3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

4x2 front lifted, 2.5 inch spacer, shocks? swaybar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x2 front lifted, 2.5" spacer - shocks? swaybar?

**** NOTE EDITS ************
I had the 2.5" swapped out for 1.5" spacers because the front wheels didn't hold it's line at hi-way speeds (drift left, drift right). I contacted Daystar for advise on the maximum spacer for my truck and got two responses. One said 1.5" and the other guy said 2" (no one knows, not even Daystar). So, the 1.5" are much better and the steering at hi-way speeds is more like the stock set-up. Also, a new alignment per specs help get the old feel back too.

I had some 2.5" daystar spacers added to the front end and pleased w/the look and increased travel. The feel of the truck has changed just a bit. I'd say the steering wheel has just a little more play and less sensitive than before. Also, the truck doesn't hold its line going down the freeway as well - slight sway. I expected results like this may happen.

So, I'd like to also replace the front shocks with something like Bilstin's or Rancho's. Who knows what will fit w/the extra travel I have now?

And the sway bar looks like it may not be as effective at its new angle. Any tips on mods to the existing bar or a whole swaybar to fit the lift?
Old 01-08-2005, 02:38 PM

Give these guys a call www.jackit.com

They should be able to help you out, they have a 4x2 lift section for our Dodges. As far as shocks, a stock length should be what you need. I know on my 4x4 with the leveling kit, I replaced with the Bilstein 5100's that were stock length, they worked great.

Mike
Old 01-08-2005, 09:17 PM

Thanks! I'll contact them.

Here are some photos after the 2.5" front Daystars and the 1" block installed in the rear. I wanted the truck to still have some downward rake. Also note the newly installed Bushwacker flares look pretty close to the new power wagon stock flares.

You can see a few more detailed lift photos here:
http://mnelson.smugmug.com/gallery/350512/1/13922169
Old 01-08-2005, 10:50 PM

I am tempted to do the same mod, but I wonder how does the addition of the Daystar spacers effect the alignment....?
Old 01-09-2005, 07:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was at a alignment shop and asked about the Daystar spacers for the 2wd Dodges. The owner recommended not going above 1.5" on the 2wd because there may enough adjustments to get the alignment back into spec.

MikeyB
Old 01-09-2005, 01:54 PM

You can safely add 2.5" Daystar spacers on 04' our trucks. I think it is the 02' and earlier models could only handle a 1.5" spacer w/o the need for a new control arm and such. The resulting lift is just under 3" , though, not 2.5". Aperantly our trucks would need a new control arm and shocks at 3" or more lift. That's what my research found. I did plan to just have 2" spacers installed to avoid pushing limits. But now I want new shocks and maybe sway bar corrections too.

I spent some time at the alignment shop while my truck was being worked on. It did take them a long time to get it done, but they didn't seem to think any limits had been hit. Also, it looks to me that there is still more room for adjustment if needed.

The front end has much more travel now (as the detail photos show). The rubber bumpers don't get mashed all the time now making for a nice ride on rough roads, speed bumps and such.

Shocks:
The stock shocks still work, but they should be longer. I've heard and felt them get fully extended while going over railroad tracks and such. I'm pretty shur they'll have an early death due to that.

Old 01-09-2005, 02:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cummins600,
Thanks for the update. I may install the Daystar 1" spacers when I upgrade to 285/70/17 on my 2wd.

MikeyB