3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2004.5 seat problems, dealer will fix!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004.5 seat problems, dealer will fix!

19,000 miles on the clock, and brought my truck to the dealer to have some stuff finally fixed (clearance lights) and my seats, BOTH, driver and passenger seats have NO cushion now.

Went on a 2,000 mile trip and thought i wouldnt make it so painfull.

I actuall remember posting a while ago saying my seats were still great feeling! heh, boy that changed after about 15,000 miles.

anyways, I know i kept reading about you guys saying the dealer wouldnt fix this problem, well my dealer is going to fix it. well, so far its seemed they want to.

brought it in, showed them it, they said they will order it up (this was 2 weeks ago) that was that!

So i get a call today they just said they got the driver side in today, and while talking to them i told them the passenger side seat bottom was also getting extremely.. wore out.

Garage manager said ok, no problem, ill order it up right now, 5 minutes later its ordered.

I know for a fact alot of you guys were having trouble with the seats and the dealers wouldnt replace them.

Am I lucky? or was there a TSB or somethin for these seats?
thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 10:11 PM

Being that I don't have an issue with my seats yet, I cant tell you what the deal is, but my guess is, you have a good dealer.
Scott
Old 08-17-2005, 01:53 AM

Smart service advisor.Doing his job on a legit complaint and they are(seat bottoms)are a BIG ticket item for him and dealer.Yes they(dealer)are gonna make GOOD money replacing your seats and doing it with a SMILE.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:14 AM

yea, now im just hoping that i get a better cushioning possibly? or more of it, you really could feel the metal plate while sitting in that seat.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:11 PM

I wonder if that is the cause of my hip problems. since I got this truck I have had a problem with my right hip hurting while I am sitting in my truck I have gone to the chiro and he said there was nothing he could do. I have noticed that my seat tends to lean a little to the left (outside) And that side of the cushon is pretty much flat instead of being sloped up a little like they were new... I will have to look into this a little. Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:48 PM

Get your wallet off your hip! Serious.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:01 PM

Journier, where was your pain? In the (Forrest Gump voice) buttocks? Everywhere? Mine's behind my right knee after about an hour in the seat. I'm only 170, so maybe it will take me more than 19,000 miles to make the pain go from uncomfortable to painful.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:39 PM

yup, you sorta sit really awkward,

putting pressure behind your knee's, because your butt is resting below where it should be...

and before you know it your feeling pain in your legs, stressing them im sure.

but my butt will also start to hurt, you know the hurt, the kind of hurt you get when you sit on a hard bleacher for like 2 hours.

if i push down with my hand in the back of the seat bottom, i can hit the metal plate there, so... i think thats a bad thing.

For an example of how bad it gets, I usually do 24 -36 hour straight through drives, when im going to go pick up a car i buy.

Anyways, this truck worked fine for the 1st few hauls, but now its getting bad, On my last trip to New Jersey (im in illinois) i had to start stopping every 2 hours or so, to get out walk around for 5 minutes and then hop in the truck again. this is with my seat at the max position to sit Flat, if i put it any other way my legs would probably go numb completely.

Maybe im just getting old but i have a feeling, the lack of cushion is the problem,

I bet you a dollar, the new cushion is going to last me another 15,000 or so miles before it gets really bad, and ill probably be ripping the seat cover off and adding some 1 inch thick (heavy duty) cushioning in there, to raise my butt up off the metal plate, so my legs can circulate off the lip of the seat.

but hopefully (prays) the new cushion will be thicker and i got a really lame set of cushions from the factory
Old 08-18-2005, 04:00 PM

The first thing I did when I sat in this truck was remove my wallet and stick it in the center counsil it hurt too much (even though it was empty after the 40g's for the truck)ha ha. My pain is definately in my hip right in front next to my friend. (not to sound derogitave but making a point) I also have pain in the back of my right knee but usually an adjustment of the seat to lean the front down takes care of that for a while. I think I should just put an air ride seat in it. I found them when looking for air ride for the truck.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:32 PM

My 05 only has 5300 miles and I am developing a problem with my seat. It seams as if the right rear is sinking more than the left causing my right butt cheak to sit lower and I keep having ot adjust my rear to get comfortable witch usualy makes it worse and I have to get in and out of the truck again. If I Dont get in the truck right the first time im screwed and my back will hurt and im uncomfortable errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr not real happy with it if it persits im gona have the dealer get me a new one or take it to a apulstry shop and have them put in some real foam and some side bulsters in .I cant stand getting thrown out of my seat when going down mountain roads. IM only 175 lbs so i know my seat should not be as broke off as it is.

I feel for your 04.5 guys my buddy has one with the non power seat and 41K on the clock and when I drive his truck I feel like a midget the cushion is totaly flat not metal yet but man I feel like a 5 year old trying to see over the steering wheel and im 6, 2'

I think the seats are the worst part of this truck. Man I wish I could get a ford seat to fit in my truck those things are so **** comfy side bulsters and all

-Chris
Old 08-19-2005, 12:39 AM

heh, its funny for as much as the truck is, youd think they would add another 1 dollar worth the padding into the seats, ok maybe 2-3 dollars but the price we pay this shouldnt even be happening. \

I also cant sit with my wallet (obviously) even when brand new i couldnt.
I always hear about how ford seats are SOOO comfortable, but when i rented one on a trip last year, the seats were like rocks, the foam was there, but it was very tough

Maybe its just a rental option, super hard seats so the foam lasts.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Banned

HHMMM.............................

Boy am I glad I read this!!

Ya know, Dodge has always had a bad rap for comfort.

My '04 now has 132K - I sit in it for 8-9-10 hours a day. Here lately I have been feeling more wore out than usual after running my route. I've been blaming it on this sorry heat/humidity we have to put up with down here in Texas, but I also suspected the seat in my truck as part of the problem. I could drive my '02 Silverado all day long and never get this tired. I have never never liked this seat since the day I bought the truck. Kind of reminds me of a padded church pew, you really can't get comfortable in it, but you have to put your time in it. Know what I mean.

If I can't sell my truck, which it looks like I won't be able to because of the miles, then I'm going to put new seats in it along with the 10 foot stakebed I'm going to replace the bed with. There's a couple of places down here in the Metroplex that sell aftermarket seats. Nice high back cloth buckets with a center console will run you around $500-$600 installed. Either that, or find me a nice clean Chevrolet Silverado 40/20/40 seat and have someone fabricate mounting brackets to put in this thing.

Like I said before......................

Thank Gawd I found this board!
Old 08-20-2005, 11:23 PM

Yea, i was thinking about getting some chevy seats eventually, Those chevy seats are so comfortable its amazing, sat in one and it felt like i was in my comfy chair i sit in at home. heh,

and oh my god man, congratz on that mileage! i dont use my truck enough for this to be happening
Old 08-20-2005, 11:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
the side of my seat was sloping down too (94,000) so today i pulled the bottom cush out and added some foam to the side and made it higher than the otherside so when it wears in it will be just right. the next project i am going to add foam to the bottom center.
can always take the seat bottom to an upolstry (spell check plz) shop and have them redo it, should not be too much if you pull the bottom yourself (4 10mm bolts) unplug the heaters and you're done (5 minutes).
Old 08-20-2005, 11:40 PM

yup. I plan on doing the same thing if the new cushion dont hold up :/