3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

5th wheel hitch install, drill or clamp tubular frame?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
For those that have installed the B&W turn over ball, is it a PITA or is it as simple as the instructions make it out to be.
It is actually pretty straight forward. Maybe about 2 hours if you are in a hurry, or 3 if you haven't done one and you take your time.

Measure about 3 times before you take the 4" hole saw to the bed.

It also helps to have a saw horse or stool or whatever and a ratcheting strap to hold the center section up (through the hole) while you bolt the rest together.

Lastly, I had a hard time getting my drill under the passenger side for the 1/2" holes for the safety chain ancors, because of the exhaust pipe. I just took a dremel tool and drilled a small hole up through the center from below, so I could drill from above and be sure to line up to the holes in the steel center section of the hitch below the bed.

Some primer is handy to have around, to prevent rust on the edges of the holes. I also hit mine with some red locktite. Next time I'd probably tow first so things settle in, then locktite and retorq each nut....

The jaws wrap around the pin completely, and it is easy to see that they are on the groove. I haven't looked at a Reece in a while, so I don't know how to compare them.

Bottom line: I'm pretty happy with mine, and would recommend the B&W.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is drilled. I bet I tow 99.% heavier then anyone here and I don't have any problums.

I have seen what happens to a B&W hitch when you haul hay out of CRP
Old 04-06-2009, 11:45 AM

Good info. Thanks Jeff. For the almost 400 install shops want around here i will spend another weekend under the truck.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Jeff in TD;2443305]...Some primer is handy to have around, to prevent rust on the edges of the holes. I also hit mine with some red locktite. Next time I'd probably tow first so things settle in, then locktite and retorq each nut....

QUOTE]

I used lock-tite too, but just like you, I did it before I towed. I guess I should check the bolts again. I always give the hitch a "visual" look over before I hook up though.

Either way, great idea to tow THEN re-torqe with lock-tite.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:35 PM

I've never put one on but I have a friend that has put two or three B&Ws on his own trucks.Said cutting the bed hole was the hardest part and make sure its measured correctly before cutting.I think he comminted that it was less then three hours.On my truck It took two guys about two hours to do my B&W,brake controller and a plug in inside the bed.Back in early 04 I paid right at $500 for hitch,controller(Reese basic) and the bed plug.Parts,labor and tax.I waited while they did it.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
I've never put one on but I have a friend that has put two or three B&Ws on his own trucks.Said cutting the bed hole was the hardest part and make sure its measured correctly before cutting.I think he comminted that it was less then three hours.On my truck It took two guys about two hours to do my B&W,brake controller and a plug in inside the bed.Back in early 04 I paid right at $500 for hitch,controller(Reese basic) and the bed plug.Parts,labor and tax.I waited while they did it.
2 hours is pretty darn fast. It took me a few days...ok, closer to a week! But I spent many of those hours worrying about drilling into my frame.

The next step is moving the plug into the bed. It's still on the bumper now, but it rubs the tail gate when I turn. Even using a bungi-cord to keep the wire away doesn't always work.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:34 PM

Two guys that said they had done ton tons of them.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by st.rodder2
I have the DrawTite bolt on kit. The studs that go thru the frame look like wheel studs. They're knurlded and lock in the frame. Mine came with a wire that looked like a spring that threaded onto tje stud and had a 12" end that I was able to fish thru the drilled hole. Then I tightened the nut to seat the stud in the frame. There are access holes in the frame for that purpose. See page 8 of the instructions.

http://www.draw-tite.com/fitguides/pdf/N30074.pdf
I have the same mounts. Fishing the front bolts through the frame was a little tedious but not the end of the world. The rest of it is a snap after the bolt fishing is done.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:29 PM

On the subject of in-bed plugs, I'd highly recommend spending a bit extra to get the kind that has factory style plugs on the other end. You just unplug the factory harness from the back of the factory bumper plug, and plug the kit into both of those. The extra cost is worth it just in time savings, plus you don't have to alter the factory wiring.

With regard to controllers, I got a basic Reese from where I got my hitch. I absolutely hated it (timer based), got educated a bit, and went with Brakesmart. It stops smoothly and quickly, better than any other controller I'd tried.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:20 PM

My cheap Reese controller to me works just fine.I have had in the past more expensive ones that I had several fail (Toskomisi(spelling) something or another)and always seemed to do so on long trips away from home.I wanted a simple basic controller I can adjust easily and this Reese seems to fit the bill. I was told it would be dependable and so far has been for 6 years.More then I can say about that other more expensive brand I used before.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:54 AM

B & W all the way. My wife and I installed mine in about 2 hours. Measure three times drill the 4" hole ( I drilled a pilot hole in a 3/4" piece of plywood ) which made it a lot easier to drill the hole in the bed. I centered it over the hole knelt on the plywood while I drilled the 4" hole, made it much easier! Then I looped a chain around the pin in the center hole and while standing in the bed I held it in place while my wife started the bolts. Simple and a very nice hitch. I did not experience any problems drilling the safety chain anchor holes like some said they did. I did drop the spare tire down though.

I had a reese set up with rails in my old truck. I would not do that again! B & W is the only way to go! IMHO

DF
Old 11-12-2020, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by 2006Mega
i have a pullrite superglide hitch and it is clamped to the frame. i have always thought that it was a big no no to drill on the rear portion of our trucks frames.
if you drill ? Get someone who is certified/ licenced/ bonded . Someone who the insurance companies can go after ! I've drilled many frames. You just can't drill anywhere!
Old 11-12-2020, 11:43 AM

Good advice.

Also, old thread. I wonder how many of us are still ticking.
The following users liked this post:
scooter Dave (11-12-2020)