3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

4x4 in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4x4 in the rain?

I'm still debating with myself whether to order 4x4 or 2wd. It's hard to justify the cost, but I really like the looks of the 4x4 better. I virtually never go offroad other than a dirt road you could drive a Caddy over.

Can I use the 4x4 in the rain at least or is it reserved for really loose conditions like snow or dirt? If not, I'll have to justify this by convincing my wife that we need it in case an earthquake takes out the roads - yeah, that's a good one.

Also, could someone with 4x4 (preferably 3500 short bed SRW) please measure the height of the bottom of the bed from the ground? I couldn't find this spec anywhere. I need to see how high my 5th wheel kingpin would be riding. If it tilts too much, the decision may be made for me. I don't want to have to flip the axles on my 5er. I think the 4x4 is about 4-5 inches higher at the roof, but the bed height could be another matter.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 02-03-2004, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have decent tires they'll provide enough traction in the rain to make using full time 4x4 a problem. I'd like to see locking hubs on the rear so that one could put it in 4hi, unlock the rear, and have front wheel drive for light load conditions. Still, pickups with no load have poor enough traction that I considered 4wd a must. I don't go off road much at all but a pickup is expected to crawl over a curb once in awhile to get somewhere, park in fields in some mud or wet grass, get thru snow, etc., all conditions that get one in trouble with no MT/AT/snow tires. I've used mine mainly in snow and ice so far, and like being able to shift on the fly.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJMurvin,

I have a 2500QC 4x4 SB. The bedrail at the rear of the truck (near the tailgate) is 57". I believe the 3500 is the same suspension, but has "helper springs" for the overload.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:23 PM

Kayjh,

I have a 2500QC 4x4 SB. The bedrail at the rear of the truck (near the tailgate) is 57".
Thanks. I was kinda looking for the height of the floor of the bed. But I think I can use this. Assuming the bed depth is close to the same for my Ford PSD as the Dodge, I can measure to the top of my bedrail and compare.

[editted] Never mind. I just checked the DC website and the bed depth is 20.1 inches which makes the floor 36.9 inches high. That should do it. Now to measure what I have and compare . . .

Thanks again,
Neil
Old 02-03-2004, 06:02 PM

Neil,

Check the thread on lowering the rear by wetspirit. He has a 2500 and took a couple of spacers out of his springs to level the truck.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:02 PM

You go to Tahoe, Big Bear or Mammoth in the winter don't ya????????? Gotta have the 4 by!! Like 1sttruck said, you never know when you will need 4 by. And the last thing you want to do is find your shiny new truck stuck in the mud cause you picked the muddiest spot on the highway shoulder to make a cell call!
Old 02-03-2004, 07:25 PM

I to decided between 4 or 2 wheel drive. Took into account that I had the old 2 wheel drive ford for 8 years and never paid for a tow. Was stuck 2 times in campgrounds and got the campground to tow me out both times for free. There is about 3 grand extra cost for the 4 wheel drive, more parts to break an maintain, reduced fuel mileage, and I suspect a stiffer ride. Then thought about how many times I didn't go someplace I wanted to due to bad roads and not having 4 wheel drive. Count was zero and we are in an area that gets plenty of snow in the winter. I went with the 2 wheel drive. Good luck with whatever you pick out and happy trails for ya. dave
Old 02-03-2004, 07:50 PM

I'd be walking up to my house if I had not gotten the 4x4. I had a 4x and 2x one ton, they both had a heavy bed and both would get me home. But not this truck empty. With 500 to 1000 # load you would do alright most times. I needed 4x to get across the level part of the drive tonight and skates to get in the door.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Chapter President

NJMurvin, had to make the same decision. Took the camper to the lake one clear Friday evening, Sunday morning it rained. I could not get that trailer loose with the 2WD, those river rock are slick as snot with a little rain and some dried up algea, Yeah, a buddy pulled it out(4WD) but my pride has never recovered. He also brings it up EVERY time we camp together.

He WON'T get that chance again!!

Go 4X4 and don't look back, besides I think 4WD rides nicer,

.02 worth, maybe not even worth that!
Old 02-03-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think you can use the 4wd on dry pavement/rain, if you get too much traction and are turning alot (around town?)

my drive line bunched up real bad when I came out of a ditch & did a U turn back across the tarmac.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:01 AM

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Strictly from counting the votes I got, the 4x4 wins. My wife wants me to get the 2wd - but is reluctantly leaving the decision to me.

The decision was made yesterday when I saw a 2WD 3500 SWB SRW QC for the first time on the road. The front just sits too low for my taste. I realize there are blocks that can be put in to raise it, but that changes the geometry and requires fooling around with different shocks. Who knows what effect that might have on tire wear down the road? - not worth the risk to me.

So, I have decided on 4x4 based almost entirely on how they look. How shallow of me . Besides, there could be a major payback for me. Price of 4x4, $3500. Pulling a buddie's truck out of a ditch or mudhole and reminding him of it every fishing trip - PRICELESS!

Thanks again, everyone. This is a great board.

Neil
Old 02-04-2004, 04:06 PM

Also, could someone with 4x4 (preferably 3500 short bed SRW) please measure the height of the bottom of the bed from the ground? I couldn't find this spec anywhere. I need to see how high my 5th wheel kingpin would be riding. If it tilts too much, the decision may be made for me. I don't want to have to flip the axles on my 5er. I think the 4x4 is about 4-5 inches higher at the roof, but the bed height could be another matter.

I measured mine at the center of the rear wheel and the bottom of the bed is 36 inches from the ground. I have the original tires and wheels. I do have a camper shell on it at this time. Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:10 PM

Papaduck,

I measured mine at the center of the rear wheel and the bottom of the bed is 36 inches from the ground.
Thanks. That sounds about right based on a previous poster's measurement. I went home and measured my Ford 2wd PSD and there's only 3-4 inches difference - certainly not enough for me to be concerned with.

Thanks again,
Neil
Old 02-04-2004, 05:52 PM

Go with the 4WD

Just tonight I went to deliver some gym equipment to my friends house, made the turn into his up hill driveway and guess what, icy slush. Rear wheels skidding, back end sliding...not to worry plop it in 4 wheel drive and up I went....worth every cent.

Ron W.

Quick Reply: 4x4 in the rain?