3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2005 Ram 3500 Small Seats!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by natstayl
I couldn't resist this because it sounds like a no-brainer to me..Why would anyone put up with an uncomfortable seat when it’s so easy for a knowledgeable upholsterer to fix? I still have my ‘85 and it came with a vinyl bench that was hard to take even getting in and out of. So I removed the seat and delivered it to him. Four days later I reinstalled it and still love it. Even if it means doing without the truck for a week, it will pay for itself the first day, believe me.
Nat

I think (DON'T QUOTE ME) but everyone is trying to say that the seats are uncomfortable and it shouldn't be up to them to pay to send them to an upholstery shop and have them re-designed.
An '85 is a big difference from an '03-'05 when it comes to warranty.
I think the feelers are out just to see how many owners here feel the same way about the GEN III seats with a common complaint.

Even if the seat mods are as cheap as $30, that's $30 that you shouldn't be paying on top the original $50,000+/- you already paid.

Personally I love my '93 seats. They fit me. I'm 5'9" @ 210*
Buts thats comparing '93 to '03-'05.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:22 AM

Yes Rammer64, you got it right. And the other thing is the size of the seat. My 04 seats are smaller than the seats in my wife's Chevy Trailblazer. Yes we can add padding and try to make them more comfy, but how do you make them bigger

Look, anyone who buys a vehicle sits in it, I don't know anyone who stands, squats or does anything but sit on their rear. That being the case, some serious effort should go into making the seats as good as possible, size, comfy, padding and all. It's really more important than any other item inside the truck such as a radio. Ok, I'll move my buns off this subject.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 PM

After I had my truck for 1000 miles I found that the seats were really bad (for me). the dealer first sent me to an upholstery shop where the drivers seat was removed and taken apart. The upholsterer and I tried several different things. If we added padding to the seat, this caused me to sit higher on the back which was uncomfortable. The head rest, even at the highest position, was at my shoulders and was even more uncomfortable than the bad seat. We hit a compromise of a little padding and turned the head rest around and installed it backwards.

The seat COULD NOT be made comfortable and the dealer agreed tp replace the front seats. After market seats were not available, so he gave me the seats from a new '02 but I had to install them myself.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:46 PM

Papaduck - How was the install of the '02 seats in your '03? Any pics?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Rammer64
I think (DON'T QUOTE ME) but everyone is trying to say that the seats are uncomfortable and it shouldn't be up to them to pay to send them to an upholstery shop and have them re-designed.
I'd quote you but you told me not too. I was curious if anyone who was uncomfortable with their seats had taken them to a professional to see if they could improve them. and you're absolutely right, it shouldn't be necessary.
Nat
Old 10-05-2004, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by dgibbs
Papaduck - How was the install of the '02 seats in your '03? Any pics?
I used a 16" x 16" x 1/8" steel plate. The '02 seats are wider and longer than the '03. I drilled ant tapped 4 holes for bolts to be the studs to mount to the '03 pedistal and 4 holes to bolt the plate to the seat.

I made an adapter to mount the switches on and attached it to the plate.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:19 PM

Sorry BeaverMike but I will say something positive about the seats. I have spent over 6000 hours of time in the seat of a Ram in the past 4 years. I think the seats are just as good in MY 2004 as they were in MY 2000. I wonder if there is more than one vendor for the seats??? I can see where someone with wider hips would not "fit" comfortably in these seats. If I were in your shoes, or pants, I would get these seats replaced with aftermarket or fixed by someone. Ford does not have much that I lust after, but the King Ranch seats are cool! There is a company in GA that will convert Dodges to this type of seat.

Bryan
Old 10-07-2004, 10:23 PM

I liked my 02 seats better as well . I think the old seat material was more durable and it was not a lint magnet like the new cloth seats.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:09 AM

I don't have a problem with the seats, I'm 6'1" & 190. I do wonder though, why Dodge doesn't offer any captains chairs in the Ram?

After I hit the Powerball Saturday I think I'll go buy a ferd King Ranch, put the seats in the Dodge & send the rest to the scrapyard
Old 10-08-2004, 01:05 PM

initially I thought the seats weren't as comfy as my Dakota had been.
however, I can sit in them for 12 hours and not get numb, get aches, etc - so they are passable.

"comfortable" is subjective and different for some. I'm 6' 1" 175 btw.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
40,000 plus on my butt in this truck and all is well.
I still might re package the foam when I have time.
310 pounds and I fit nice.

I need to eat.

Old 10-09-2004, 10:53 AM

Some of you guys are cheating and bringing an aftermarket cushion into the picture - Scotty!

For me, the problem is honestly that the front edge of the seat just isn't long enough. It cuts into the back of my legs. And unless I wanna drive in the "reclined" position, it gets pretty bad after a while.

Matt
Old 10-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by gsdog1
Some of you guys are cheating and bringing an aftermarket cushion into the picture - Scotty!

For me, the problem is honestly that the front edge of the seat just isn't long enough. It cuts into the back of my legs. And unless I wanna drive in the "reclined" position, it gets pretty bad after a while.

Matt
Uhhh...there ain't much of a cushion here.
And no permit for wide load either.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by Scotty
Uhhh...there ain't much of a cushion here.
And no permit for wide load either.
Yeah, I here them there permits are expensive! Not to mention insurance!

And to keep the spirit of the thread alive, these seats still stink....

Matt
Old 10-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by gsdog1
Yeah, I here them there permits are expensive! Not to mention insurance!

And to keep the spirit of the thread alive, these seats still stink....

Matt
Try wearing a Depends...less stink and more cushion. Problem solved.

And better driving times...less stopping.

Aren't I a great help?

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram 3500 Small Seats!!