3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

05 Steering Box Leaking! Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 07:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramcam
I had what i thought was a leaky steering pump.Took it in a couple of times but they couldn't figure it out .They replaced the pump but it still leaked.I went back again the service manager came out and released the pump reservoir.The cap blew up into the sky.We put a new cap on the reservoir that had pressure bleed holes that were working and it has'nt leaked since.

Ah-hah! See my post above, when I checked my PS fluid it was under a lot of pressure. Strange.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same here with the leaking gearbox. i noticed when i put the H2 wheels with the 315s on the steering was alot harder at low or stopped speeds. started leaking about 3 months after that so i called the local dodge dealer and told them i was thinking about putting on bigger tires and was wondering if it voided any warranties at all and the service guy said sounds good putting on bigger tires and no it does not void any warranties. so , i hung up the phone pushed redial and made the appointment. new box no questions asked. this all happened 2wks ago fyi
Old 03-02-2006, 11:19 PM

Yea we grabbed a new reservoir cap from one of the new trucks on the lot and the leak dissapeared.My truck is a 2005 ctd 4x4 and it leaked the first day i drove it to work. I thought it was the tranny so had the truck towed back to the dealer boy did i get razzed by the guys at work lol.Must have been a production flaw in the cap its good now.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtEater
That's unreal! That's the kind of crap that they may tell me. "Due to the 35" tires causing excessive strain on the steering box sir, we're unable to cover your box under warranty".
Thats funny.....we've replaced five gear boxes on newer trucks that I can think of. Score stands: stock truck: 0. Lifted show pony fat tire large offset rim trucks: 5 Looking at that pattern I would say "that kind of crap" may have some logic. and a foot note the dead Cummins engines score here is 8. Bombed: 7 Stock: 1 ....but we all know power adders couldn't possibly hurt out engines .
Old 03-03-2006, 08:39 AM

Location: Frozen Northern Minnesota, Darn Close To Where Perma-Frost Begins...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fluid is leaking around the "Meshload Adjuster Nut" (stud w/locknut in top center of the gearbox). Loosen locknut, DON'T TURN THE LOAD STUD, apply sealant under the nut, snug her back down, annnnnnnnnd no more drippies.
Dealer should have done that if its under warranty. Easy fix if your limber. Many gear boxes have been replaced and we've been charged for that were not defective.
Truckbouy2
Old 03-03-2006, 08:55 AM

Well thanks for your logic J Body, but these truck are supposedly Heavy Duty, are they not? I've ran 35's and 37's on my last 4 trucks/Jeeps with zero steering box problems. So if this Heavy Duty truck can't handle some measley little 35's, then Dodge needs to beef up the steering box because this box is waaaaay too weak to be in a HD.

"Score stands":
Other lifted trucks with 0 problems - 4
Dodge Heavy Duty - 1