3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

6.7 Why the BAD rap???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink 6.7 Why the BAD rap???

I am just curious why is everybody bashing the 6.7???

Just another up and cuming change in the diesel world that all trucks will be going to with all the EPA standards on NEW vehicles...

Heck I remeber all the flack said about the 24v back in 1998-1/2, all the 12v guys HATED the 24v and all the problems they had with those electronics and codes...

I LOVE my 6.7, yea I am going to miss my exhaust, and theres some issues (but there always is with NEW technology),but all in all, this truck with just a programmer and CAI is FASTER than my 24v with stacked programmers and injectors,CAI, and exhaust...

But you guys gotta remeber that we all LOVE CUMMINS on this site and no matter what truck you have 12v,24v, 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen, 5.9, 6.7,

WE ARE ALL IN THE SAME FAMILY!!! AND WE ALL ARE ON THE SAME TEAM!!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change is hard to some...Part of that is that now big brother (EPA) is monitoring your actions and limiting your options on how you want to personalize your ride. Time will tell but there are some very bright individuals working on options, and when the market place is flooded with them, programers, exhaust, injectors, etc. there will be less resistance. Personally what I have heard have been small issues and not anything major. This is coming from a past ford owner when everytime they changed the 7.3 it got worse, and the 6.0 all had major issues, not little ones.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think people are really bashing the 6.7. It's all new technology and has some teething issues and is getting worked out. Also have to remember this engine already meets the 2010 emissions requirements whereas the new Duramax and the 6.4 PS does not.

We have 3 6.7's in the family and they are doing great, with just one having a CEL light and needed the EGR cleaned. Hoping the new flash and O2 sensor fixes that issue for good.

MikeyB
Old 11-08-2007, 08:39 AM

Rembember, forums are USUALLY a place people go to discuss their issues in an attempt to find solutions. Very rarely will someone just make a post to state how they love what they have. This runs true from TV sets to trucks. On any given forum you can find a lot of people that don't like the product and some that do.

Since I've been here and spent some time I've realized that most aren't bashing the actual 6.7, it's the added systems mandated by the government and their impact to our trucks.

While I don't subscribe to the bashing of another's vehicle (especially if you don't own one), there are some on this forum that are going through a living hell with their 6.7s. But that could be said for any product on the market that we can buy as a consumer. It just hurts more and the emotions run higher when someone spends 40K to experience it.

And don't kid yourself, there are some folks around here dealing with 5.9 issues too. Otherwise there would have been no need for that section of the forum to begin with.

Personally, I'm choosing to stay optimistic about my 6.7 because it's given me no reason to be otherwise. And yes, it's at the dealer for a recall right now. No pain, no gain.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:04 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People cried about the 24Valves when they came out too......
Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 AM

Talking

I am VERY HAPPY with mine and I love the fact that I don't have anything on it yet and I run HEADS up with my buddys 6.slow PowerSmoke, and he has exhaust,CAI, and a EDGE!!!!

Also I ain't takin it in for the RECALL...
Old 11-08-2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by G-NOTE
Also I ain't takin it in for the RECALL...
They'll get you eventually so why not have it done when it's convenient for you (instead of a breakage)? They're not recalling them for the fun of it or that they need something to do. If you love your truck and want to really take care of it, keep it up to date.

Like I said in another post. It's akin to letting your personal computer get outdated. Pretty soon applications don't work right and it slows down or crashes (like your truck breaking).

If there's a big enough problem the engineers feel they need to address, why would you want to play roulette with your 40K investment? Not me.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:56 AM

Unhappy

Yeah, I guess your right, but I just got it and you know how hard of a time my POWERSMOKE, and DURACRACK buddies are going to give me!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 10:27 AM

I don't know that people are bashing the 6.7. The change was inevitable and like you said, new technology brings new problems...at least at first. But if you go from a 5.9 that has most of the bugs worked out to new technology, there is bound to be some frustration at least the first year or two. I think "we" all want the 6.7 to work. Like you said, we like Cummins and the 6.7 is probably in our future at some point.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by G-NOTE
Yeah, I guess your right, but I just got it and you know how hard of a time my POWERSMOKE, and DURACRACK buddies are going to give me!!!
Well, you don't have to tell them EVERYTHING.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:59 PM

Wink

they're close friends they will see my truck missing...

maybe it will only take an hour or so like the website says, but everybody I talked to says they have to leave the truck for a couple of days...
Old 11-09-2007, 04:11 PM

I'll buy one in 2010. Cummins is ahead of the game already.

I think the Big Brother DPF is giving it a bad rap.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:16 PM

I for one look forward to the day when a 6.7 is as good as my '03 5.9

Because some day this '03 WILL need to be replaced and 6.7 might be the only way by then.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:09 AM

if it says Cummins, i love it
Old 11-10-2007, 10:48 AM

Nicely said guys! Seriously, those last three posts were probably some of the most rational ones I've seen yet regarding this "debate".

Quick Reply: 6.7 Why the BAD rap???