3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

"06" Not so cold Air Conditioning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"06" Not so cold Air Conditioning?

I've have "99" "03" and now an "06. The previous rigs would with time make you hurt if you left it on to long....the "06" pisses you off on hot days. I just got it back from the dealer and they checked the refrigerant level and all checked out ok. It is cooling off up here and he told me to bring it back on a hot day...I'm in Oregon so that maybe next year...I have seen posts complaining about this issue and was wondering if any of you guys in Texas or in the warm areas of the US have had to deal with this issue? Did anyone find a fix that the dealers in the cooler areas arn't up to snuff on?.....I know they can work great...it appears to be a Air conditioner problem and not the cab size and so on. I'm looking for some solid information. I know some are OK and some **** people off....so what is the fix? What could be different between mine and one that works well?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:47 AM

Cool

Do you have a megacab? The sig doesn't say. After working sales at my local Dodge dealership, I had many a customer mention the same thing about the 06 megacab and many brought them in for service thinking that their refrigerant was low. What happened is that Dodge in the ducting to get the rear vents in the megacab didn't step up the blower speed to allow for the drop in intensity when the rear vents are on. In my megacab, I leave my rear vents closed unless I have rear passengers and that helps a bit. We had a few quad cabs come back with no problems found, but the biggest culprits were the megacab duallys. We had a backload of about 6 units at one time for the same a/c complaint once.

Mine does okay, but now I am just getting used to it. Your dealership does have a TSB to my knowledge on the megacab, but if yours is a quad, you will just have to live with it...
Old 09-21-2006, 08:52 AM

My '06 that I've had for two weeks is in the shop getting a few things done, including charging the A/C. I noticed right away that it didn't blow very cold and then I noticed that the compressor cycled often, a sure sign that it didn't have a sufficient charge. Perhaps yours suffers the same problem.

Tad
Old 09-21-2006, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when I read these threads it seems like the megacab and the Laramie trucks are the ones with problems??? does it have to do with the dual climate control??

My mega is ice cold I have no complaints.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:16 AM

you might have a point there...
Old 09-21-2006, 09:47 AM

I just had to have the recirc door replaced on my '06. The symptom was ~1/2 airflow on hi fan speed. It was still cold, though.

HTH

Tony
Old 09-21-2006, 09:54 AM

My A/C is weak as well. Takes a while to get cool, NOT cold, and the flow is terrible. With the fan on high, you an bareley feel it on your face. When I have the selector set to the upper vents, you can still feel air coming out at your feet. I had a tech look at it & they have parts on order. One of the parts is the blend or recirc door(I can't remember which)and it is on national back-order. At least it is cooling off here so the A/C won't be of much use, but I want it fixed for next summer!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobob
My A/C is weak as well. Takes a while to get cool, NOT cold, and the flow is terrible. With the fan on high, you an bareley feel it on your face. When I have the selector set to the upper vents, you can still feel air coming out at your feet. I had a tech look at it & they have parts on order. One of the parts is the blend or recirc door(I can't remember which)and it is on national back-order. At least it is cooling off here so the A/C won't be of much use, but I want it fixed for next summer!

Hmmmm!!! I did notice that the AC blows a little at my feet when it is on the upper vents only!! guess I better take it in.
I guess I do have some complaints.

BTW any body else notice the dash vents don't turn up enough to blow on your face?? I'm 6'2" and the vents hit me in the neck and chin but not the face. I know it sound dumb but it's kinda annoying.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
when I read these threads it seems like the megacab and the Laramie trucks are the ones with problems??? does it have to do with the dual climate control??

My mega is ice cold I have no complaints.
Hohn2...its "a quad cab" I fixed my sig! Thanks! Also it is a Laramie which brings up the dual climate control issue.....This may be a lead!...don't know yet or how that would affect the issue...Ive had all quad cabs and the others worked great(they were SLT's) The Laramie is a different breed for sure in the creature comfort area. So how are all you guys with a quad cab Laramie doing with the cold issue? They said in the shop the vent temp is within spec....but out in the real world it sucks!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:30 AM

How often does the compressor cycle?

Tad
Old 09-21-2006, 11:42 AM

I dont have any complaints about mine...I've even had people complain about being too cold....And my truck is a big black heat sucker
Old 09-21-2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by TXTad
How often does the compressor cycle?

Tad
I'll have to check that out Tad....I got it back yesterday....they removed the refrigerant and measured it ...said it was the correct amount...can't find a obvious problem...

Herrin811 you have a SLT....It maybe a Laramie issue....maybe!
Old 09-21-2006, 01:25 PM

Mine is a quad cab 06 and will freeze you out.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by goose2
Mine is a quad cab 06 and will freeze you out.
goose2....is it a Laramie?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:01 PM

I have sport quad cab. It was a 90+ day and I was still sweating when I got home. The vent to the right of the steering wheel was cold and move lots of air. But the left one was not blowing as hard and it seemed like it was not blowing as cold. Reached over to passenger side same thing, not as cold and less air flow. I had it on max air the whole time. The compressor seemed to cycle normally.

Quick Reply: "06" Not so cold Air Conditioning?