3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

4 outward dents on tailgate??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed the tailgate spoiler - it makes a great handhold so I can let the tailgate down (or raise it up) one-handed even with the vise mounted to it.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have one dent on my passenger side since the truck was only 2 months old. Never dropped the tailgate. I thought it was kind of odd but never pursued it.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:38 AM

I spoke to the body shop yesterday. I told her about this thread and those who have responded.

She is writing up the info of denial and the report from the district manager.

When I mentioned there were about 8 other trucks now across the country of varying years, she was surprised and wondered why there weren't more trucks.

For those that were fixed, she wanted to know how the dealership wrote it up that chrysler would fix it for them and not in this case.

I pickup the gate on monday or tuesday when the report is done. Should have some pics available then.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:29 AM

Its not from dropping the tailgate it has to do with how dodge makes the tailgates tons of trucks do this I spoke to a local body shop who says it happens all the time.....
Old 05-05-2008, 10:02 PM

Well I got the "official word" from chrysler.

Body shop called the DM Janet to ask about repairing the dents.
DM asked shop what was causing the dents and if there was a TSB.
Body shop said no TSB found
DM said its not under the 3/36 or powertrain and therefore would not be covered.

Joe Kalmar from customer service (The "manager" who hung up on my father when he called in for customer SERVICE) called body shop to ask "What was going on"
Body shop explained the issue
Joe said "That repair will not be covered" Case #174*****
Body shop explained there were TWO trucks with the same problem.
Joe said "Neither truck will be covered"

So even though that was Customer Service, it appears Joe is issuing cases to keep track of how much he is saving the company.

After I receive Janet's report, I will forward my paperwork to a lawyer and copies of this thread. Hopefully this can give others leverage to get their trucks repaired.

Pictures hopefully tomorrow when I can clean up the tailgate from the dust...at 4.30 a gal, my truck doesn't see the road much lately unless working.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by snoyes
Heard about alot of these on the other Cummins website last year. Made me go out and purchase an Easy-down for my truck to prevent this type of damage from dropping the tailgate.
X2 on the EZ-Down
Old 05-09-2008, 10:43 AM

same dent on the drivers side no idea how it got there but its kinda weird all these people have the same prob
Old 05-11-2008, 11:57 PM

+ one for me on the drivers side.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:18 AM

can anyone post some pics of the dents???
Old 05-12-2008, 10:49 AM

Same dents here - haven't gone to the dealer - don't expect much out of them... they aren't that noticeable - but I thought I read a thread a while back that said it was from closing the gate to hard, not letting it drop... maybe it can happen either way? So does the EZ down stop you from slamming it shut?
Old 05-12-2008, 01:23 PM

The EZ down only works for the down, the up you still have to close manually. There is a system which provides an assist on the way up, but it is more costly and basically has to be tucked/mounted under one of the bed rails.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:22 PM

I have a 07 4x4 2500 5.9 Cummins with the same problem and dodge is no help. They refuse to fix the dents when they can see (and admitted) they have came from inside of the tailgate. I have found the root cause of the problem, at least on my truck. There is a support channel/brace inside the tailgate that is attached to the outer skin with seam sealer. The seam sealer doesn't go all the way across the channel and leaves a gap (about 2-3 inches from the tailight); thus, allowing fine debris can enter and when you close the tailgate (doesn't matter how soft) the debris will enter, work their way down and create a dent. My dents appeared 2 days after hauling a load of sand. I took the rear panel off and saw the grains of sand logged between the channel/brace and the outer tailgate skin. If anyone has anymore info or contacts at Dodge can you please help me with this? Has anyone started a lawsuit for this issue? I am a mechanical engineer and am 100% positive this is a design flaw or a breakdown in the supplier’s process when the tailgate is manufactured. I have owned 8 dodges in my life and never had suck a hard time getting anything fixed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Justin Main

P.S. I am new to the forum and will post detailed pictures this weekend
Old 06-04-2009, 04:40 AM

I've got 'em too, kinda bug me, but didn't figure I'd get anything from a dealer.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by chunkymain
I have a 07 4x4 2500 5.9 Cummins with the same problem and dodge is no help. They refuse to fix the dents when they can see (and admitted) they have came from inside of the tailgate. I have found the root cause of the problem, at least on my truck. There is a support channel/brace inside the tailgate that is attached to the outer skin with seam sealer. The seam sealer doesn't go all the way across the channel and leaves a gap (about 2-3 inches from the tailight); thus, allowing fine debris can enter and when you close the tailgate (doesn't matter how soft) the debris will enter, work their way down and create a dent. My dents appeared 2 days after hauling a load of sand. I took the rear panel off and saw the grains of sand logged between the channel/brace and the outer tailgate skin. If anyone has anymore info or contacts at Dodge can you please help me with this? Has anyone started a lawsuit for this issue? I am a mechanical engineer and am 100% positive this is a design flaw or a breakdown in the supplier’s process when the tailgate is manufactured. I have owned 8 dodges in my life and never had suck a hard time getting anything fixed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Justin Main

P.S. I am new to the forum and will post detailed pictures this weekend

Hmm, I was just about to post something like "don't drop or slam your tailgate".

The bad part is that this is the only dent in my truck! I'd fix it but can't pop a dent IN .

If it bothers people they probably should pull their inspection panel loose and report back here and get a list going. We can find out what the problem is.
I just thought it was from dropping, overloading, or slamming the tailgate.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:59 PM

Another truck here with this problem. Always thought it was kinda weird, but its a truck not a sports car I use it and dont get worried about a little dent or scratch. I just figured a load shifted and hit the tailgate hard. No rust for me though.

Quick Reply: 4 outward dents on tailgate??