3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2004 Dually -- Pros / Cons

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haven't heard from you in a while. hope everything is going well.
Everything is cool, knock wood. Had the truck serviced two weeks ago, and going in for PA state inspection tomorrow. I keep checkin' that belt, though............

Scott
Old 02-24-2005, 09:52 PM

My dually is mostly a daily driver. The fenders can make it hard to grab stuff out of the box. I fixed that problem, with a flatbed. No replacing fenders, either.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:02 PM

Another pro towards the dually is that I think they hold there value better than a single rear wheel. Go look at the prices for used duallys. One other thing is they are alot more stable when pulling and hauling.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:51 PM

I own a dually and a srw.

You already know the positives of owning a dually.....weight capacity and looks are two that come to mind.

The negatives are some additional costs (think 6 tires to buy instead of two) and they are more difficult to fit into tight spaces.

If you don't "need" one due to towing requirements, it may not be very practical.

Having said that, I ride a '04 YZF-R1, so I can't preach about being practical.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:04 PM

I bought a duallie last August becaue I like to haul my 8' Lance and I upgraded to a 14K bp trailer.....just felt safer with 4 tires back there....still don't like it as well as my 01 2500, those fenders are always in the way, especially for the mirrors. They are also a pita when trying to get something out of the bed. I'd keep my 01 if I could afford too....
Old 02-27-2005, 09:34 AM

Dually's are great, kinda there if you need it. Like owning .45 cal vs a 9mm. May not need it, but it's there if you do.

Tires SUCK. I spent a grand last time, but I'm also going on 80k miles on this set.

Other than that...Stability is better, looks are up to the individual - It stands out, but I personally prefer the fleetside from the standpoint of getting in and out of the bed. Life just dictates that I have 6 tires
Old 02-28-2005, 09:32 AM

I've had 2 SRW and 2 DRW trucks now. My latest is the DRW. I use it for pulling a fifth wheel and found more stability than I did with the same trailer on my 2 SRW (Ram 2500 Cummins trucks). I belong to an RV forum where the Chevy guys swear their 2500HDs can pull anything and often overload their vehicles. Let them think that. If you want a work truck buy the DRW. If you want a DRW buy it. I use mine as a daily friver and it is a little more of an issue in many parking lots. Just park out a little further and do the walk. It's good for you!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:51 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally posted by Chester
I've had 2 SRW and 2 DRW trucks now. My latest is the DRW. I use it for pulling a fifth wheel and found more stability than I did with the same trailer on my 2 SRW (Ram 2500 Cummins trucks). I belong to an RV forum where the Chevy guys swear their 2500HDs can pull anything and often overload their vehicles. Let them think that. If you want a work truck buy the DRW. If you want a DRW buy it. I use mine as a daily friver and it is a little more of an issue in many parking lots. Just park out a little further and do the walk. It's good for you!
i agree with you 100%. it is much more stable pulling our travel trailer.

last year i worked on my off days at a landscape company running a front end loader. we sold rock by the ton wired up on top of pallets. a couple of guys pulled up with their chevy 2500HD and wanted 3 pallets of rock loaded in the back of their truck. i would always try to explain what their truck could/should hold safely but in the end it was always the customers option. i tried to explain that he was going to have over 6000lbs in the back of his truck. he got all offended and said "it will hold it just fine" so i started loading the truck. first pallet set the truck down pretty good. second pallet set it on the ground. at this time the guy was yelling at me to stop. don't put the third pallet on the truck. "i though you said it could hold it" i said. i pointed to my truck and told him i would be happy to bring the third or forth pallet to his house for a price. he huffed up and said i'll be back for the other rock. needless to say, he pulled out with very little suspension travel.
now i'm not saying that it would have been good on a dually (and i would have never done it to mine) but it would have been better than what he had.

like TX Gooseneck said, it is better to have too much then not enough.

yeah parking is a little tougher but i always park a long way away anyway. i don't want door dings and the walking does me good.

oh yeah... i think i mentioned earlier... DUALLYS LOOK BETTER! just my opinion though.

britt