3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2007 Gauge Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 Gauge Dilemma

I've been on the site here for about three years now, mostly in the 1st Gen forum because she's my favorite Cummins, toy, etc. But the wife's 2007 2500 Big Horn w/48RE is coming off warranty soon, so I'll be starting to consider doing a few mods with it. Naturally I wanted to start with some gauges. But I see now there's two fundamentally different routes these days, being the tradtional single dial types mounted in pods, pillar, etc. and then we have the electronic modules, Edge, whatever. What's your take on this subject from a comparison standpoint? It seems like the new electronic module gizmo is the way to go, just wondering what anyone who's used either or both might offer in way of comparison / relative merit?

I haven't seen where trans temp is available in one of the box type things and that is one of my primary concerns for towing. My initial concern was where do the all-in-one modules get their info? The ECU? Not sure that is the best way to monitor something like EGT, but in these new trucks everything is electronically controlled / integrated, so what the hey...

Any and all input/opinions appreciated.

BTW, wondering if the admins might ever considering upping the sig space, so I can start putting both trucks in there?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It really depends on what you like. I like both, but the reason I went and will go digital again is space. I don't mind 3 gauges up a pillar, but on these newer trucks you need so many gauges you can't fit them on the pillar. Instead they're on the pillar, over the steering wheel, on the dash, hanging off the knee panel below the steering wheel. Realistically we're talking at a minimum egt, boost, trans, and fuel pressure. If you're modding, let's toss in a rail pressure gauge. Oh, you have air bags? Air pressure gauge....

Some values for the digital ones are taken from the engine, some are sensors they come with. For instance, the digital gauges will use the engines MAP sensor for it's boost readings, but you have to install a pyrometer so that you can have your EGT's.

Another nice thing is that the Quadzilla Commander (scout now?), and Edge Attitude can control chips through them. Unless you're going with a smarty, that's a nice feature!

Shawn
Old 01-01-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I prefer analog, easier and faster to read, and more quantifiable. (I have a SG that shows me some data in digital all the time, just harder to read).

Since its your wife's rig I would put the OEM SRT-10 A-pillar with grab handle and a single gauge it. Put EGT here...

Then over the rear view mirror I would put Boost, Trans, and Fuel Psi..

As far as programmers I would recommend a Smarty Jr on SW1 or SW2, and with the auto I wouldn't tow over SW1 unless you do a VB TC upgrade.

Pricol makes the best looking gauges.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'v been going over the same thing with my '07.

Autometer: Tough to get a matching set for the three basic gauges. Price on these are pretty high. A good EGT gauge will cost about $150! Each has their own sensor that needs to be installed. Lots of wiring, will take a few hours to install the three basic gauges. But, AM gauges are well known for accuracy and reliability.

Quadzilla: Can provide a lot of information. It does come with a bunch of it's own sensors that you have to install. And some parameters require you to tap into the factory harness and use factory sensors. You can use it to control add on tuners from Quadzilla and others.

Edge Attitude: A tuner box and gauge package all in one. Some wiring required, but it doesn't look like you need to install additional sensors. It seems to get most of it's data from the OBDII port. Has a lot of neat features. It's integrated with the power module, so you do all the installation at once. Reasonably priced, too. If I was looking for more power, I'd get this.

Bully Dog: The Performance management tool is a lot like the Edge, power upgrade plus gauges from the OBDII port. But there's only 3 power settings. And it costs about 50% more than the Edge. I'm looking at the Watchdog. It's inexpensive, and only for monitoring, no power upgrades.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by .boB
I'v been going over the same thing with my '07.

Autometer: Tough to get a matching set for the three basic gauges. Price on these are pretty high. A good EGT gauge will cost about $150! Each has their own sensor that needs to be installed. Lots of wiring, will take a few hours to install the three basic gauges. But, AM gauges are well known for accuracy and reliability.

Quadzilla: Can provide a lot of information. It does come with a bunch of it's own sensors that you have to install. And some parameters require you to tap into the factory harness and use factory sensors. You can use it to control add on tuners from Quadzilla and others.

Edge Attitude: A tuner box and gauge package all in one. Some wiring required, but it doesn't look like you need to install additional sensors. It seems to get most of it's data from the OBDII port. Has a lot of neat features. It's integrated with the power module, so you do all the installation at once. Reasonably priced, too. If I was looking for more power, I'd get this.

Bully Dog: The Performance management tool is a lot like the Edge, power upgrade plus gauges from the OBDII port. But there's only 3 power settings. And it costs about 50% more than the Edge. I'm looking at the Watchdog. It's inexpensive, and only for monitoring, no power upgrades.
You didn't mention Pricol, they are the best gauges. They look the closest to OE gauges and have crisp LED lighting. They are the most money, but well worth it. They are probably the most common in 3rd gens.

Anything will need an EGT probe installed to monitor EGT.

The Watchdog will be a decent monitor but wont have accurate load and MPG data on the 04.5 and 05's, and will be limited to approx 32psi of boost.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:44 PM

I like analog better than digitals, you can tell at a glance what's going on, you don't have to "read" them if you know what I mean.
I also think the Dipricols are the closest to the factory gauges, right down to the way the pointer extends into the center button (pics in my gallery).
Old 01-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Ace
Banned

Originally Posted by ah64id
...Since its your wife's rig...
That's what I've been telling her, and so far she's buyin' the story, but hardly ever drives it. Really just an excuse to have two.

I sorta suspected the thermocouple install would be required for any EGT reading. And the Edge attitude did catch my eye when I was surfing around looking at stuff the other day. Still undecided....
Old 01-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Ace
Banned

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
...you don't have to "read" them if you know what I mean..
I think that's why I'm torn. I'm used to reading analog gauges and they do seem to be easier to "read." Maybe that's something you just get used to. OTOH, the all-digital stuff seems more fitting with the all electronic/digital nature of the trucks these days.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:31 PM

I had the Edge J/A and analog guages. I like the analog better. They are easier to read and I think they look better too. The Pricols are the best looking in my opion
Old 01-01-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I didn't want the "Gauge in your face" feeling I had w/my '99,so I went with the SRT pillar and an Isspro combo gauge. I've got the manual,so egt&boost do it for me.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Danderson
I didn't want the "Gauge in your face" feeling I had w/my '99,so I went with the SRT pillar and an Isspro combo gauge.
The SRT pillar is supposed to fit a 2" gauge. But the Isspro combo is a 3" gauge. How does that fit?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:47 AM

I have a quadzilla commander with pillar mount I will give you a good deal on. I used it to monitor boost, egt, and coolant temp. It is also wired to monitor trans. temps and quadzilla says they have finally got a fuel pressure sensor that works. PM me if you are interested.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:57 AM

I'm only going to do mild mods to mine, and I have a manual trans, so I went with the SRT pillar and a Westach boost/egt combo.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by .boB
The SRT pillar is supposed to fit a 2" gauge. But the Isspro combo is a 3" gauge. How does that fit?
He might have meant the westach combo...
Old 01-02-2009, 06:57 PM

I have the edge insight works good reads everything I need plus some,boost tranny,rail press,egt plus about 40 other things data logs, check/clear engine light and it just plugs into the diag port no other wiring to do other than egt probe.

Quick Reply: 2007 Gauge Dilemma