3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

07 infiniti stereo upgrade, really torn

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 infiniti stereo upgrade, really torn

so I am really torn about which direction to go with upgrading my stereo. In either case, its getting all new speakers and a sub, as well as two amps. so my question/debate is/are:

1. replace head unit, get both SWI connections to keep steering wheel controls, AND have to get all new SIRIUS radio stuff including a second antenna on the roof. I know this would sound best, buts its about 600 bucks for the stuff I want to do.

2. Get the JL cleansweep, keep everything else stock aside from the amps and sub/speakers, to the tune of 150 bucks. Now money talks, but so does sound. Im concerned it wont sound clean enough.

Why does Dodge install a SIrius radio system that CAN NOT be used with another head unit. Apparently, I can not even use the stock sirius antenna with an aftermarket sirius tuner. I really dont want two antennas on the roof I can avoid it.

what would YOU do?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:44 PM

I'd go with option 2. Personally, I can't stand the look of aftermarket stuff. I'd guess that the amps and speaker upgrades will clean up the sound well enough. Price is better too.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:56 AM

I put in an aftermarket Sirius tuner that plugged into my Pioneer radio and used the antenna that was on the truck. You don't have to switch out the antenna.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:22 AM

good to know, crutchfiled told me otherwise.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:32 AM

The end (connector) for the antenna that plugs into the Sirius tuner is same connector as the aftermarket, it just does not have the clip to make it stay on. So, I just plugged mine in and zip tied the antenna wire to the tuner with some slack left. Has stayed in for over a year.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1. I plugged my XM receiver to my factory Sirius antenna. I just used a pair of wire pliers to cut the yellow plastic housing off the Sirius antenna's connector, then plugged it into the XM receiver connector and electrical taped the connection to ensure it stays put.

I would go with the aftermarket stuff. You will be happier in the long run. Unless you plan on removing your jack and tire tool from under the passenger seat, you are probably looking at mounting both of the amplifiers behind the rear seat on the firewall. This makes them inaccessible for fine tuning after you put the rear seat back in place without removing it again. The stock H/U doesn't have nearly enough control of the sound system to finalize your tuning and get it sounding right. You need an aftermarket headunit to be able to get everything just right after you do your initial couple rounds of tuning at the amplifiers.

Some H/U's out there also have built in XM/Sirius receivers as well so all you would need would be the H/U and the PAC connection for your SWAC.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:42 AM

I am in the same boat with ya on this one. I have the Infinity system in my 06, but not navigation. So I am looking into a H/U that has built in Nav, Ipod controls, and the added benefits of the extra tuning. These are the reasons i am going to go aftermarket.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:33 PM

if you do go after market i am looking for the stock sirius tuner for a REC NAV .. if the part #s cross i would buy your tuner and mount.. ? Thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 03:30 PM

I went with the Pioneer Avic Z2 in mine, but I didn't have factory sat to worry about. I really like the look and function. I added the Pioneer backup camera in the tailgate handle that works perfect. I still don't understand why these big trucks don't come with backup sensors, but the camera really helps. The only thing I would do differently is the plastic install kit. The Metra kit fits and works ok, but it has a removable trim ring that looks kind of cheap. I think at some point I'll either find another kit, or "fix" this one so it looks better.

Both the sat antenna and GPS antenna are on the dash, it works well for radio, navtraffic service, and GPS. I haven't gotten around to doing the amps and speakers yet, I just need to find the time to install them.

Here's some pics of my setup.
Attached Thumbnails 07 infiniti stereo upgrade, really torn-dsc06645a.jpg   07 infiniti stereo upgrade, really torn-dsc06643a.jpg   07 infiniti stereo upgrade, really torn-dsc06642a.jpg  
Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM

I went with an Alpine W205, but had to get a different Sirius module for it. I have the B/U camera located ont the Hitch receiver. Here's a pic of the H/U. It has a tilt feature so the glare is reduced.