3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2010 Ram HD Spied!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
looks like they are still using '04 wheels and hub caps
Old 07-01-2008, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was driving by our local Dodge dealer and saw a PW and thought "Sweet! It has a Cummins." Looked everywhere for info and everyone said it was a no go. So I stopped by and asked the Manager about it. They had just sold it but it did have the Cummins. The ole man had the PW sent back to Dodge to have a Cummins put in and they did, all the while keeping the warranty. Then the 07's came out and he upped to the new year. It was sweet to see. But no camera
Old 07-01-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like its still auto locking front hubs
Old 07-01-2008, 05:49 PM

Unless you're plowing snow or doing some serious off roading (like you'd need a jeep for, not somthing you could take a 20' long truck over), you owe it to yourself to put about 100,000mi under your butt in an IFS truck. IFS and SFA both have their merits.
I've never opened up the front end on an IFS GM truck, although the one with the most miles only had 170k on it, but I've replaced plenty of steering knuckle U joints.
I had a 04 GMC 1/2 ton IFS. Only had 13,000 miles on it when I sold it. Had so many problems I was afraid to keep it any longer.

I just hate the IFS. Its garbage. Especially the torsion bar setup. At least the coils are a little better setup. Still too many issues.

IFS gives more wheelhop, less suspension travel, and less durability. The GMs eat front end parts like no other(ball joints, tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm). People on here complain about the Dodge stuff, they should try owning a GM. This is on stock trucks. Crank up the torsion bars or throw on a lift and your nightmares begin.

I work at an auto parts store and I bet I sell 10:1 Chevy IFS ball joints, tie rod ends, idler/pitman arms to Dodge and Ford combined. This doesn't include selling a ton of CV shafts too!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:22 PM

I work at an auto parts store and I bet I sell 10:1 Chevy IFS ball joints, tie rod ends, idler/pitman arms to Dodge and Ford combined. This doesn't include selling a ton of CV shafts too![/QUOTE]

Ford and Chevy sales combined are probably close to being 10X Dodge sales...
Old 07-01-2008, 08:06 PM

If the mirrors on that camo'ed truck are gonna be the production flipout towing mirrors on the 4th Gen, I think they're gonna be nice looking. I already like them after seeing those spy shots.

Scott
Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by dieselJon
I was driving by our local Dodge dealer and saw a PW and thought "Sweet! It has a Cummins." Looked everywhere for info and everyone said it was a no go. So I stopped by and asked the Manager about it. They had just sold it but it did have the Cummins. The ole man had the PW sent back to Dodge to have a Cummins put in and they did, all the while keeping the warranty. Then the 07's came out and he upped to the new year. It was sweet to see. But no camera
So if they don't offer something you want from the factory you can just "send it back" and get something you can't order?? Rightt.. I don't doubt they exist as aftermarket customs, but Dodge wouldn't be doing it. Someone would have to give me proof of that happening.

P.S. Please ask that manager to take a Wrangler Unlimited 4 door (in Resuce green) and "send it back" to get that little diesel in the Liberty for me. I'll be down to pick it up.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennRMK
I had a 04 GMC 1/2 ton IFS. Only had 13,000 miles on it when I sold it. Had so many problems I was afraid to keep it any longer.

I just hate the IFS. Its garbage. Especially the torsion bar setup. At least the coils are a little better setup. Still too many issues.

IFS gives more wheelhop, less suspension travel, and less durability. The GMs eat front end parts like no other(ball joints, tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm). People on here complain about the Dodge stuff, they should try owning a GM. This is on stock trucks. Crank up the torsion bars or throw on a lift and your nightmares begin.

I work at an auto parts store and I bet I sell 10:1 Chevy IFS ball joints, tie rod ends, idler/pitman arms to Dodge and Ford combined. This doesn't include selling a ton of CV shafts too!
To each their own I guess. Too bad you had poor luck with the GMC. I'm not putting down either setup, but I've got only 90k miles on my '02 Chevy right now and the front end is still as tight as a new one.
Of course I expect the Dodge SFA to hold up as well.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:07 PM

I think the IFS definitly rides nicer then the 2nd gen Dodges or pre 05 Superdutys. However, my buddy has an 05 Powerstroke and it rides very close. 3rd gen Dodges are also very close.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennRMK

That's interesting because in my area the plow truck of choice is an IFS gm and I've never heard of anybody having front end problems. A buddy had an 01 dodge cummins and that front end always gave problems. When searching for a new plow truck he went with an IFS GM. I'm on the gm forum and front end problems are rare. Just because a SFA looks beefy doesn't mean that it is. ALL the new truck setups suffer from the same weak link that ultimately limits their strength and longevity, unit bearings instead of fixed spindles.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:22 PM

That's interesting because in my area the plow truck of choice is an IFS gm and I've never heard of anybody having front end problems. A buddy had an 01 dodge cummins and that front end always gave problems. When searching for a new plow truck he went with an IFS GM. I'm on the gm forum and front end problems are rare. Just because a SFA looks beefy doesn't mean that it is. ALL the new truck setups suffer from the same weak link that ultimately limits their strength and longevity, unit bearings instead of fixed spindles.
Not my experience. Seen a lot of chevys with bad ball joints and tie rods with 40k miles. With a lift stuff goes twice as fast!
Old 07-14-2008, 01:15 AM

Had a chevy 3500 once. nice truck. The 4wd however was a sad excuse when it wanted to work the 1/2 ton tierodson a 1ton truck flex like crazy or break when trying to pull something heavy even with stock tires. Changing the idler arms every 20 thousand miles or less gets old too.
The unit bearing thing is a drawback but atleast the ford/ dodge guys have the option to do away with them without major modification and even upgrade to lockers and WAY BIGGER hardened shafts like I did.
I think GM would sell way more trucks if they had a solid axle option for the front. But then again we are talking about the company that put a front axle in the rear.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:19 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Berak
So if they don't offer something you want from the factory you can just "send it back" and get something you can't order?? Rightt.. I don't doubt they exist as aftermarket customs, but Dodge wouldn't be doing it. Someone would have to give me proof of that happening.

P.S. Please ask that manager to take a Wrangler Unlimited 4 door (in Resuce green) and "send it back" to get that little diesel in the Liberty for me. I'll be down to pick it up.
Exactly. Just "send it back" and get it done right! Doh! What was I thinking? I could have just sent my Dakota back and got a Sprinter diesel engine in it to replace that boat anchor V6. Come to think of it, that V6 would not even make a good anchor, but apparantly the factory is willing to re-tool and just make it right.

The CTD will not fit in a standard PW because of the front winch. It certainly could be done but it's not drop-in.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:42 AM

Friend of mine who sells and installs snow plows met with GM brass to figure out what they can do to remedy frame twisting and even cracking on their HD trucks. Apparently too much motor and weight for the frame, kinda like old Nova's.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by megacabdad
Friend of mine who sells and installs snow plows met with GM brass to figure out what they can do to remedy frame twisting and even cracking on their HD trucks. Apparently too much motor and weight for the frame, kinda like old Nova's.

You mean the frame that hangs a foot below the body that you could get hi centered on a speed bump, and the huge beefy looking front end are all for show. Sounds like nothing has changed over at good ol GM

Quick Reply: 2010 Ram HD Spied!