3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

315s and gear ratio

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From personal experience...

'03 Quad cab, 3:73 rear, 47RE auto trans.
I've got two sets of tires/wheels...
The stock rims with BFG 265/70/17s. Very good tires for daily street driving. When these wear out (57k on 'em now), I'll probably buy a slightly larger replacement tire.
I also have a set of the Weld wheels made for KORE, with 35x12.50R18 Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain tires. These things ROCK! Have about 6k on 'em and I don't see any real wear yet. Most of the miles were off paved road in Baja. Expensive and tough. Should last me many seasons.

When running the bigger tires, there are a couple noticeable changes. Off the line and general acceleration is a bit slower, and it changes the way you drive. These are pretty darn heavy tires and wheels, so it adds a bit of weight. But they cruise well on the highway. Using my GPS, I notice there is about a 5mph difference in true speed at 75mph, which is 70 indicated on the speedometer. Cruising is very comfortable except using cruise control on a big hill, where it doesn't seem as responsive. Air 'em down in the dirt and you get a good ride that can go anywhere.

With the stock tires, the acceleration is a bit quicker (don't forget I've only got the stock Standard Output CA version) Ride is a lot harsher. Since I run them at higher pressure, mileage is probaby a tad higher, but not much. I've got cuts and slices in the sidewalls from rocks on my first Baja trip. I don't know how long they'll last, but there's still decent tread left.

Overall, I really like the larger 35's better, except for the gearing. In my opinion, they certainly fill out the wheel well better, ride a bit nicer, give a bit more clearance, etc. I could swap gears to a 4:10 to accomodate the larger tires, but then I'm not sure how I'd like them on the highway every day. Since I'll need to replace the BFG's soon anyway, I'm going to split the difference and see if I can get a set of tires in the 285/295 range in an AT style (more highway friendly) tread. I spend 90% of the time on the road commuting and travelling. I just swap on the Toyos when I head south of the border for a couple weeks, or up into the hills.

I'm very fond of BFG tires, having had 6 sets on various vehicles in the past. This is my first set of Toyo's and I'm very impressed. I'll probably choose new tires from either of these in an E rating. It's a very personal choice, but I hope this helps.
TP
Old 07-14-2005, 09:46 AM

So far with 35's and 4.10's I am very pleased. Had the pinion factor reset. The combo is very close to 265's and 3.73's. Fuel mileage is just a tick better than stock.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:29 PM

Well I've got the 315s on now and I think w/ the 6spd and 4.10s it is almost perfect. I don't need to go 70+mph most of the time, so my RPMs are right at 2K while doing 68mph.