3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

02-05 Dodge Ram Chrome Projector Headlights w/ Dual Halo & LED

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02-05 Dodge Ram Chrome Projector Headlights w/ Dual Halo & LED

I know that there is allot of discussion on these but I am wondering if anyone is using these,,, I am thinking of buying these because they have a low and high beam adjustment,, not all do...

http://www.octanemotorsports.com/p48...l?osCsid=f900a

Thanks...
Old 01-24-2010, 10:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those are good looking lights. I would like a review as well.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:12 PM

Those are sweet.. Although, I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks on..
Scott
Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 PM

I've had those on my truck for about 3 years now... I really like them, some don't but it's all what YOU like not others... I replaced the lower white leds with yellow leds and then wired them so that they would flash opposit of the blinker lights.. Kind of hard to understand what I mean, I will see if I can find the video...

I really like mine, the key is to get them aimed right, and take your time doing it.

Name:  100_5542.jpg
Views: 4991
Size:  68.5 KB
Old 01-26-2010, 05:01 PM

Asher,

I'm interested in a similar set of headlamps. I've never really heard anybody with projector-style lights talk about the "quality" of the beam pattern produced by the lights. Do they light up the road and the edges of the road better than the stock headlights? Thanks for your input....
Old 01-28-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Asher
I've had those on my truck for about 3 years now... I really like them, some don't but it's all what YOU like not others... I replaced the lower white leds with yellow leds and then wired them so that they would flash opposit of the blinker lights.. Kind of hard to understand what I mean, I will see if I can find the video...

I really like mine, the key is to get them aimed right, and take your time doing it.

I'd like to know if they put out a better beam then the OEM lights? I tried a set from fleabay and it was a waste of $300. There was no adjustment on the lights and were misadjusted? The low beams didn't have a very bright beam. I've tried about every new bulb out on the market for our trucks and nothing will improve the defective reflector in the housing. I've searched high and low for a headlight that will work for our model year truck. Would you buy those lights again or would you keep looking? I'm talking about light output,not the looks of the lights.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:22 PM

where did you get the yellow led lights?? and did you use a relay to make them flash the way to wanted them to?? What is a good deal on these..
Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 PM

Well guys these lights are the e-bay cheapies. They are adjustable, when I first got them they where terrible. After sending about 2 hours one night tweaking them (adjusting them) they came out pretty good... The one thing you will notice is that the light has a very sharp cut off line. Also the light is stepped, so if you take time to adjust the lights properly then at night your will have a line cut off line that looks like like "steps" and there should be 3 steps. The first step should start at the center lane stripe, then both head lights should be on the same level through the second step (I aimed them so they are just about trunk level of a small car), and the third step should start back up at the curb or shoulder. With this set up you will not blind on-coming cars or cars in front of you, but have some light to see any walkers, road signs, etc to the right... the high beams you just adjust to your desire...

Are they any better?? I would say maybe 10-15% better on low lights, but much better on the highlights because you can adjust the beams seperately. this is just my opinion...

I got the yellow LED's from a company called superbrightleds.com they cost like $24 to replace all of them. To get them to flash opposite I wired up a couple switching relays that I got from radio shack. I could only figure out how to make this work when the parking lights are on, when they are off just the normal blinker bulb flashes, when the parking lights are on they flash opposite of the blinker. I am sure they would look better if I replace the factory bulb with an LED but I haven't done it yet...

I just went outside to get a shot of them working like I was trying to describe... Sorry for the crappy video, but it's 15 degrees outside...

Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 PM

I see Jeno's has a couple different light packages and I may try the OEM style in Black and see if the reflectors are crap like the OEM. If they are I'll return them and dry something different.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 PM

subscribing
Old 01-30-2010, 08:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Asher,

Pretty cool!

MikeyB
Old 01-30-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Asher,

Pretty cool!

MikeyB
Mike,
Quick question because I don't want to cross thread,I noticed you had upgraded headlight wiring. Did it make a difference in light output,would you tell me more about your boost elbow? Please PM me-Casey
Old 11-16-2011, 10:30 PM

I have been reading, researching etc. about HALO lights to replace OEMs & decided not to. Instead I'll go with a pair of additional lights. If I stumble on big bucks I'll go with Light Force, if not well what ever I can afford. Not too worried about Johnny Law as the lights will be used on very rural roads in the fall or early spring.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sisusuomi
I have been reading, researching etc. about HALO lights to replace OEMs & decided not to. Instead I'll go with a pair of additional lights. If I stumble on big bucks I'll go with Light Force, if not well what ever I can afford. Not too worried about Johnny Law as the lights will be used on very rural roads in the fall or early spring.
Both my 2nd gens had auxiliary lights. I bought Hella 500s from the Fairbanks 6 Roblees and upgraded to the 100w bulb. Light, easy to mount, and fairly cheap at the time I think I spent less than $75. I then fell into the trap of expensive is better, so I replaced them with a set of Piaa 40XTs at $180. They weren't any brighter but I had to keep the Piaa's because I'd already sold the Hella's. On my '02 I decided to go big and bought a set of Piaa 80XTs and they were GREAT lights!!! But at $325, I could have bought two sets of Hella's for the front (pencil and floods), and still had a lot of money leftover.

Lightforce makes good stuff (as do Piaa, Warn and a few others), but there's good, and then there's good enough...and for me Hella 500s are definitely good enough!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
check our this site. Jeremy does WONDERS with the stock assembly and can color match them to any color, halo, projector, HID etc.

http://retroshop.mcfail.net/index.html

Quick Reply: 02-05 Dodge Ram Chrome Projector Headlights w/ Dual Halo & LED