3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

30,000 Mile Service: Do or Do Not?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
30,000 Mile Service: Do or Do Not?!

My truck is do for it's 30000 mile service. I am wondering if it is worth taking it to the dealer for this. I bought the truck used with 25000 miles on it already. Changed the oil and filter right away ( Rotella T and a Fleetguard ). If you read the Manual, it has a pretty big list of services. At this mileage should I worry about the Tranny fluid and the Differential fluid. Lastly does anybody know the price of this service?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the guy i bought my truck from did it at a dealer right before I bought it.

The reciept was for a thousand annd some change.
Glad I didnt pay for it.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:35 PM

I don't have my owners manual handy, what service is required? Isn't it just basically the diffs and oil? Easy to do on your own and save a lot of money...
Old 08-17-2007, 07:50 PM

Do some reading on here; there are plenty of posts detailing the diff and trans oil changes. You can do it yourself for much less money than a dealership. Plus you'll know the job was done right.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do it yourself, you will save a lot of money. "If it ain't broke, don't take it to the dealer"!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:04 PM

The dealer were I live wants right around $600 for the 30,000 mile service. One of my airman had it done and they charged him over $300 just in labor, and $200 something in parts excluding air filter change (K&N type) and oil change (came with 12 free ones). Unless you want a tight paper work trail it's not worth it. The only two things they do that most people can't do /don't know how are a computer reflash for updates and adjusting the transmissions bands(which is real easy, PM me if interested in know how). As far as fluid change intervals it all depends on type used/frequncy used,ect.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:56 PM

They tell you that you should have all the service intervals done. They use the line to insure that your warranty is not voided. It's just a way to try to get you to pay alot of money for things you can do yourself or just keep up the basic maintenance yourself and it will be fine.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have worked at a couple dealers (1 of which was a mopar dealer) and watched them in depth on various vehicles. I would just go out and buy all the fluids and filters and keep reciepts on file and do it yourself. Save a TON of money. The mopar dealer charged $550 to do a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it took the tech 3 hours to do and they flagged over 5. Grease all fittings, change all fluids and filters, drink a beer and call r dun!
Old 08-18-2007, 12:18 AM

i had the mechanic next to my shop at work do it theres 2 different ones depending on your driving style he said the one for me was just like a glorified oil change if you look at your maintence book theres a A side and a B side. alls i had to do was a oil change, fuel filter and rotate the tires. stupid but i had it done anyways cuz i also bought it used with 27k and i just wanted to make sure it got done not knowing if any other did.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:02 AM

Iv had the dealer do mine for the fact that it keeps the warrenty in effect and I dont really have the space or the facility to dispose of the old fluids.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:41 AM

Here is the 30,000 mile checklist for my 2006

Change Engine Oil and Oil Filter: ($40.00 and higher depending on oil and filter)
Lubricate Front Drive Shaft Fitting: (no cost if you have the grease and the gun - figure $25.00 if no grease and gun)
Rotate Tires: (no cost)
Check Spare Tire Pressure: (no cost)
Lubricate Outer Tie Rod Ends: (see lubricate front driveshaft fitting)
Inspect Fan Hub: (no cost)
Inspect Damper: (no cost)
Inspect Water Pump Weep Hole for Blockage: (no cost)
Replace Fuel Filter Element: ($15.00)
Change Rear Axle Fluid: ($40.00 and higher depending on fluid)
Change Front Axle Fluid: ($30.00 and higher depending on fluid)
Change Transmission Fluid: $30.00 and higher depending on fluid - add another $15.00 if you replace the filter)
Clean Air Filter: (no cost)
Inspect Coolant Hoses and Clamps: (no cost)
Inspect Batteries and Tighten Terminals: (no cost)
Check Coolant Reservoir: (no cost)
Check Brake Master Cylinder: (no cost)
Check Transmission Fluid Level: (no cost)
Check Transfer Case Fluid Level: (no cost)

You should be able to do all of this yourself for $150.00 - $200.00 - none of the above are hard to do yourself - just need some basic hand tools is all - keep all of your reciepts for your warranty.

Set aside a Saturday to become "intimate" with your truck and by the end of the day you will be strutting around like a proud peacock and grunting like Tim the Tool Man

Good Luck
Mac
Old 08-18-2007, 08:38 PM

Ditto MountainMac
Old 08-18-2007, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most Auto parts stores will recycle fluids

Originally Posted by donnee
Iv had the dealer do mine for the fact that it keeps the warrenty in effect and I dont really have the space or the facility to dispose of the old fluids.
Autozone and some other auto parts stores will accept used oils for recycle at no charge as part of a recycle program to keep said fluids from being poured down storm and other drains. I bottle my old fluids up into the bottles I just emptied and drop them off at Autozone.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:33 AM

I do my own service,but when ever I buy a new vec(new to me) I always take it to a wrench turner I trust to give it a once over,especially if I am unfamiliar with it.

Although I did my own service on the truck,all I had him do was check it out for probloms,mine did not come from a Dodge Dealer.

You will save some cash doing it yourself and you will know it's done right,not hard to do.

Two things I bought right off,and OBE 2 Scanner and the service book,the scanner was about $200 for Advanced Auto,thats about there highest priced becuse of it being updateable via the internet.

Pav
Old 08-19-2007, 06:01 PM

Dealer wanted $150.00 front and $150.00 rear, And $110.00 for the fuel filter. That is why I am searching these forums.
I guess I will invest in the gaskets from Mopar. Or any suggestions.

Quick Reply: 30,000 Mile Service: Do or Do Not?!