3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2005 3500 DRW Frame questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 3500 DRW Frame questions

I've been reading over on the 'other' site that the 2005 DRW 3500 are NOT recommended to carry a slide in camper, with paperwork in the glovebox that states this.

Is this true?? Do any of you guys have paperwork in your truck to support this?

WHY would DCX do this?? Especially with Ford increasing their GVWR ratings for '05?

I really need a dually to haul around my slide in, and wanted to go with an '05 Dodge DRW, but now it's looking like THAT won't happen.!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:53 PM
J&L

roadranger
check out RV.net web and go to truck camper forums for info from Dodge truck users on the mass hysteria the disclaimer is creating. ..........JIM
Old 04-07-2005, 11:03 AM

J&L, I'm over there a lot, and have seen no reference to Dodge not recommending slide-ins on the Duallys- can you point me to a thread?

I HAVE been reading about it on the TDR, and several there have stated they have the camper loading paper in their glovebox that states slide ins not recommended (on a dually!). They also are pointing out how aftermarket utility truckbed installers can't put that type of body on a Dodge dually, either. Are you kidding me!??

Seems pretty strange that with this new Hydro-formed frame, Dodge does NOT want -utility beds- dump bodies- and slide in campers on their trucks. They don't want anything heavy sitting IN the truck for fear of cracking that thin-skinned Hydroformed frame, which supposedly has happened to a few trucks, hence the ban.

If this IS true, DCX has shot themselves in the foot big time.
Ford, already the fleet truck leader, has jumped lightyears ahead of Dodge in the GVWR department. What good is a Cummins, in a truck that can't WORK?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:12 AM

Maybe they dont want you to put a camper in a Dually rear wheel Dodge because it might look, well, UGLY
Old 04-07-2005, 12:03 PM

Those 3rd gens don't need a camper on them to make them look ugly, they come from the factory that way!

Looks like between the weak hydroformed frames, the vibration issues with the new axles, the common rail injector problems, plastic intercoolers, and now the 6 speed debacle, DCX has completely screwed up a once tough truck.

Guess I'll keep my '01.5 2500 (with factory wheel liners, underhood mat, and rear cup holders) loaded to 3500 weights and just change the occasional lift pump when the gauge indicates.
At least it can DO the job that the new grocery getters can't!

Thanks for all your help....
Old 04-07-2005, 05:54 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally posted by roadranger
Those 3rd gens don't need a camper on them to make them look ugly, they come from the factory that way!

Looks like between the weak hydroformed frames, the vibration issues with the new axles, the common rail injector problems, plastic intercoolers, and now the 6 speed debacle, DCX has completely screwed up a once tough truck.

Guess I'll keep my '01.5 2500 (with factory wheel liners, underhood mat, and rear cup holders) loaded to 3500 weights and just change the occasional lift pump when the gauge indicates.
At least it can DO the job that the new grocery getters can't!

Thanks for all your help....
other then having my serpentine belt replaced i haven't had any trouble out of mine. i'm happy with my grocery getter that can out tow a 01.5 stock.

just out of courisity... why would you be considering one if you thought that they were so ugly? i'm afraid i will have to agree with Ripper. slide in campers do make the truck.... less pretty shall we say?

guess i will keep my 05 3500 (with factory navigation, sirius radio, underhood mat, rear cup holders, cummins 610, straight piped, loaded with all of the weight i can put on her)

i love my grocery getter!

britt

p.s. don't take this post personally. i'm just kidding around with you.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:32 PM

My truck came with a camper loading sheet in the glove compartment that stated it was capable of xxxxlbs (dont remeber exactly but something like 3700lbs) and also had a picture of where the center of gravity needed to be located. Don't see why a 2005 would be any different. My camper is a 10ft with dry bath and comes in at about 3200lbs dry. Haven't had any problems yet. If you need PM me and I'll try to email you a copy of the camper loading info sheet that was in the glove compartment.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by t-7 firefighter
other then having my serpentine belt replaced i haven't had any trouble out of mine. i'm happy with my grocery getter that can out tow a 01.5 stock.

Ahh, there's the rub- you can TOW but you can't HAUL it seems...

just out of courisity... why would you be considering one if you thought that they were so ugly? i'm afraid i will have to agree with Ripper. slide in campers do make the truck.... less pretty shall we say?

Simple- need a Dually, want a Cummins.
It's the pig-snout grille that takes some getting used to! (just kidding!)

guess i will keep my 05 3500 (with factory navigation, sirius radio, underhood mat, rear cup holders, cummins 610, straight piped, loaded with all of the weight i can put on her)

i love my grocery getter!

britt

p.s. don't take this post personally. i'm just kidding around with you.

DITTO!

I'm still debating if it's going to be worth it to put my slide in on an '05 3500 and take the chance of cracking the frame and having DCX NOT honor the warranty.
There's a lot of 3rd gen mounting slide-ins out there on the roads...
Old 04-08-2005, 01:30 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally posted by roadranger
I'm still debating if it's going to be worth it to put my slide in on an '05 3500 and take the chance of cracking the frame and having DCX NOT honor the warranty.
There's a lot of 3rd gen mounting slide-ins out there on the roads...
I will try to find the info that was included with my owner’s manual that had to do with the slide in campers. Like CRXsi said.. I also have an insert that had the load rating and mounting positions for the slide in camper in my owners manual packet. When I find it I will be happy to scan it and see what you think. Seemed like it was a pretty good amount of weight. I can't imagine any kind of frame issues.

Oh... one other thing you might try checking out. I know RobG has a slide in camper on his truck. He might be able to help you out. I'm sure he will know more about it than I do.

Britt

Old 04-12-2005, 10:25 PM

My truck came with the camper certification ticket stating I can carry 3200? lbs.

I'm looking to upgrade in two years, I was hoping Dodge could carry an extra 1000 lbs by then.....
Old 04-12-2005, 10:50 PM

Mine came with the do not put a camper on sheet. Pete
Old 04-13-2005, 07:37 AM
Banned

Originally posted by t-7 firefighter
i'm happy with my grocery getter that can out tow a 01.5 stock.

And even modified 01.5's unless they run both aftermarket injectors and a box.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:58 PM

I was speaking with my favorite salesman who I have bought both Dodges and one 6.0 (03) F350 from, he was telling me that if you buy a new Ford without the camper package (which includes the sheet in glovebox) that Ford will void your warrenty if you install a slidein camper. I was wondering if this is the same for the new Dodge and this is where the ******** is coming from. I was wondering if anyone has been able to get something in writing on a new dually that was actually ordered with a camper package or did they stop offering this option???
Old 04-14-2005, 03:09 AM

Just thought I'd chime in, I do stone work on the side ( the reason I bought my truck) and often carry close to 4000 lbs payload, with no problems. I have the 3500 single rear, it calls for around 2800 lbs limit from the factory. Sooo... I think the factory ratings are a bit modest. I haven't heard anything about the hydro formed frames being weak, if anything the opposite. These are trucks we're talking about here guys, not bling, bling escalades.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:35 AM

You all need to read the TDR threads.More about liablitys and removing bed and using cargo boxes etc.Lots of info on it.More of a cover your butt kinda thing.