3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2004 CTD with a salvage title?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CTD with a salvage title?

i'm looking at an '04 with a salvage title, 55k, 4x4, evidently has a navigation system and uconnect, and aftermarket tires. (would the nav system and uconnect make it SLT?)
the seller told me a tree fell on it and he had to replace 2 doors, the box side and hood.

what's a reasonable price for it? nada says retail is 27k, trade in is 23k, but my bank (USAA) says trade in is 19k

thanks all
Old 06-10-2007, 09:35 PM

sorry, repair work has been completed after the damage
Old 06-10-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It may be a good deal (not sure of the price) but with a salvage title it will seriously effect the truck's value if that is important to you. I would see if owner will allow you to take toa body shop and have it inspected for unseen frame damage, poorly installed/repaired bocy panels and to have them advise you of what has been repaired/replaced and to what extent it has been repaired. After that you may noit want it or you may be able to live with it. It's you decision but get the facts from an independ body first.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:30 PM

I didn't give the price the guys asking 'cause i was hoping some of you guys who really know these vehicles could give your unbiased opinion of what the truck's worth.

but anyway, he's askin 19k. I feel it's a bit high for a salvage/rebuilt vehicle but overall it is a good price for a CTD

jackson, MI eh? cool deal man! i lived there for a year or two when i was a kid. My dad was an engineer at the nuke plant
Old 06-11-2007, 06:26 AM

Don't buy a salvage title vehicle unless you plan on keeping it forever. There is no warranty from the factory on anything including recall. This is because in the factory's eyes it has been parted out and not rebuilt. No dealer will ever take it on trade either. No clean title - no buy is my motto.

This is unless I could buy it and part it out for a profit.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:33 AM

I never buy anything with a salvage title - and I buy and sell a lot of vehicles.

Parts truck only.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:58 AM

"just cruisin", that makes decent sense, thanks.

2003ram - if you don't mind my asking, why do you avoid salvage vehicles?

I'm thinking if i can get a 27k truck for 19k-ish it's something to consider. The more research I do on uconnect and the nav system the more interested i am to try it out. should be able to test drive one in a few weeks when I get home!!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:06 PM

When considering the purchase of a salvage title vehicle, I will usually value them at 60% of a clear title vehicle. So if the retail value is 27k, I wouldn't pay more than 16k. Like others have said, plan on keeping it forever becuase it will be hard to get your money out of it. Also, like anything that has been taken apart, rebuilt etc --- plan on problems down the road. I'd stay away from salvage vehicles period.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:02 PM

Everything that's already been said. Also, there may be insurance issues. Check with your carrier.

There could be more wrong with it than meets the eye. Two doors, a hood, and a box side = an insurance total loss? Maybe, maybe not.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:16 PM

i cant believe your bank would give you that much money for a salvage title vehicle to be honest.........but I would definately not pay $19K for something that has basically been totalled and then fixed.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:40 PM

Also make sure your insurance company will insure it. Mine won't.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12K... Wouldn't pay a dime more and that's pushing it.

If fixed properly it would make a good work then throw away truck.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by 2003Ram
Everything that's already been said. Also, there may be insurance issues. Check with your carrier.

There could be more wrong with it than meets the eye. Two doors, a hood, and a box side = an insurance total loss? Maybe, maybe not.
Doesn't the fact that it has a salvage title mean that it has been totalled by the insurance company? I thought that was a forgone conclusion. In any case, you are right, I know my insurance company won't touch full coverage on a salvage titled truck, but I do think you can get PIP and property damage on it and drive it that way as long as you don't have a loan on it requiring full coverage (comprehensive/collision).

My vote, stay away from a salvage unless you plan on using it for parts.....period.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, yeah, I've never heard of anyone taking a loan out on a salvage car... So expect to pay cash.

Check the trade in value on it and take 60% of that.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:41 PM

I'll let Kelly Blue Book speak to this one....

Poor

"Poor" condition means that the vehicle has severe mechanical and/or cosmetic defects and is in poor running condition. The vehicle may have problems that cannot be readily fixed such as a damaged frame or a rusted-through body. A vehicle with a branded title (salvage, flood, etc.) or unsubstantiated mileage is considered "poor." A vehicle in poor condition may require an independent appraisal to determine its value. Kelley Blue Book does not attempt to report a value on a "poor" vehicle because the value of cars in this category varies greatly.

I would NOT buy a salvage title car or truck, unless my purpose was to rebuild another veichle and use parts of it in the other truck.

Quick Reply: 2004 CTD with a salvage title?