3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

4 outward dents on tailgate??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a similar type of thing; my 06 has developed a dimple (dent) under each of front door tow mirrors -about 4" down. This is on both the driver and passenger doors and in the exact same place each side. My guess is some sort of srtuctural stressing or flexing - maybe there's something in the door framing under the skin that hits it when the door is slammed. No big thing, it just bugs me each time I walk by and look down the sides of the truck. it's like I opened the door and let it hit something.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 PM

Same thing here, too. Dodge didn't fix anything else so I didn't think they would fix this. Service writers and managers, for the most part, will find anyway to get out of fixing your vehicle. This was my first new vehicle purchase and am not impressed......except for the Cummins under the hood.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:03 PM

That really sucks. Nothing on mine, nor my dads and he's pretty rough on his tailgate, slamming it shut and letting it drop. I would be ****** if I ever get any, I am **** and never drop my gate or anything.

The whole "just a truck" doesn't fly with me, I go by the thing with anyone whos around my truck, don't do anything you wouldn't do to your car, and be 100x more careful around my truck. Scratches and ding make your truck look like crap fast because they get out of control, and well I like having a 5 year old truck that cleans up to look like it just came from the factory
Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 AM

***UPDATE**** Dodge finally agreed to fix my tailgate under warrantee/goodwill. They first tried paint less dent repair and that didn’t work so they repainted it. I was told this was a manufacturing defect to a certain degree and the only way to avoid this in the future is by installing a bed liner or bedrug. It is sort of sad that I have a truck where the tailgate will self destruct (create dents) without a bed liner. When I took my truck to get it fixed I looked at 9 used trucks (3 gen -1500/2500) on the lot and 4 of them had the same dents to a degree (some more noticeable/some less) and the 5 that didn't have dents had bed liners (the hard plastic over/under the rail) in them. Dodge still will not admit they have a problem with this, but I believe that is NOT the case. If anyone has these dents and can't get them fixed contact me and I will give you all the info from the dealer that fixed mine.

Thanks,
Justin Main
Old 06-25-2009, 05:37 PM

How does the hard plastic bed liner prevent the dents?

I have a spray-in (Linex) bed liner. Will that help?
Old 06-26-2009, 06:01 AM

I am under the assumption it keeps fine debris from entering the inspection cover of the tailgate. At least that’s where the fine sand I hauled entered my tailgate; thus, caused the dents.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by chunkymain
I am under the assumption it keeps fine debris from entering the inspection cover of the tailgate. At least that’s where the fine sand I hauled entered my tailgate; thus, caused the dents.
I have a hard liner on my tailgate and have dents as well after having the truck for only a few months. Before I got them, I did not put anything in my bed other than some hunting gear.