3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2007 2500/3500 Model Info (6.7 will be 325/610)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been mistakingly using the 68RFE designation for the new tranny, it is in fact 68RE. I've corrected my other posts.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Berak
Luke, I'll wager $100 that says, your mistaken. The 68RE is a done deal. It's made by Dodge for Dodge trucks by employees working on it. Unless they are making it all up which I think would be almost zero probability. Go read the Allpar threads and in particular look at oh2o's posts. The information I posted is from him and looks legit. He is a well respected Chrysler insider and has posted a bunch of factually correct information in the past and present. I'm virtually certain this information is accurate and coincides with other information I've read elsewhere. I'd like to know why you think it is not accurate? What is your source?

For what I posted at the start of this thread to be incorrect, oh2o would have to have suddenly decided to blow all his credibility and make some information up. Like I said, virtually zero percent chance. The information I posted was not presented by him as a guess, it's directly from Chrysler and given the level detail of all 2007 model changes, certainly seems legitimate.

My source is my DaimlerChrysler zone sales manager who I deal with on a daily basis for all business regarding sales of new Chrysler products at our dealership. He is the one who told me the Aisin tranny would be used in all 07' Ram diesel's, chassis cab or pick-up. Think about it, why would they design two completly different auto trans to hook up to the same engine? That doesn't make good fiscal sense. As far as the guy over at Allpar, I don't know, I had a Chrysler employee in the showroom the other day telling me that Chrysler makes two diesel's now, the Cummins diesel, and the Hemi diesel! This was a pretty high up from one of the assembly plants. There are some pretty smart guys who work at some of these places, but a lot of them just put a bolt in a hole and they think that makes them an authority on everything. My zone man is the one who told me about this new 6.7/Aisin combo nearly 6 or 8 months ago. When I posted this info a lot of people told me such a thing didn't exist and never would, that the next engine would be a benz or detroit with somekind of benz or allison trans. Turned out the zone man was right about that too. I take his word over some guy on the internet, but I don't care, people can believe whatever they want. You don't see Ford or Chevy using a different trans in the regular pick-up's vs. cab&chassis, do you? Doesn't make since.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:55 AM

oh20 isn't a factory worker, but the existence of the 68RE has been reported by several who do work on or around them. Maybe the original plan called for the Aisin unit until the 68RE was ready, and maybe the 68RE was finished ahead of time, who knows. Will they maintain the use of both? I don't know but I bet if they do go to only one, the 68RE will be it. I will believe that oh2o's information is correct, as backed up by his track record.

No one who did any research believed that the Cummins was going to be replaced anytime soon so I certainly wouldn't have been in that group of "a lot of people".

And Dodge has rarely done anything like Ford or GM as far as that goes.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:57 AM

Luke do you have any pricing info on the chassis cabs?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick Campbell
Luke do you have any pricing info on the chassis cabs?
Not yet at this time. I suspect it will be later in the summer before I have pricing info. Most of the time I am able to order trucks even before the pricing info is out, which we generally do so we can have units in stock as soon as possible.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Berak
oh20 isn't a factory worker, but the existence of the 68RE has been reported by several who do work on or around them. Maybe the original plan called for the Aisin unit until the 68RE was ready, and maybe the 68RE was finished ahead of time, who knows. Will they maintain the use of both? I don't know but I bet if they do go to only one, the 68RE will be it. I will believe that oh2o's information is correct, as backed up by his track record.

No one who did any research believed that the Cummins was going to be replaced anytime soon so I certainly wouldn't have been in that group of "a lot of people".

And Dodge has rarely done anything like Ford or GM as far as that goes.
I think that a lot of people have simply made a mistake in calling the new Aisin AS68RC a 68re (sounds simaller) since that is the format on the current trans(48re) so some people automatically assume that there are two different transmission's.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Banned

have your zone man call me Luke ,I can assure you he is incorrect.it would not be the first one to be so either. I am not in the plant that is to build the units (thats ITP 1), I am in the old plant that build the 48re(KTP) that will go off line the same time the 68rfe goes online. no I did not get my info from some internet chat room. one thing about being in this area my whole life. I know most of the workers in the plant/plants , engineers and all. I can tell you why dc is giving us the 68 is because they cannot afford to have these plants on strike while they are making profits, and I can tell you we would strike over the issue. BUY AMERICAN ,keep americans working. Luke pm me for my phone number if you would like to chat, Barry
Old 04-19-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by BRayls
have your zone man call me Luke ,I can assure you he is incorrect.it would not be the first one to be so either. I am not in the plant that is to build the units (thats ITP 1), I am in the old plant that build the 48re(KTP) that will go off line the same time the 68rfe goes online. no I did not get my info from some internet chat room. one thing about being in the this area my whole life. I know most of the workers in the plant/plants , engineers and all. I can tell you why dc is giving us the 68 is because they cannot afford to have these plant on strike while they are making profits, and I can tell you we would strike over the issue. BUY AMERICAN ,keep americans working Luke pm me for my phone number if you would like to chat, Barry
Your right, it wouldn't be the first time a zone man was wrong, but it also wouldn't be the first time somebody on the internet was wrong. Are we not sure that maybe this Aisin AS68RC isn't going to be built in a Dodge plant and maybe that is what some of these guys are confused about?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Banned

nope the 68 was designed by dodge for dodge. to be built in dc's ITP 1 plant. they will not be online soon enough for the chassis cabs. they go online in oct. I am told that the build starts with 200 units daily ramping up fast from there to jan 1 and the line should be building all they need. I know we worried because with the 48 dropping we would have many guy/gals on the streets, which was not to be the case we have new product to build. just up the highway a few more miles to the newer plant. still one newer plant ,thats ITP 2 plant that builds the rear drive hemi powered magnums and 300's trannys which is german engineered.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Thanks for posting BRayls, you were one of the posters I was referring to regarding confirmation from people working on or around the new tranny. The information that people have posted is just too specific to be anything other than the truth or an outright lie in an attempt to fool everyone, which for something like a HD truck transmission, seems unlikely.

I wonder if they will drop the Aisin altogether once the 68RE goes online?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:18 PM

I will second the comment about the 68RE. There was an extensive article not on the internet, but in the Kokomo Indiana newspaper about the two new "Chrysler" designed transmissions slated to be built at the Kokomo transmission plants. The 68RE is for the 2500 and 3500 P/U trucks, and the 62TE is for front drive applications. Both are six speed units. RE stands for rear wheel drive electronic. TE stands for transverse electronic. The Aisin unit is for chassis cabs only.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Banned

I know for sure the 62 is on track . almost makes me wish I had tranfered up to the ITP 1 plan years ago. however I love my job, in the largest heattreating operation in the states . Berak I am not sure if that is the plans or not. I think this is why there is so much chat about the 4500,5500 rams.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
610? I dont think so, Info from Cummins says 750ft/lbs.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:40 AM

Cummins does not release information about the Dodge application, especially before Dodge does. The 750 ft/lbs from Cummins is for the 6.7 in other applications, not Dodge (notice the increases they claim over the current model 5.9, doesn't come close to what Dodge is offering now). The 610 ft / lbs for Dodge is certain. All the information I posted I bet is 100% accurate as of this date. They may change a few minor details before launch, but probably nothing major.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:59 AM

Any news on the gear ratios for the 68RE?

Ryan

Quick Reply: 2007 2500/3500 Model Info (6.7 will be 325/610)