3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

3500 Commercial Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3500 Commercial Insurance?

I just received my title and noticed that my truck (03 3500) is classified as Commercial (California). What does this mean and what is the difference between Commercial and non commerical (recreational?)

I read in a post a while ago all 3500 trucks are considered commercial while a 2500 can be classified as recreational

Is there any way to change this classification to recreational?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:41 PM

Its been awhile since I was involved with the Calif. DMV but as I recall, the biggest difference in commercial versus non is the vehicle reg fees. The heavier the truck the more California will bang you. The only way you can get rid of the commercial status is to have it reclassed as a "housecar". That means you have to have a camper or camper shell on it, which is NEVER removed. If you are caught driving down the road without the shell or camper the ticket will cost a lot more than the commercial reg. That is the reason I went with a 2500 instead of the 3500 (i'm moving back to Ca. this spring). I will still pay more for reg than a 1500, but not as much as the 3500. Again, this was the law when I retired from the PD in 97. I can't say for certain it is still that way. Good luck
Old 01-04-2004, 10:39 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
RamRat,

It's too bad , but in California it's practically impossible to have a non commercial pickup. Doesn't matter if it's a one ton or half ton.
I have tried to be non commercial before and years ago it was sort of possible if you said just the right thing, I think. Of course, if you were non commercial, it meant you could not have the bed empty, or make a personal run to the dump on Saturday, or haul a camper. Those are all things that might be done for hire so you were commercial. There used to be a distinction between the two, but a few years ago they changed the wording in the code to read "commercial type vehicle" or "commercial like vehicle". In other words, if your truck is similar to other trucks that are commercial, then yours is seen by the State to be commercial! Try to argue that!
Does anyone ever wonder why so many are mad about the vehicle license fee ripoff?
License it in Oregon or Nevada if you can. Just make sure you do it correctly.

Wetspirit
Old 01-05-2004, 01:10 AM

I'd be careful about licensing out of state. Even if you have an address out of state you can reg to. The CHP is very agressive on foreign reg. If you are running out of state plates they will look you over going down the road. Unless it looks like you are visiting (like clothes hanging on a rack in the truck) there is a good chance you will be stopped. One trick to use is look like you are unhooked from an RV and siteseeing. Try flipping your tow mirrors out and hanging a beefy hitch on your receiver. But again, your taking a big chance, especially if you have a California drivers lic. I have seen cases where people have been prosecuted beyond a traffic ticket for criminal fraud. Yep, reg fees are much more reasonable just about anywhere out of Ca. I pay $50 a year in Idaho for my 04.I'm going to miss that!
Old 01-06-2004, 09:06 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the CHP is going to hassle people just because they have an out of state licence plate, that is, unless they disguise their vehicle by hanging clothes in the back window or pretending they just unhooked from something.
As I mentioned before, you should do it corretly. Don't do anything illegal and don't be paranoid.

Wetspirit
Old 01-06-2004, 10:22 PM

Hi Wetspirit, I wouldn't count on the benevolence of the CHP. I spent 21 years as a California Police Officer in the Bay Area. I have a number of friends who are retired and others still on the job, at the CHP. About 15 years ago the State of California decided it was losing too much money in vehicle reg fees to Californians who were registering out of state. A directive was sent down from the CHP commish to target "foreign reg vehicles"(out of state). Talking to some of my buddies still on the job, that hasn't changed, especially with the roll back of the VLF fees in California. There is no "legal" way to do it. The law is clearly spelled out in section 4000(a) of the California vehicle code. The old timers might not give someone a second look, but I can guarantee the rookies will. Oregon has done the same thing because a lot of RV's are "straw" registering there. Just isn't like it use to be. Everybody has their hands in your pocket!
Old 01-06-2004, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess you know more about it than me.
I did it legally and I'm not going to worry about being stopped. Life's too short to be sweating stuff like that.

Wetspirit
Old 01-06-2004, 11:19 PM

And thanks you both for replying. I appricate it. I will be keeping the Commercial classification as it just doesn't seem worth all the hassle otherwise.

Thanks again
Old 01-07-2004, 12:22 AM

I agree with you Wetspirit, lots of other things to worry about in life...but I am curious, how did you do it legally????I'm always willing to learn a new trick! Especially since I would love to hang onto my Idaho reg when I move back to Calif. If you wouldn't mind sharing, you can PM me with the info. I've been retired from the game about 7 years now so I probably missed something...Thanks
Old 01-07-2004, 07:43 PM

Wetspirit,

If you have an angle, I would sure like to know how you do it. I've been thinking of all kinds of schemes to buy a Nevada HO truck. Now it looks like I'll be a guinea pig for the new 600. I hate to do that!

Rick

P.S. PM me if you can help. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:29 PM

RickE,

I don't think this is the proper forum and I am definately not the proper guy to be giving legal or financial advice. But I will say one thing. Anyone that buys, or is planning to buy one of these trucks would be doing themselves a huge favor to spend an hour with a tax accountant and find out about the incentives from the government to encourage the purchase of trucks and SUV's for business use.
Many of you are already contractors or businessmen. If your business, and it may be only you, is based in Nevada or some other state, and owns the truck, you are driving a company vehicle. It is not illegal to drive that truck to California and you are not pretending to live in another state.
Just check it out for yourself.

Wetspirit
Old 01-10-2004, 01:34 PM

RickE,

I don't think this is the proper forum and I am definately not the proper guy to be giving legal or financial advice. But I will say one thing. Anyone that buys, or is planning to buy one of these trucks would be doing themselves a huge favor to spend an hour with a tax accountant and find out about the incentives from the government to encourage the purchase of trucks and SUV's for business use.
Many of you are already contractors or businessmen. If your business, and it may be only you, is based in Nevada or some other state, and owns the truck, you are driving a company vehicle. It is not illegal to drive that truck to California and you are not pretending to live in another state.
Just check it out for yourself.

Wetspirit