3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

03 Noisy vacuum pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:49 PM
WAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '06 manual trans with a Jakebrake and it has a vacuum pump on the front, left side of the block. A round can, probably a diaphram, with a vacuum nipple, held on by two bolts and driven by the serpentine belt.

Unfortunately, mine just failed...cruise control still works but the jakebrake has quit. It draws only a little vacuum and is making a racket. Can anybody tell me what my options are for getting a replacement? My dealership went out of business and there isn't another one near town. Local NAPA has no listing. He thought it might cost hundreds of dollars from a dealer, but wasn't sure.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT, found what I needed on another thread. Anyone with similar issues, go here:

http://www.fixinrams.com/
Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WAM
I have an '06 manual trans with a Jakebrake and it has a vacuum pump on the front, left side of the block. A round can, probably a diaphram, with a vacuum nipple, held on by two bolts and driven by the serpentine belt.

Unfortunately, mine just failed...cruise control still works but the jakebrake has quit. It draws only a little vacuum and is making a racket. Can anybody tell me what my options are for getting a replacement? My dealership went out of business and there isn't another one near town. Local NAPA has no listing. He thought it might cost hundreds of dollars from a dealer, but wasn't sure.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT, found what I needed on another thread. Anyone with similar issues, go here:

http://www.fixinrams.com/

Yeap, the Jacobs exhaust brake has a belt driven pump. They have been noted for going out. The Cruise control pump is small and behind the passenger battery. Totally different system.