3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

6.7 driving impressions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C Schomer
I drove a 6.7/aisin C&C at Blair Ne. I warmed it up good and gave it h@ll and it was a sick dog! I didn't think they had all the emission stuff til 1/1/07 but it did. I'm guessing they're going to need the extra inches to make up for all the emission garbage. I'm cured from wanting one! Craig

That is odd. I have driven 5 or 6 of them now and they have all run real good. Maybe if a guy is driving a truck that is modded all to heck it might feel weak, but compared to a bone stock 5.9 they feel like they run good to me. The Aisin tranny sure makes it feel more powerful than the 48re ever did as it gets the power to tires A LOT better. I guess I am just used to stock power, and thats why it seems to run real good to me.

Also, don't forget, if you are driving a truck that has 50k miles on it even stock it will seem to have a lot more power than a brand new truck as the new trucks take 10-20k miles just to brake in.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one I drove only had 8 miles on it - maybe that's why. The Aisin was great! Craig
Old 12-18-2006, 12:07 AM

If the Aisin is only available in the 07' cab/chassis 3500, what will the 07' 2500 get. What is the difference between the two transmissions?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Luke S
Sorry to say but your dealers are not very well informed. 5.9's are gone, as far as ordering any more is concerned. The new code guide's are out on DealerConnect showing the 6.7 as the only available option except for the underground mining industry where the 5.9 is still available. I expect to be ordering 6.7's in the pick-ups sometime this week.
5.9's were eliminated from DealerConnect over two weeks ago, but the 6.7 isnt supposed to be offered for another week in Canada. I agree we will see them in 07...

Originally Posted by ramtd02
probably pretty close too true, dealers here wont get them untill the american lots are full of them, simple fact being the only reason this engine is out is because of the americans air laws, canada has no such law, infact i have yet too see a station stock ULSD, and for that fact means these trucks are gonna be a little slow arriving.
Cant argue the Americans getting supply before us, trying to buy a Nitro right now, and the 07 models are just trickling in, with most not available till after Feb 07. As far as USLD goes, we are on target to implement by the Jan 01/07 target date, and many stations are already carrying it now. You have probably bought it and didnt know. There is very little fanfare about it up here. Mowhawk, Petro-can, Shell all have it now, and I believe the Flying J in Edmonton also has it.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Longhorn06
5.9's were eliminated from DealerConnect over two weeks ago, but the 6.7 isnt supposed to be offered for another week in Canada. I agree we will see them in 07...

Cant argue the Americans getting supply before us, trying to buy a Nitro right now, and the 07 models are just trickling in, with most not available till after Feb 07. As far as USLD goes, we are on target to implement by the Jan 01/07 target date, and many stations are already carrying it now. You have probably bought it and didnt know. There is very little fanfare about it up here. Mowhawk, Petro-can, Shell all have it now, and I believe the Flying J in Edmonton also has it.

Shell cardlock in Drayton Valley has it now - just noticed it on the receipt yesterday after fueling up.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Longhorn06
Just got my first non-blended tank of ULSD on 12-20-06, was not sold as ULSD untill they tested the tanks too ensure there was no more than 18ppm of sulfur (some allowable contamination). Sad part is Winter ULSD i saw an increase in mileage!! Maybe this wont be as bad as i thought...i figured 3-4% loss, but so far so good!!
Old 12-28-2006, 07:07 AM

Can someone educate me on fuel. Is the the 6.7 certified to run on common No 2 Diesel? Or, is No 2 being replaced which will run in the 5.9? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:23 AM

You are not supposed to run it in the 6.7, but if it isn't available and you need fuel, what are you going to do? I fill up when I need fuel, if I have a choice I use the ULSD, if not, I use the other. I have checked with my dealer about it and what will happen is the particulate filter will go through a burn mode more often than it would with the ULSD. It will smoke like crazy for about 30 seconds then it is through (it has happened with me six or seven times) The main mechanic said it wouldn't really hurt anything and to not worry about it. It will probably fill the particulate filter up quicker than it would if I ran nothing but ULSD but I make my living with my truck so I don't have a choice. The main thing is it won't hurt anything.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:58 AM

Interesting. Thanks EB.

Out here Number 2 is it. I was planning an 08' but if I can't get the fuel in the back country, I'll wait. On the other end if they replace No. 2, I'll trade sooner.

Looks like the usual chaos in the fuel market.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Apache1
Interesting. Thanks EB.

Out here Number 2 is it. I was planning an 08' but if I can't get the fuel in the back country, I'll wait. On the other end if they replace No. 2, I'll trade sooner.

Looks like the usual chaos in the fuel market.
Apache1,

By '08 ULSD will be the only diesel out there (other than offroad diesel for farm equipment, etc.). I believe LSD No. 2 isn't even being produced anymore (someone please correct me if I am wrong).
Old 12-28-2006, 12:26 PM

Less than 5% of mostly small refinery are producing LSD, If you plan to use LSD in the 07's , plan on changing the oil more often because of the reduce TBN in the CJ-4 oil.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:41 PM

Got it! Thanks guys.

My decision and a couple of other people I know here are basing their 07' decision primarily on fuel availability. We were assuming the new fuel wasn't available out here. Pumps we use only marked No. 2 Diesel.

I assume all the the truck stops are runniing the new VLSD formulation too.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dad is in the fuel business and he says LSD is about impossible to get unless its sitting in storage somewhere because all you get from most terminals in the Mid-Atlantic is ULSD. I would bet 95% of the people on this website have run ULSD in their truck even if they didn't know it. Only a few stations advertise it for 07 model year trucks that require it. Most places don't advertise it though because several loads of ULSD are required to flush out the old stuff so it will pass testing for sulfur in order for them to advertise they are selling ULSD. So unless its a rinky dink station that only sells a very small amount of diesel, chances are there is ULSD in the tank - even if the sticker says otherwise and the clerk behind the counter says "uh - i don't know"

Im betting after Jan 1 we will start seeing a lot more ULSD stickers on the pumps.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by bighornram
My dad is in the fuel business and he says LSD is about impossible to get unless its sitting in storage somewhere because all you get from most terminals in the Mid-Atlantic is ULSD. I would bet 95% of the people on this website have run ULSD in their truck even if they didn't know it. Only a few stations advertise it for 07 model year trucks that require it. Most places don't advertise it though because several loads of ULSD are required to flush out the old stuff so it will pass testing for sulfur in order for them to advertise they are selling ULSD. So unless its a rinky dink station that only sells a very small amount of diesel, chances are there is ULSD in the tank - even if the sticker says otherwise and the clerk behind the counter says "uh - i don't know"

Im betting after Jan 1 we will start seeing a lot more ULSD stickers on the pumps.

You are exactly right. Here in Missouri they have been pumping nothing but ULSD since October 15th. Most pumps still have LSD stickers on them though, and the clerks behind the counters don't know the difference. I called the home office of the company that has the stations around here and the rep told me they hadn't had the pumps certifiedf ULSD yet but that they had been pumping ULSD since oct 15th. They are supposed to have the pumps certified by jan 1 07, but I haven't seen the new stickers yet.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:29 PM

Well, what do you know.

The pump I buy my fuel from is sporting a brand new 2007 Low Sulphur sticker today. Luke's comment about Jan 1 was right on.

Quick Reply: 6.7 driving impressions?