3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

04.5 A/C passenger vents not as cold as drivers side.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just abut to start a post on this same subject as my wifes 04.5 is doing this same thing. way colder on the drivers side than on the passenger side. maybe I'm missing something here but it seems to that since our trucks only have only one evaporator and the air for all vents blows over this same evaporator, that the air from all vents should be the same temperature. on my wife's truck the drivers side gets cold like a new vehicles air should be and the drivers side is not cold at all. how will a fan on the condenser fix this? my system is full of coolant and the aluminum portions of the lines running into the cab actually get ice on them at idle. seems like its maybe a vacuum operated vent door issue or something, at least in our case. any ideas?
Old 06-21-2009, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's two pics of my fan.

04.5 A/C passenger vents not as cold as drivers side.-100_1668.jpg

04.5 A/C passenger vents not as cold as drivers side.-100_1666.jpg
Old 06-21-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
O.K. Here are the results. It was 97 deg here and humid as all. I have the pics in my gallery waiting for approval.

The GOOD!!!!

1. No more cycling of the compressor on first startup due to activating the high pressure switch from no air flow over the condensor.

2. The A/C gets cold faster on Recirc and the temps between the vents stays about equal. With a hot truck it was 50 deg drivers side and 53 passenger side per my temp probe on my multimeter. This was with the A/C on Max, both front windows down, idling, and blower on the highest level.

3. I tie strapped the temp probe to the top tube of my tranny cooler. This was a suprise. It works great keeping the tranny temp at 160-170 deg.

The BAD!!!!

1. I noticed no colder air then when it is working with a good charge.

2. In these high temps you must use recirculate, the A/C just can't deal to well with the hot outside air.

3. When I got on it real hard I noticed a couple of times that the passenger vent air got hotter. Not sure why, if the compressor cut off or if it was due to the heater core because I do not have mine blocked off.

4. My truck still may have an issue. Looking at the gauges I may have goofed and introduced some air into the system. I really need a RobinAir R134 A/C machine to do this job properly. I was using a Snap-on gauge set and cans of R134. I could not vaccum down my guage set prior to use because I don't have a vaccum pump. Not real happy about this one.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:34 PM

Old 06-22-2009, 08:10 PM

I drove the truck today and the A/C was actually very good. Recir at first then to normal and it was very cold with both sides equal in temp. The jury is still out but this is shaping up to be a very good mod so far.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 PM

Thinking about it the biggest difference I've seen is sitting in traffic. It sue to slowly blow warm are the longer I sat without air movine through the grill, but with the fan the AC stays cold in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:16 PM

Mikey, Did you order your parts? The more I use my truck the more I like my fan....LOL
Old 06-23-2009, 07:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooler
Mikey, Did you order your parts? The more I use my truck the more I like my fan....LOL
Not yet. I'm vacationing down on Padre Island.

Driving down here yesterday the ambient temperatures hovering between 99-102 degrees with the AC set to outside vents the cabin temp stayed between 78-80 degrees. Set to recirc the temps start falling fast!

As Bigjohn mentioned this mod should work great for slow moving or stop and go traffic.

MikeyB
Old 06-23-2009, 11:16 PM

The main reason I did it was to keep it from hitting the high pressure switch and cutting off the compressor right after a startup. This should keep the refrigerant in the system and not boil it out. That's why most everyone has to keep recharging there systems every year or so.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:30 PM

I just went and got hay today in the wonderful smoldering heat. The A/C worked excellent with the new fan. I started on recirc and then went to fresh. I had to turn the darn thing down cause I was freezing my tail off. This mod is up their with the the tranny upgrades in my opinion. Best $154 dollars I have spent in a while..... I was skeptical at first but now after using the truck with it, I will never go back to without it. I am tickled to death over it.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:49 PM

Spooler,
As a solution to this without the edition of a pusher fan, would having the AC off before cranking and then turning on after a few seconds do the same?
Old 06-29-2009, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Belgrath04
Spooler,
As a solution to this without the edition of a pusher fan, would having the AC off before cranking and then turning on after a few seconds do the same?
You need to be driving down the road before you turn on the A/C. That will help but will not correct the issue. You will still get the imbalance when taking off from a stop.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spooler
This is an update to an old thread we had a couple of years ago. Beemo helped a few of us upgrade our orifice tube lines with a less restrictive one to help with this issue.
I wanted to read this, searched for "beemo" and search sez, no such user. Search for "orifice tube" and get 4 pages of stuff. Any hints on how to weed it down? or a link?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 PM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t=orifice+tube

Here you go.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:47 PM

I just read thru that whole thread.
I have the same problem in my 2005 (61K miles).
Drivers side is nice and cold but the passenger side is warm.
I just bought this truck and did not notice it till my son complained about it 2 days ago.

Any suggestions?
Was there a TSB out on this?
Think I will get any help from Dodge or am I on my own?

TIA

Quick Reply: 04.5 A/C passenger vents not as cold as drivers side.