any removable or split rim.

The half size beads which can be removed but do not come apart on the road, are the best safety innovation every produced for a truck. NO they are not junk or crap. They are not made for off roading at low pressures or certainly for slicks in racing. But don't put down the safety and reliability that they offer on the road. I had them on an F-150 for years, never had a bit of trouble with them.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Administrator

I guess I stand here corrected.

I was sure I heard that the 16.5's were fine nowdays.

I had them on my '74 F250 (20 years ago )and never had a problem with them,
but then I never aired down whilst offroading either.

phox
Old 05-03-2004, 04:08 AM

17" wheels the make any tire size you wish... Nitto,goodyear,procomp all ,make 37" tires for the 17" wheels... I have 16.5" wheels on my jeep and without the inner and outer beadlock I am not sure what would happen since I usually only run about 5psi in the tires....