3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

'06 Foglight Covers, Do they make 'em?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Foglight Covers, Do they make 'em?

Does any one know of the availability of fog light covers to fit the 06's? I just had to replace one because of a cracked lens. Local dealer wanted $130. I found a pair for less than that but I'd still like to find some covers since I don't need to use the lights all that often.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:41 PM

someone had a link to 3M site where they sell the poly covers that stick on with static electricity or water or something...and prevent them from breaking. Got kits for headlights too but our new style lights are a ***** to install on. Apparently they work great though and are clear.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:56 AM

Yeah, that's a good idea. I've seen that stuff in several forms some pre cut and some that you cut your self.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:13 AM

I converted over to GE 100Watt 13V Aircraft landing lights and switched them over to function with my High Beams. $30 a side complete and spare bulbs are only $13.
That 3M stuff works great! It's a peel and stick product that heals itself when it heats up.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So....where do you get the 3m stuff???

Inquiring minds NEED to know!

TIA

Tony
Old 06-13-2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Boykid88
I converted over to GE 100Watt 13V Aircraft landing lights and switched them over to function with my High Beams. $30 a side complete and spare bulbs are only $13.
That 3M stuff works great! It's a peel and stick product that heals itself when it heats up.
What benefit did you see with the landing lights?

Are they the proper pattern and spread for road use? I would imagine you blind people coming the other way.

I'm actually pretty impressed by the stock lights.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by LanceK
What benefit did you see with the landing lights?

Are they the proper pattern and spread for road use? I would imagine you blind people coming the other way.

I'm actually pretty impressed by the stock lights.
I think the lights on my 04 are useless compared to my my 95 and they sucked too.
I should explain further that I live in remote Northern Alberta, I drive 32kms home and only make 5 turns the whole way including my driveway. Without anything to reflect off of there aren't too many lights that do work well in this type of highway. The aircraft landing lights extend out a couple of miles plus give great coverage of the ditch.
I do have to be carefull with other drivers too. They wont work unless my highbeams are on plus I have them on a switch. I knock them down as soon as I see another vehicle and then fall back on my high beams until I'm too close for them. If I get caught off guard on a tight corner, I can cut them out instantly by knocking down to low beam. Luckily I start work pretty early and only pass about 3 cars on the way in to work and they all have them too, so we all respect each other.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by TonyB
So....where do you get the 3m stuff???

Inquiring minds NEED to know!

TIA

Tony
Here is a website for the 3m product called stoneguard.www.stoneguard.com There phone # is 1-800-350-4897.I think its easier to call then try to navigate there website.They have pre-molded covers that fit right over the fogs.They sell for about $19.95 a pair.There is a place located in Canada that makes stainless mesh covers called cloud rider design.There covers sell for around $90.00 bucks a pair (american)coobie
Old 06-14-2006, 09:21 AM

KC Daylighters use "aircraft landing lights", I had them on my old GM, they're pretty useless IMO. A very tight pencil beam goes for miles, but didn't ligght up the sides at all, that's why you see people with 6 of them on the front, pointing slightly different directions.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:53 AM

http://www.xpel.com/products/configu...=470&series=60
Here's a link I found for a company selling protective film kits to cover off all the high impact areas.
I drive on well tree'd long flat straight stretches so the pencil beams work well enough for here, but out in the open plains they are a bit too focused.
The Aircraft landing lights also only have a 25 hr rating. I get about a month out of a $12 bulb. Annoying yes, but better than $150 for a stock housing. I went through 4 lamps all last winter and all were hit with rocks so the hours of use aren't a big issue. If a guy used the protective film then he might actually get the 25hrs out of them and then might be looking for longer lamp life.

Lightforce HID's are the way to go but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Maybe for Christmas?