3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

4" aftermarket HID lights in stock 2005 bumper ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to have HID's in the low beams on my chevy and after i rolled it and got my dodge, realized its the same bulb as the fogs in the bumper. Mounted the ballest and snapped the bulbs in. Bright as hell and most of the time theres no need to use the regular headlights. Just a thought so that you dont have to buy new housings.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:14 AM

Anyone do something like this to the fogs on an '01 2500? I want to go HIDs but I also want to replace the stock housings...mine look like crap. I don't really want to cut wiring, I guess I could buy a pigtail/connector from my parts guy and use that to fire the ballast so I don't have to cut, but I'm just wondering if anyone has done this before.

Thoughts?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by msiminoff
These lights are AMAZING!! There is no comparison at all...they are way WAY brighter and offer far better illumination than the stock fogs. The beam pattern is excellent

The only downside is that they definitely cannot be used if there is any oncoming traffic.... way too bright and do not offer a sharp enough cut-off for that.

was wondering,...if you rolled the light 90* would the "cut off" pattern be visible then? looking at the reflector it appears it has vertical ribs(?), if the lamp was rotated, the ribs would be horizontal, thus giving some kind of cut off of light.......

nice job by the way. it looks "Factory"
Old 01-29-2009, 12:57 PM

so they are defently to bright to have on all the time?? thanks
Old 01-30-2009, 06:31 PM

OK, now you have me thinking that I want a set of these. I tried putting a #886 bulb (50W) in place of the #896 bulb (37.5W) in the stock (looking like crap) housing and it doesn't look like it makes any difference. I need new housings (well, need is a strong word, but you know what I mean.) So, my question is: are these nice little 4" lights really HID? I know a lot of stuff is sold (fleebay) and marketed as HID or Xenon, when it's really just a halogen bulb. So, these things really are HIDs? Internal starter and ballast, eh?

It sounds like you're happy with them, and, in the end, that's what matters. I just want to be sure they are what we think they are.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:39 PM

OK, I know it's been almost 4 months since anyone's added to this thread, but here's the update. I broke down and ordered a set of these 4" HID lights and set about fitting them into my '01's bumper. Quite a job, but here's the short version: fabbed up two mounting brackets from angled steel, drilled holes in them and mounted the lights. I had to move the bumper about an inch forward from where it was stock because these lights are deeper than they look, and that was even after I used the Dremel to remove some of the plastic from the bumper insert that the lights peek through so I could move the lights more forward. Then came the wiring...

I originally wanted to tie them into the stock fog light wiring harness. After all, the stock lights are 37.5W and these HIDs are only 35W, so it should work, right? Wrong. The stock wiring just didn't have enough juice to ignite the ballast on both of the lights (one would light, the other wouldn't.) So I wound up using the stock wiring harness to trip a relay, and used heavier wiring right to the passenger battery to fire them. I still need to fine tune the aiming, but I think it's pretty much done. The light output is...well, let's just say there will never be a need to use my high beams again.

All in all, it took a good deal of time to get them to fit right, and maybe buying a new stock reflector first and then buying an HID kit for that MIGHT have been the better way to approach it. But so far, I'm happy with the results.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I know it's been almost 4 months since anyone's added to this thread, but here's the update. I broke down and ordered a set of these 4" HID lights and set about fitting them into my '01's bumper.
Where did you pick em up from? The old links dont work anymore.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Clane
Where did you pick em up from? The old links dont work anymore.
Yeah, I noticed that, too. I did a search on "Custom Accessories HID" and here's where I found them:

http://www.sidebysidesports.com/4hidlicuac.html

Nice folks to deal with, took a while to ship since they're in CA and I'm in PA, but they eventually got here.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks!.... 310 for 4 lights... not a bad deal...
thanks again...
2 for the truck and 2 for the rhino!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 PM

You'll have the coolest Rhino in town. You can host football games at night if you want.