3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2005 Door seal torn at 1400 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2005 Door seal torn at 1400 miles

Well I was a little surprized this weekend to find my drivers door seal torn at just 1400 milels, and I mean torn bad. I have a 2005 made in Dec/04, I have read all the posts about this problem (even before purchase) but "assumed" that new trucks would have the updated seals installed. Is this something they can fix, or will I be looking at this for years to come, has anyone had any success with the repair, I read the post about the door frames being bent out and will address that when I drop my truck off so it doesnt happen to me.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:12 PM

i've had 9 of them in 15k. the original design tears eventually, the new design doesn't seal properly. i have a newly installed old design seal on now and it's rubbing. no solution has been offered.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:09 PM

I had the TSB for the door molding done in December and I just had the drivers side seal redone because it was tearing again. I will continue to keep an eye on it until my warrenty runs out or until they come up with a fix for this problem. Went in Thursday to have the lower molding TSB done and they looked at me as if I had a %ick growing out of my head. "What TSB, we dont know about any TSB!" http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2005/23-005-05.htm Of course I had the TSB number and gave them the right explainations as to why it needed to be done. Of course they did not have the trim in stock so it's on order. It's supppose to keep all that road grime out of the lower door seal area.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:20 PM

Unhappy

On mine, SECOND set is gone again on both front doors. Time to try again.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:17 PM

we have our second set on the drivers side, the passenger side is perfect and i wonder why ? it is because they are two entirely different seals!!! go figure, i told the service writer to find the number for the passenger side and order one for the drivers side.weird...
Old 05-11-2005, 04:58 PM

Just got my drivers side done last week as mentioned. From the look of it, it seems to be different from the one they installed last time. This one seems not to catch the door edge. My passenger side is in good shape as well.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:03 AM

Oh yeah, less than 2K on my truck and seals are starting to wear a lot. Not torn through completely, but close. I'll be taking it to the dealer sometime soon...

I've noticed the 05 doesn't have the TSB listed for the door seals? Hmmmm
Old 05-12-2005, 05:03 PM

My '04 has almost 31K miles on it. Both doors seals are the original and show no wear whatsoever. A strange problem that is obviously only on some trucks. Wonder what the difference is?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:12 PM

I wonder if yours had the updated ones put on before the truck was delivered, a "smart dealer" would do this to make sure the customer was "completely" happy. Do you think you have more wind noise than you should, also can you post a pictureof the corner of your door. maybe we could see why yours didnt tear.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Chapter President

I know I'm jinxing myself but...'03 here, no tears, rips, or signs of it starting. 24k and still good to go on both sides. Bought it new in OCT 03. All I did was, when I first heard of this problem, was to rub some white lithium ball hitch grease on the seals. I only did it once and so far so good. But I bet they'll rip tomorrow .
Old 05-12-2005, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Reel Native
I wonder if yours had the updated ones put on before the truck was delivered, a "smart dealer" would do this to make sure the customer was "completely" happy. Do you think you have more wind noise than you should, also can you post a pictureof the corner of your door. maybe we could see why yours didnt tear.
I know mine were not changed prior to delivery. It was an ordered truck & I was tracking it's movements thru the old Insight DB. I knew when it was gonna be delivered before the dealer. I was at the dealership when the transporter rolled in. Watched 'em unload it, inspected it with the SM. Picked it up the next day. No time to swap 'em out. Just lucky, I guess.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:52 AM

I guess after they replace mine I will just do what the nascar guys do and go through the window!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:49 AM

I think it might have something to do with the door adjustment, i had new seals installed a few weeks ago, origionals wern't too bad but i was running out of warranty, had them adjust the drivers door a little tighter because of wind noise when on the highway, the wind noise has decreased quite a bit but the seal has already got a whole worn in it worse than the origional , the new seal was the same design as the old one.

rob
Old 05-13-2005, 04:02 PM

Mine has been good since new, 1 1/2 years. On a friends truck his seals are torn badly. His seems to be made from a softer thinner material. I do use a protectant often.

Pete
Old 05-13-2005, 04:14 PM

man, guess you cant win with these things. Mine went after 3000 miles or so. They dont tear anymore but I get wind noise on the highway now.

Quick Reply: 2005 Door seal torn at 1400 miles