3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2004 Suspension Groan/Pop

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Suspension Groan/Pop

Anybody else have issues with suspension groan/pop primarily when making sharp turns into deep dips such as driveways and some intersections. My warranty is almost expired and if this is something to be concerned about I would like to know. I'm not bothered hearing it every once in a while if it is not a problem.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:42 AM

HA HA, this used to worry me like crazy until i found out how simple it is . I had waited 4 hours for my dealer to look for it on one car I used to own. Its just the stearing stops rubbing. Normally they just bump up agains the stoper when you dead end the stearing, but if you do it while causing the front suspenstion to have to go up or down (like approachs/ditches as you mentions), whats happening is a rusty bolt is dragging accross a rusty stop which is welded to the a-arm and ya, it sounds terrible and sends the noise all over the front end . You may want to have a quick check there to make sure that's what it is, but I bet it is.

Nothing to worry about though. Its working as designed. If it bothers you you can try to get in the habbit of not dead ending the stearing (just back off a bit from the stop if you hit it). You can try greasing it up but that never seams to last long depending on where and how you drive. You could grease the stops up, drive it and if the noise doesn't stop you can have the dealer look for something else if your warranty is up and you are worried it's not the stops. Some times greasing it will not eliminate all grindy sounds, the whole setup was not designed for people to be running around like that all the time, its a bit crude.

Let me know if that was the problem.
Thanks.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by 2003Summit
HA HA, this used to worry me like crazy until i found out how simple it is . I had waited 4 hours for my dealer to look for it on one car I used to own. Its just the stearing stops rubbing. Normally they just bump up agains the stoper when you dead end the stearing, but if you do it while causing the front suspenstion to have to go up or down (like approachs/ditches as you mentions), whats happening is a rusty bolt is dragging accross a rusty stop which is welded to the a-arm and ya, it sounds terrible and sends the noise all over the front end . You may want to have a quick check there to make sure that's what it is, but I bet it is.

Nothing to worry about though. Its working as designed. If it bothers you you can try to get in the habbit of not dead ending the stearing (just back off a bit from the stop if you hit it). You can try greasing it up but that never seams to last long depending on where and how you drive. You could grease the stops up, drive it and if the noise doesn't stop you can have the dealer look for something else if your warranty is up and you are worried it's not the stops. Some times greasing it will not eliminate all grindy sounds, the whole setup was not designed for people to be running around like that all the time, its a bit crude.

Let me know if that was the problem.
Thanks.
I'm not sure that I had the steering against the stop, but I'm going to the one place I almost always hear the noise and pay careful attention to see if this is what's happening. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know what I find.