3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2007 Gauge Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does come with a bunch of it's own sensors that you have to install. And some parameters require you to tap into the factory harness and use factory sensors. You can use it to control add on tuners from Quadzilla and others.
The new "Scout" gauge is quite a bit different than the older Commander.

In normal form the Scout makes 1 simple connection on 05.5-09 Dodges and 3 simple connections on 03-05 Dodges. You need power, ground and data link connection.

If you want to monitor egt that is seperate and you will have to install it. We also have a FP transducer for it and a TT for it you can add if you wish.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:44 AM

I had the Edge J/A in my Ford. I like it for the fact I had a power module and gauges all in one package--- least cost. Now I have Isspro's up on the dash and I like them much better. They are easier to read/ understand at a glance. Also I like the dash mount better than the pillar mount because my gauges are in the sight line.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:00 AM

QZILLA
Have been looking at Commander/Scout to replace my Recon.
Your website shows the Scout only for GenII trucks, and give little info on what it monitors, or how
So for now I'm confused on whick to get
Could you update the website info or email me current info?
Tnx
Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread wouldn't be bad place to post that or PM me too, plz....
Old 01-06-2009, 05:25 PM

Just my opinion....I have the ISSPro white face gauges with orange pointers in signature below on the a-pillar. Very reasonable prices, easy to read and extremely close to matching the factory gauges. I got them through Diesel Manor, came with everything needed to install including pictures and recommendations of where to steal power.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 PM

I also have the ISSPro gauges, located them on the a-pillar, got my kit from Diesel Manor as well. Easy to read analogs. I chose the analogs for two reasons. First they match the dash instrumentation, the only thing I see that is digital there is the speedo. Second, digital gauges CAN be affected by temperature, cold being worse than hot, but both ends CAN have issues.

My rail pressure does tap into the factory wiring BUT using a gauge that plugs into the computer, for the most part, tells you what the computer sees or may be programmed to see. I would rather have actuals from an independent source per se.

CD
Old 01-06-2009, 10:36 PM

Ok, the 05.5-07 stuff should be on the web tomorrow anyhow.

Basically the Scout is an OBD2 based gauge that we made more modular than the previous design (Commander).

Like pretty much everything these days we made this thing ala carte even though it is a pain! We have to compete with what others are doing.

So basic gauge gives you these parameters:

Load %
Coolant Temp
Boost
RPM
MPH
Corrected MPH (for different tire sizes)
IAT
TPS %
Run Time Since Startup
Distance with MIL turned on
Rail Pressure
Fuel Level %
# of Warmups since DTC's Cleared
Distance since DTC's Cleared
Barometer
Voltage
Ambient Air Temp
Time Run with MIL On
Time Since DTC's cleared
Current Gear
Converter Status
Calculated Transmission Slippage %

In addition to that it will:

Read and Erase DTC's (codes)
Do 0-60 performance tests
Do 1/4 mile performane tests complete with 60ft and 1/8 mile times

You can add:

EGT kit
FP Transducer Kit 0-100psi (can be used for anything like twins or air bag pressure)
TT kit. egt or time based (egt only if you have the egt probe installed)

To install on the 600 series or 05.5-07 5.9L trucks is super simple and can be made to work in 2 minutes. To actually install it will take 10-15 by the time you mount the pillar mount.

Basically we have a small brain that goes under the dash with a wiring hub that connects to it. This is how all the accessories easily attach later if you want them. From the brain you connect the monitor cable via 1 connection and the an OBD2 cable via 1 connection. Plug the OBD2 cable in and you are done.

Literally if you are not mounting it you can do it in seconds.

At a later date plugging in FP, TT or EGT is simple as it is all plug and play.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:51 PM

Sounds very nice!!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Ace
Banned

Originally Posted by CD in NM
...digital gauges CAN be affected by temperature, cold being worse than hot, but both ends CAN have issues....tells you what the computer sees or may be programmed to see. I would rather have actuals from an independent source per se.
That's why I'm torn. Can anyone say what the real issue is, if any, with that? I spent a small fortune and many hours installing a comlete, comprehensive gauge set in the the 1st Gen and love it. No issues, perfect behavior and performance. Can I really trust this electronic/computer gizmo? With all the time invested in wiring, mounting, etc. that ease of install factor sure is tempting.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qzilla
Ok, the 05.5-07 stuff should be on the web tomorrow anyhow.

Basically the Scout is an OBD2 based gauge that we made more modular than the previous design (Commander).

Like pretty much everything these days we made this thing ala carte even though it is a pain! We have to compete with what others are doing.

