3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

06 wheel skins, how are they held on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 wheel skins, how are they held on?

I noticed to 06 Larime wheels have aluminum wheels under the chrome skins. how do the skins come off without destroying them?
Old 07-02-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The center cap is a PITA! The caps are help on with some pretty strong steel clips. Use the crowbar that comes with the factory jack, a rag, and muscle! I couldn't find any other way...without making my own tool. You have to use the little tab on the end of the lug nut wrench, onto the side of the cap with a matching cutout.

The skins come off significantly easier...you still have to pull with some muscle, though.

HTH

Tony
Old 07-02-2006, 12:12 PM

How bout on a 2500 SRW? These things are on there alot tighter then the centercaps. Guess I should have mentioned 2500 thanks.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:57 PM

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they'd put chrome skins over aluminum wheels (steel is much cheaper) Maybe this is on the 1500's but I'd look again, seems really strange that they'd put chrome over aluminum (unless you wanted chrome with light weight??) I dunno, why would you take the wheel skins off??
Old 07-02-2006, 03:21 PM

Some of the 06 wheels are chrome clad aluminium,, WHY?? who knows!

Rick D
Old 07-02-2006, 05:43 PM

these wheels? If so they are just polished.

Not sure I have seen the ones with skins.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I just picked up a set of the 06 aluminum rims w/skins (off the classifieds).

I presume putting the skin over them was cheaper than actually polishing the cast aluminum.

Anyhow, if you look closely from the back, there seems to be a thin layer of foam and adhesive.

I don't think they are intended to be taken apart.

They do look pretty decent, though. Hard to tell they aren't a polished aluminum wheel once they are on the truck.

P.S. They look pretty much like what Nriver posted, except you would see where the skin ends around the lug nuts...
Old 07-02-2006, 07:19 PM

Ran out and took a photo...

Here's what the skinned aluminum ones look like.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:57 PM

cool, never seen em.

What is your plan if you get the "chrome" off?
Powdercoat? I have some sugestions if you are going that route. Just had some done.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:11 AM

Like the alloy look better then the chrome bling. Comes with the larime though
Old 07-03-2006, 10:24 AM

yep, i agree. dont like the chrome. You may jjust be able to swap a set with someone local. some like the chrome.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:48 AM

Wih I could do that. I don't like the Chrome as much either.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:30 PM

Yeah, I like the polished alloy ones better than these, myself too.

I have the 03 alloys on my truck, the ones where the faces are polished and the curved areas are powder coated silver. Not as nice as the later all polished aluminum, but they look pretty good on my silver truck.

My stock tires were getting pretty thin, so I picked up these skinned alumimum wheels and tires off the classifieds.

Once my stock tires actually hit the wear bars, I'm not sure if I will just bolt these skinned wheels/tires on, or go pay to have the tires put on my stock rims... then sell the skinned wheels...

Nriver,

saw your powder coated wheels on your gallery. Looks slick. What did that set you back, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:23 AM

$140 for the powder coat. advanced powdercoating in portland.

If you are going to do it, have them mask off the lug nut seats, the rear flange area and the hub ring. This will make the wheel fit like stock. Otherwise you will need to remove the powder from those areas. If you are going to run the center caps, just have them mask off the center area front and back.

I did not have this done and had to remove it at the tire shop while they were mounting the wheels. I did not have good enough tools to do it there. So I had to do it at home a week later. The wheels were bonded to the hubs. Nothing a big hammer did not take care of.

I had to do this to each wheel. It was a pain in the

I am also not sure if I would do this again. I actually think spray paint would do a good enough job. I may paint up my H2 wheels and get them mounted. That may be the next set up for my truck. I want to get rid of some control arm rubbing, it may help.

the front side of the wheel

just had to post pictures
Old 07-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TonyB
The center cap is a PITA! The caps are help on with some pretty strong steel clips. Use the crowbar that comes with the factory jack, a rag, and muscle! I couldn't find any other way...without making my own tool. You have to use the little tab on the end of the lug nut wrench, onto the side of the cap with a matching cutout.

The skins come off significantly easier...you still have to pull with some muscle, though.

HTH

Tony
The easiest way to get those center caps off on the DRW trucks is to remove the skins. When you pop the skins off the center cap comes off with it. Helps to keep from scratching the skins that way also.

Quick Reply: 06 wheel skins, how are they held on?