3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

04 Ram CDT Power Seat Uncomfortable...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Ram CDT Power Seat Uncomfortable...

Hi Folks,

I've had my new 04 RAM CDT for about a month (wonderful) and the power seat is driving me nuts.

No matter how I adjust it I find that my right leg goes numb after about 20 minutes.

From what I can tell the front edge of the seat is pressing up on my leg and causing the problem. I', 5'8" and 180 Lbs. I've lowered it all the way and actually inclined the seat forward to take the pressure off. No fix...

Anyone else having a similar problem?

Any thoughts on what I can do to remedy the issue?

Thanks Robo
Old 01-03-2004, 09:58 PM

Howdy,
I have to pump up the lumbar support all the way to keep my leg from going to sleep. The seat bottom also has to be flat (not tipped either way). After 4 back surgeries, I find many car and truck seats are uncomfortable for the long haul.
So far I can drive until I need to stop for something else with this truck. One thing I am glad for, I got the power pedals so my wife just moves the pedals instead of the seat when she drives.
Good luck!
Old 01-04-2004, 09:14 AM

Angry

I have the same complait about that power seat, Hurts the right leg to heck, After much playing found a decent setting but the seat had to be forward more than i liked, then the wife goes and moves everything on me now i have to search again for that one setting, Good luck
Old 01-04-2004, 11:12 AM

The seats ok but like to have just a little more support (more bucket type). Drove it for 10k miles this summer straight and could always find a new and interesting position to keep me comfy
Old 01-04-2004, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
never had the leg go asleep but have had the prob with the seat bottom being too upward at the front near my knees. I also slanted/tilted the seat bottom downward/forward toward the pedals, and then adjusted the seat back and lumbar till I was comfy. Finally have a decent spot. Sat there without moving for 3 hrs yesterday, and it wasn't bad. I dont think the cushions are that good, my rear end was getting a little sore, which never happens in my benz(very firm seats), and actually didn't happen in my TDI either(very comfy seats). Oh well, it's a dodge. I would have much rather had power seat memory settings than power adjustable pedals.. OH well.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:25 AM

I did what Ranchoazul said above about 4 months ago and it did the trick. Do a search and you will find alot on the subject. The bottom of the new seats are shorter then the older trucks.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:32 PM

My only complaint on my 03 is the seat. The seat base is shorter and is fixed at the back to the seat back. This does not allow for adjustment of the location of the lumbar support. My 99 seat is much better for long hauls. Too bad-I think the DC engineers had their heads up and locked when they redesigned the seats.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:04 PM

legs going to sleep

gentlemen you may also want to consider removing your wallet or checkbook from your back pockets, after I got my truck was talking to my wifes physical Terrorist (therapist) college roommate and she says with many new seats legs go to sleep from undo pressure on the nerves and blood vessels from overly large wallets and checkbooks.

I laffed and otold her no way no one has any money left after buying the truck and toys but I tried it and it actually worked no more legs asleep or sore lower back .

Just a thought
Old 01-05-2004, 05:09 PM

Re: legs going to sleep

Originally posted by Burpl
gentlemen you may also want to consider removing your wallet or checkbook from your back pockets, . . .
Burpl,
I could not agree more! All kidding aside, it really does help!

The Boss Hog
(now what did I do with my wallet . . . )
Old 01-05-2004, 08:53 PM

HI, I'm 5' 6+ and had a somewhat similar problem with the 03 seat. It was SLT dont know if theres a diff but my 04 laramie seat is a big improvement. seems to be more adjustable. might be my imagination lol
Old 01-05-2004, 08:59 PM

I do remove my wallet in other vehicles (because it helps tremendously).
I so far have not had to do this in my truck. My wifes '02 is a whole nother story. 1500 short box, regular cab, and sits that will kill in under an hour.
Once I found the sweet spot, life is good!
Old 01-05-2004, 10:00 PM

I'm 5'7" at 175 lbs and the seat fits me like a glove.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:39 PM

I agree, my seat is probably the biggest complaint I have next to the vibrations my truck has.

I also have noticed that my seat creaks/squeaks which can get VERY annoying if I have the radio turned off.

Does anyone know of a quality aftermarket seat manufacturer so I can look into replacing the front seats when the funds permit.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:53 PM

Re: 04 Ram CDT Power Seat Uncomfortable...

Originally posted by robo
Hi Folks,

I've had my new 04 RAM CDT for about a month (wonderful) and the power seat is driving me nuts.

No matter how I adjust it I find that my right leg goes numb after about 20 minutes.

From what I can tell the front edge of the seat is pressing up on my leg and causing the problem. I', 5'8" and 180 Lbs. I've lowered it all the way and actually inclined the seat forward to take the pressure off. No fix...

Anyone else having a similar problem?

Any thoughts on what I can do to remedy the issue?

Thanks Robo
Robo,

I am almost exactly your height and weightand had this problem for the first couple of months, in addition to lower back pain from the lumbar support pressing too hard into my lower back even when fully retracted.

Here is what I have learned. Due to the short seat cushion, pressure in the hamstring area (just behind the knee) seems to cause part of the problem. I tried to lower the seat a bit and use the rearward (seat cushion) tilt adjustment to the point where I just started to feel pressure under my leg, behind the knee, and then reversed the adjustment slightly.

For/aft placement of the seat is also an issue as the angle at your ankle is a bit odd (I've found) given the height of the seat and the angle to operate the accelerator. I tried to reduce this by getting a comfortable distance to the steering wheel and retracting the adjustable pedals (if you have this option) as far as possible. This reduced the tendancy of my lower leg to cramp up, ache and fall asleep.

Finally, some of the above "wallet in the back pocket" comments aren't too far off. But, I found, the real problem was the foam creating pressure points. I found that the foam softened a fair bit after the first few thousand miles and the seats have become more comfortable.

All in all, you should settle in to these seats, however they are clearly a weak point in an otherwise well designed truck.

Quick Reply: 04 Ram CDT Power Seat Uncomfortable...