So basic gauge gives you these parameters:

Load %
Coolant Temp
Boost
RPM
MPH
Corrected MPH (for different tire sizes)
IAT
TPS %
Run Time Since Startup
Distance with MIL turned on
Rail Pressure
Fuel Level %
# of Warmups since DTC's Cleared
Distance since DTC's Cleared
Barometer
Voltage
Ambient Air Temp
Time Run with MIL On
Time Since DTC's cleared
Current Gear
Converter Status
Calculated Transmission Slippage %

In addition to that it will:

Read and Erase DTC's (codes)
Do 0-60 performance tests
Do 1/4 mile performane tests complete with 60ft and 1/8 mile times

You can add:

EGT kit
FP Transducer Kit 0-100psi (can be used for anything like twins or air bag pressure)
TT kit. egt or time based (egt only if you have the egt probe installed)

To install on the 600 series or 05.5-07 5.9L trucks is super simple and can be made to work in 2 minutes. To actually install it will take 10-15 by the time you mount the pillar mount.

Basically we have a small brain that goes under the dash with a wiring hub that connects to it. This is how all the accessories easily attach later if you want them. From the brain you connect the monitor cable via 1 connection and the an OBD2 cable via 1 connection. Plug the OBD2 cable in and you are done.

Literally if you are not mounting it you can do it in seconds.

At a later date plugging in FP, TT or EGT is simple as it is all plug and play.

Hope that helps.
Good deal..

What have you found about the inaccurate Load data on 04.5 and 05's?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 AM

What have you found about the inaccurate Load data on 04.5 and 05's?
All the load data is "calculated". That means it is not an obsoulte load % on the engine.

That's why I'm torn. Can anyone say what the real issue is, if any, with that?
It really depends on what you are doing and what you really need.

I have always said that "bus data" for a gauge is marginal but....there is more to it than that.

For EGT we are still using an external sending unit. Whether you like the digital read out or the analog read out, the guts are the same as they are both electronic gauges. The old style gauges that are driven directly by the thermocouple are terribly inaccurate and ahve problems because the hard ware they are driving can be so drastically different. Not many, if any at all, still use this method.

So for the single most important gauge on the truck, analog and digital are going to be pretty much the same. The digital will be faster responding because you do not have to move a sweeper motor for a needle on the digital gauge, you just have to update the display which can be updated as much as 10,000 times a second.

For all the rest of the data, there is no reason bus data is not good enough for 99% of the people out there. I mean how exact do you need coolant temp to be? Does it really have to be updated 100 times a second? If it is 1-2 degrees off is it really going to matter?

The ONLY issue I can see going forward with a gauge like I described above is if you are using a module with it. This will cause the Boost and Rail pressure readings to be off or lower than they really are.

With that said the majority of the good modules out now days have Rail Pressure and Boost built into them so they are not fooled.

If you are using a programmer then none of the readings will be fooled and you will get accurate data. A programmer, actually changes the code in the ECM to commander more rail pressure or to allow more boost so it does not try to fool it, it just programs the ECM to make it think that commanding more is fine.

If you have a plug in box that does not mess with rail pressure or boost then the readings will be fine as well.

As far as temperature affecting stuff, I don't buy that. The only things affected are the actual sensors and their ranges and those can/will be affected with either type of gauge.

The HUGE advantage to a digital setup is all of the data we can give you. There are 20-30 or more parameters you can watch and also keep a record of. You can set warnings as well. You can also do other useful things such as read and erase codes. The amount of data available is incredible and from a cost standpoint analogs cannot even come close.

You also get the advantage of mounting them in 1 single spot and still have tons and tons of gauges without them being all over the dash, steering column, kick panel and pillar.

We went a step further and gave the option to hook up a pressure transducer and a Turbo Timer for those that want it.

For the money, it cannot be beat and I am not sure that even with an unlimited budget you could match the shear amount of data with analogs.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qzilla
All the load data is "calculated". That means it is not an obsoulte load % on the engine.
Correct.. more like instant load vs total load (instant is always higher).. But the 04.5 and 05 trucks have a programing issue at low load and low rpm's where they don't have accurate data to the OBDII... Like idle may be a load of 3, increase to 1500 and it shows 0... (which really only affects MPG data).. It appears that at higher load or above 1500rpms the data is correct, or at least more accurate..

I was just wondering if you had narrowed the inaccurate parameters more than I have found.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 AM

Sounds promising! My biggest hold up on analog is real estate. I don't want ten gauges, I want what I need on the a-pillar and thats VERY difficult when you need 5 gauges on an auto truck...

Shawn
Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about trans temp? Any way to monitor that? Do you need to monitor that?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Ace
Banned

If you are towing with an auto, I would say yes.

Quick Reply: 2007 Gauge Dilemma