3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

5th wheel and short bed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:5th wheel and short bed

Sierra Phil

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. I think with the Reese slider, at maximum, I will be 46 inches from the rear of cab and with the Pullrite I will be 49 inches. Of course with the RV sides sloping back like my RV it will add another 2-3 inches.

I read somewhere once on a forum that a guy said "Do yourself a real favor when entering a campground; engage your slider until you leave the campground". Makes sense to me. Why take a chance.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is ever any doubt about a trailer's clearance when turning a corner while lot shopping just carry a tape measure with you. Start by measuring the bed inside front of box to center of axle -2/4" which will be what the center of pin setting will be. When looking at possible trailers to purchase measure from the center of pin and pull tape out farther most corner of trailer on front (swing clearance) take min 4" off. Compare this measurement to the truck measurement minus the 4", if you exceed the number of the truck measurement it will connect causing damage. This takes the guess work out of will it or wont it, discuss optional tongue pieces and re-adjust numbers. Please note adding 12" of tongue does not give you 12" more swing clearance, if it is to short measure ahead of pin eg;12" then pivot from that point if this is satisfactory this the tongue length you will need. When the tongue becomes to long however a secondary clearance problem comes from the tongue hitting the truck box. This sounds like a lot of work but will dispell any discrepancies a salesman may lead you astray with. There has also been a lot of discussion about pin setting in the truck, I would recommend 2" ahead of axle center maximum and no more than center with any trailer that is over 8000lbs. The CTD front axle is a 4500lb axle and they usually scale in at 43-4500lbs empty, loading beyond this weight with a trailer will cause heavy steering in the front unit will plow through the corners. Moving the pin behind center will make it ride better but will start to lighten the front axle and cause wandering. Hope this gives you a little help in deciding what truck to buy and how to set it up. PK
Old 12-21-2002, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P Kennedy, Just checked GAWR for front on my 2003 2500 4x2, 4750#.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:05 PM

I know the basic 3/4-1 ton front ends are rated for about 4500lbs and these trucks are nose heavy. My point was that it is easy to create an overweight front end situation by improper hitch placement. I know in my truck that is still only 320 lbs that can be transferred forward. After 26 years of driving/hauling equipment I will feel a plowing front end or a light steer feel. Johnny salesman won't care once Ken leaves the dealer and the money is spent, I was just trying to give him some tidbits on preventing this. I spent lots of my money learning what screwups are worth and how to get it right economically. It's up to each individual to check the specs of their tow vehicle as like the manufacturers state "specifications and information may change without notice". PK
Old 12-21-2002, 08:36 PM

Sierra just went to Ram specs for 2003 and 4x4 axle rating up to 5200lbs, this gives a guy a little more room but not much. Fellow should be able to run up to 4" ahead of center unless you pack a 128 gal fuel tank like I do. PK