3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

04 Ram CDT Power Seat Uncomfortable...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the replies :-)

I've heard of the "Fat Wallet" syndrome and I already took the advice.

I have been playing with the seat and the only position that gives some relief is all the way down with the back of the (bottom) seat cushion up some tilting me forward.

Cranking up the lumbar was a good suggestion as it seems to move me further forward in the seat.

My problem is similar to kayjh's. The edge of the cushion within 3" of my knee messes me up. If I push down the cushion while driving it feels better but you can't do that for long...

I also noticed that the throttle pedal is very lightly sprung and just the weight of my foot will depress it 75%. It seems like unconciously I'm keeping my leg stiff so I control my speed. I think that may be a part of the problem.

I think I'll see what's involved in making the pedal more resistive to my foots weight hoping it will allow me to relax while driving.

Can anyone advise if adding another spring to the throttle body (if there is one on a diesel) will mess up the cruise control or anything else ???

Thanks Robo
Old 01-08-2004, 05:16 PM

Traded my '97 in on the '03 and the seats we fine for the first 500 miles. At 1000 miles took in on a trip on three hours one way. The foam had gotten softer and my hip bones were resting on something hard. Could not find a comfortable position to get away from the hard part in the seat.

On the return trip I was not just uncomfortable, I was hurting. I went straight to the dealer before I went home. The dealer sent me to an upholstery shop where the seat was taken apart. We found the steel frame is only 14 inches wide, in the 2nd gen. it is 16 inches wide. Also the steel frame is formed into a box with the wires and springs attached at the front TOP of the box and at the rear they are attached at the BOTTOM. The foam resting on the wires and springs varys in thickness from front to rear and is about 4 inches thick on the springs BUT IS ONLY ONE INCH OR LESS ON TOP OF THE STEEL FRAME!

For someone that is 5 ft.6 in.tall and weighs around 175 pounds the seat should be comfortable. I am 6 ft and weigh around 250. The foam had relaxed and I was sitting on the steel frame and with the width of only 14 inches I couldn't get off one or the other side.

The dealer worked with me as we tried to fix the problem, but the seats were not easly fixed. Add foam and the back of the seat would be to low. He tried to find after market seats but the change was too new (October, '02) and nothing was being made to fit the new trucks. As I had never had a problem with the '97 seats ( in fact they were the most comfortable seats of any vehicle I had owned) the dealer offered the seats from on '02 one ton he had on the lot. They would not fit. After I checked the bolt pattern I knew that I could make an adapter plate to make the older model seats work. He gave me the seats but said that he could not install them for safety reasons.

The seats are slightly different color (no one ever seems to notice) but I am now riding in my new truck with comfort. and I still have the orginal seats.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the power seat automatically come with the SLT or Prem. cloth seats. Mine's on order and I didn't see the option?
Old 01-10-2004, 12:17 AM

Racebeeper,

Power seat is standard with Laramie package. To get it with SLT you order premium cloth (driver side only is power). I'm not sure about leather on SLT since I prefer cloth and didn't check it.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:18 AM

Howdy, Im 5'9" 185 and have the prem cloth buckets, no elect, seats very comfortable especialy with the sheepskin covers my wife got me for Christmas. But my old 93 2500 with the bench seat was fine too. The new seams a lot more comfy on long trips.
Nimrod