3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2004 Dually -- Pros / Cons

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Dually -- Pros / Cons

We'll I'm sure this has been hashed out before...but,

In the 3rd gen line, I really like the looks of the Dually compared to the 2500s and SRWs

I even have my wife's blessing to get one...

Just wondering what are the Pros and Cons of owning a Dually ?

Given I've never owned one and won't be using it for towing heavy....

Someone please convince me to buy one anyway...
Old 02-22-2005, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you aren't towing heavy, or planning on an in-bed camper, get a SRW. You'll be able to get through drive thru's, parking lots, and tight spots a lot easier. The only reason I'd ever recommend a dually is for heavy towing/fifth wheel trailers.

With that said - in my mind purchases aren't ALWAYS about what you NEED. Sometimes it's about what you WANT deep down. A lot of us don't truly NEED a Cummins, but we love them and wouldn't own a gasser. If you can afford it, get exactly what your gut says you'll be happiest sitting in IMO!
Old 02-22-2005, 04:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I coulden't agree more 1st get what you want, I tow an equipment trailer and need the 3500 I also find the 8' box more usefull for my needs. I could proberly get by with a SRW, but in the 8' box IMO the dually is visually more appealling and does work a little better for my needs. I would not buy a truck simply for where I can fit it (drive thru) maybe my garage,but thats not an issue for me I have a large garage, It's more important that you get what you like and want. Parking is a issue so consider that, I never try to park close anyway as I don't want dings and such.There is nothing wrong with buying a DRW truck even if your not going to need its capacities.Guys buy them and lower them , lift them all of witch take away from that type of trucks affectiveness,nobody says anything about that. Buy one for the simple reason that it looks totally BAD A** rolling down the road,Thats good enough for me Who cares what people think!!! Just my .02
Old 02-22-2005, 06:00 PM

Both Bumpytruck and Lightman make very good points. I have to admit I don't really need a dually, just like them. I don't tow anything over 11k (boat and GN car trailer), but I have always heard that DRW's were more stable when towing so I thought I would give them a try. Yeah sure it's a little tougher manipulating the loacal Wal-Mart parking lot, or the occasional drive through, but after you get used to it it's not really a big deal. Probably the biggest con is tires. You think "it's just two more tires", true, but at 230 a piece times two is an extra 460. Plus if you want to go with wider tires spacers are needed and that's another 350 bucks. Putting 285/70's on my rig cost me about 2 grand. This was the ONLY crappy thing I have encountered thus far. Otherwise I think they are the best looking, most capable trucks ever made. Best of luck.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:11 PM

Get the dually !!!! My 03' I bought was a 2500 quad cab 4x4 shortbed. The year and a half I had that truck I loved it but I always regretted not going ahead and buying the dually which is really what I wanted in the first place. I now have a 04.5 4x4 quad cab dually and I love it except for the fuel mileage, it pretty well sucks right now, but I am much happier now owning what I wanted to get in the first place. If you dont get what you want, everytime you are driving the truck you will be wishing you had gone ahead and purchased the truck you trully wanted. And for that much money the dually is not that much more in price anyway. Besides that, I hated the shortbed, I could not get anything in it, the dually has the 8' bed and is much nicer. One problem is I have to handwash the dually because I cannot fit it in any of the drive thru car washes.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:04 AM

I got the dually just because I like the way they look.
I don't find the extra width that big of a deal.
I always park at the back of the parking lots anyways and
I have to park at a few fast food places rather than use
the drive thru but to me it's worth it for the looks.

Go for it and get the dually, you won't be sorry!

The only real con is you have to buy 2 extra tires when you
upgrade. (it's only money right)
Old 02-23-2005, 11:13 AM

Duallies suck. I'm on my third and I swear it will be my LAST. I'm tired of the parking issues, the horrible ride, and the $1100 fenders if you damage 'em. My next truck will be a 2500 longbed (insurance is cheaper on 2500s too).

Sure they look cool, but the inconveniences far outweigh the "cool" factor.

Rob
Old 02-23-2005, 07:27 PM

Get the dually. The coolness factor alone makes it worth parking in the north forty at malls, grocery stores etc. Whenever you do (as I do fairly often) finally put 3 or 4 thousand pounds in it and/or haul a large, heavy trailer, boat, etc. (as I do not nearly often enough) you won't be able to control the size of your grin.
Kurt
Old 02-23-2005, 07:33 PM
db

Get the dually AND keep your short bed. That way you have the best of both worlds.

db
Old 02-24-2005, 10:51 AM

Ok...guys...the scale is tipping over to the DRW side...

I think one or two more pushes and I'll be sold...

Thanks for all the comments....
Old 02-24-2005, 11:17 AM

OK, just got my first dually because I'm upgrading to a 5'ver and wanted the extra stability. Just think, if you ever have a blow out in the rear, you still have another tire to keep you somewhat stable. Also, be very careful going through drive thru's, etc......dually's have that big *** back there and it's easy to forget about the clearance issue.......I have seen quite a few dually's with scraped up fenders....probably from not negotiating those tight spaces you are faced with driving through at times. I don't think you will be disappointed.....IMHO, I think they are great looking trucks and I cannot tell the difference in the ride between a SRW and a DRW.

Only gripe I have is I find it a pain to reach back and air up the inside tires at times....I'm a rookie and still have to figure out a better way to do this.....not all stations have the extended air nozzle to reach back there.....I'm constantly adjusting my air pressure too because of towing and then going back to an empty load......I may have to get one of those gadgets that link up both tires in order to get precise air pressure in both wheels.

Lastly, I never thought of owning a dually until I decided to upgrade from a TT to a 5'ver......I'm extremely happy that I did.....I love it! I probably won't love it when the tires wear out and I have to foot the bill for 6 tires vice 4 though What the hell though, with fuel prices at $2.50 a gallon, tires seem cheap.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:01 PM

Pro hauls more
Con cost more
Old 02-24-2005, 03:54 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

here is the biggest one of all.

DUALLYS LOOK BETTER!!!!!!!!!

even if you aren't planing on using them to their full potential they still look better than a SRW. i don't care what anyone else says... you will be noticed driving down the road in one of these bad boys!!! i get looks every time i go out in my truck. and yeah... it feels good!!!

not just my opinion!!!

britt

Old 02-24-2005, 05:22 PM

Britt, that is one GORGEOUS truck. Same as mine, but red. (And CLEAN, too - you don't even WANT to know how much filth is on mine - another snowstorm here today).

Do I need a dually?? No. Do I even NEED a truck?? No.

This dually is GREAT! Most fun I've ever had with a vehicle!
Old 02-24-2005, 05:28 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally posted by wexman
Britt, that is one GORGEOUS truck. Same as mine, but red. (And CLEAN, too - you don't even WANT to know how much filth is on mine - another snowstorm here today).

Do I need a dually?? No. Do I even NEED a truck?? No.

This dually is GREAT! Most fun I've ever had with a vehicle!
thanks wexman,

haven't heard from you in a while. hope everything is going well. i'm with you on the dually. do i "NEED" one? nope. but i sure do like it. it is honestly the most fun that i have had with a vehicle since i have been driving (and i have had a BUNCH of vehicles).

oh and to be honest... i really wanted white this time but i would have had to paint my camper shell. so i had to settle for red.

take care!

britt

Quick Reply: 2004 Dually -- Pros / Cons