3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

'06 high idle feature

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 high idle feature

Hello guys,

I am a newbie here and I really enjoy the site. I am taking my '06 megacab in this afternoon for the recall on the rear antilock brake module. While I am there I am going to see if they can enable the high idle feature on the truck. I talked to the service manager yesterday and he was not familiar with the feature( he said his guys should be though). He said he was willing to do it but he may have to look it up to see how. Is there anything I can tell him to make this easier to do? They seem willing enough and maybe some of the mechanics know how to do this but I thought I might ask ya'll.

thanks
David
Old 07-28-2006, 11:35 AM

BM, the following TSb does not applied to your truck, but it should give them an idea of what to do. TSB 18-004-04 Flash: Poor Cab Heat and/or Slow Engine Warm Up in Cold Ambient Temperatures. On your truck they should only have to enable it, then you can use the cruise buttons to control it.

Forgot to mention only for auto trannies at this time
Old 07-28-2006, 03:38 PM

try it to see if it works. mine was already enabled.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:35 PM

'06 high idle feature

I went to the dealership today and got the recall taken care of. However, they did not know what to look for in order to enable the high idle feature. They were more than willing to do it if they could find out how. They hooked up the scan tool but could not find where to enable the feature. I was looking at the screen on the scan tool also and I did not see anything that looked like it would remotely be associated with enabling this feature. Of course you have to realize that I dont know jack about the scan tool either. The tech was going to call Chrysler and see if they could help him. He is suppose to call me when he finds out how and if he can enable this feature.

Grey TD, I gave him the info that you posted and he looked up and found the TSB you listed but he was unable to reference it to anything on the '06. Thanks for the info anyway.

MX 429,

I have tried and do not have this feature enabled from the factory. And yes I do have the auto tranny. Maybe they will come up with something. Im sure the dealership thinks I am crazy but at least they are willing to help any way they can.

Also, I ask about the problem that some people were having with the trailer wiring shorting out the IPM module( I plan on hauling a gooseneck off and on and do not want to take a chance on messing up my IPM). I was told that as long as I hooked up my trailer lights to the factory plug then I would be ok as it is fused. He said the only way it would burn out the IPM is if I were to tap into the wiring for the trucks own tailights/turn signals. Is this true? I am beginning to wonder if it is safe at all to hook to a trailer.

Thanks
David
Old 07-31-2006, 07:58 AM

'06 high idle feature

Any ideas.....anyone.

thanks.

David
Old 07-31-2006, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lemme see if I can find the paperwork at home. Should have it....somewhere, and it should reference the tsb or description. Unless someone can produce it before I can get home tonight.

Tony
Old 07-31-2006, 09:26 AM

'06 high idle feature

Thanks Tony B. I would appreciate it.

David
Old 07-31-2006, 09:54 AM

i know the high idle is done through the cruise control, but what is the exact procedure to see if it's enabled on my truck?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by estesbubba
i know the high idle is done through the cruise control, but what is the exact procedure to see if it's enabled on my truck?
1) Press Cruise: ON
2) Press Set: Idle should raise to ~1100
3) Press Accel / Decel will raise / lower RPM, between 1100-1500
4) To turn off:
a) Press Cruise: OFF
b) Press Cancel
c) Step on Brake pedal

HTH

Tony
Old 07-31-2006, 11:35 AM

Just got mine done. Service writer did it in about 5 min. w/ DC scan tool. He said there was no TSB for '06, just said it is "high idle enable option". Really cool, if you ask me. HTH
Old 07-31-2006, 12:36 PM

'06 high idle feature

LFD2037,

Do you know where he found the option on the scan tool? The service writer where I went tried to find it but did not have any luck. I was in the truck with him when he was looking and I did not see anything on the screen either.
Where in Tx are you? I am in Killeen.

David
Old 07-31-2006, 01:13 PM

sorry guys, im totally lost, But why enable a high idle feature? What will it help? just curious before i decide to give my dealer a call.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ramstang
sorry guys, im totally lost, But why enable a high idle feature? What will it help? just curious before i decide to give my dealer a call.
Helps in the winter time, higher idle, warms up quicker...
Old 07-31-2006, 02:20 PM

Helps in the summer too! COLD AC!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:05 PM

Also, it's not good to idle very long w/out the RPM's being higher. Berrettaman, I'm 30 min. s of Dallas, so a long ways from you. I don't know where in the scanner he found it.

Quick Reply: '06 high idle feature