3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2007 Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 Power Steering

Hello All. I am new to the forum and buying a brand new 2007 Ram 3500 Quad Cab dually with the 6.7. Took it out for 2nd test drive today. I am wondering if any of you guys have noticed VERY stiff steering on these big trucks. Like when you are at stop and just turning the wheel from left to right. The one I drove seemed very stiff, but as soon as the truck started moving at all, then it got really soft and easy to turn.

Went and looked at some 2008's at the same dealership, and one of them turned pretty hard too. There were a couple that turned easier, but there was one that turned just like my 2007 as well.

I have a 2006 F-250 right now and getting sick of it guzzling gas, so looking to trade it off and get a diesel for better MPG.

Have any of you guys noticed this querk with the power steering on these Dodge 3500 quad cab dually trucks as well? Remember the truck turns fine when it is coasting even the slightest amount, but if you some to complete stop then try to turn the steering gets really stiff and even seems to want to bind in some places.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

neelre
Old 12-25-2007, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know if the PS is the same between a 5.9 and 6.7 but my steering isn't stiff when stopped. Now granted it is harder to turn when stopped but it doesn't seem to be what you're seeing. Was it exceptionally cold at the time? Was it worse at the beginning or end of the trip or no change at all?

I have seen some posts on here where folks changed their PS fluid to Amsoil synthetic and gained smoother steering and braking. Whenever I get around to changing my fluids I'm going Amsoil for the diffs, trans, transfer case and the power steering. The diffs take gear oil and everything else is ATF.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2007, 01:12 AM

Smile

It seemed to be the same just about all of the time even after the trip. My F-250 turns like butter (nice and easy).

One thing I did notice is that the front tires seemed to be a little low. I asked the dealer to inflate them before I took delivery. I will buy this truck on Wednesday after Christmas. But, I have never known low (not flat) tires to have a MAJOR impact on power steering when the vehicle is stopped.

It was cold, (about 30 degrees outside), and the funny thing is that one of the other 2008's on the lot I checked seemed to be the same way. The other 2008 I looked at was not so stiff.

When you turned the wheel to the left, it really seemed to have a bind in it. The right was much better to turn.

I complained about the steering after the 1st test drive, and then they said they took into the shop and put a new power steering box in it. But, when I drove it the second time, it seemed to be the same.

Remember that it steers effortlessly with just the slightest bit of truck movement, but it sure turns hard when the truck is standing still!!!!

All of the steering tests I did were on the blacktop. Never did it on gravel.

I wonder if the power steering pump is the problem? However, I have heard that the brake system and pump are tied into the same system. The truck has GREAT braking capacity. No problem with the brakes at all.

neelre
Old 12-25-2007, 07:53 AM

I noticed mine did the same thing when it was new. Not actually hard to turn when stopped, just a couple tight spots. Haven't noticed it in while, actually forgot about it till I saw your post. Soon after delivery, I bumped my front pressure up to 65, maybe that made a difference?
Old 12-25-2007, 08:35 PM

My 06 the steering was very tough when turning the wheels when not moving.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:00 PM

My 2006 has 25K on it, the power steering is functioning excellently. I have only had to turn the wheels once or twice at a dead stop, it was tight, but then with the weight of these Cummins engines I would expect it to need a little effort when trying to turn dead.

I always am starting to roll a little before turning the wheels, very hard on the PS pump and seals, especially when cold.

CD
Old 12-28-2007, 12:15 AM

Hello guys:

I went ahead and bought the truck. Inflated the front tires a bit more and it seemed to fix the problem. The truck turns well now, as far as I can tell. Who would have thought that low (not flat) front tires would make it impossible to turn the wheel at a dead stop?

neelre