3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

$ 775 for a headlight out ?????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$ 775 for a headlight out ?????????

I replaced the blub with no luck. checked the plug into the blub and no power. Took the truck to the dealer............The front light power module is out and they say the power module is bad too......The front lights all work except the driver side low beam, with the lamp out on the dash on..... The parts were not on hand and they are ordered. I needed the truck so I picked it up. Now the question : how would the front power module work except for the one low beam, if the power module that feeds it is bad. wouldn't the front module not work if the power was bad... AM I CRAZY or are they ( the Dealer ) tring to take me for a ride ??? Did I mention that the parts are $ 669.00. Anyone have any thing on this or simular experinces ? I paid the $ 109.00 to have them put the truck back together so I could drive it and the National back ordered can parts come in. Why are they on National back order ? Is this a problem that dogde should be handling ? Help $ 775 for a head light that woul not turn on ??????
Old 03-31-2008, 01:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For that kind of money, I'd rig up my own setup with a relay and such and live with the lamp out light... Probably can be done for under $20. That's really crazy...
Old 03-31-2008, 08:08 AM

I can only go by my '05 manual, but he '04 may be the same. The manual shows a "left low beam driver" in the Front Control Module, which appears to be located in the Integrated Power Module. The driver is likely a power transistor, which probably has failed. I'm sure the driver is controlled by a signal from a microprocessor.

I have a problem with the degree of computerization on these trucks. Everything is computerized. I understand the need for computer control of the engine and perhaps the auto trannys for emissions control purposes, but computerizing all the other vehicles systems, to what end?

These things now take a scan tool just to check the lights, and the costs are horrendous, as people are finding out. If it was my truck, I would have that module out to see if I could get it apart and repair it, but I have an electronics background, and most people don't.

I don't know what's going to happen with these vehicles as they age, and the cost of repair "parts" is going to become a bigger and bigger percentage of the truck's value.

Either Dodge should have made these modules bullet proof, which they clearly haven't, or they should have designed a simpler electrical system in the first place.

The relay idea will work. Just use a fused power lead to the relay, and wire the coil to the right low beam. In case you are considering it, don't wire the left low beam directly to the right low beam, though. That would likely burn out the right side low beam driver as well, due to excessive current draw.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by C Follett
I replaced the blub with no luck. checked the plug into the blub and no power. Took the truck to the dealer............The front light power module is out and they say the power module is bad too......The front lights all work except the driver side low beam, with the lamp out on the dash on..... The parts were not on hand and they are ordered. I needed the truck so I picked it up. Now the question : how would the front power module work except for the one low beam, if the power module that feeds it is bad. wouldn't the front module not work if the power was bad... AM I CRAZY or are they ( the Dealer ) tring to take me for a ride ??? Did I mention that the parts are $ 669.00. Anyone have any thing on this or simular experinces ? I paid the $ 109.00 to have them put the truck back together so I could drive it and the National back ordered can parts come in. Why are they on National back order ? Is this a problem that dogde should be handling ? Help $ 775 for a head light that woul not turn on ??????
Call around to the local junk yards.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the wiring is the same treefarm is correct, if you replace it please send me the old one i would like to see if they can be repaired and modified
Old 03-31-2008, 02:27 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Yeah, dont let them keep it. There must be half an ounce of gold in there. Hope you find a cheap fix.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by TreeFarm
I can only go by my '05 manual, but he '04 may be the same. The manual shows a "left low beam driver" in the Front Control Module, which appears to be located in the Integrated Power Module. The driver is likely a power transistor, which probably has failed. I'm sure the driver is controlled by a signal from a microprocessor.

I have a problem with the degree of computerization on these trucks. Everything is computerized. I understand the need for computer control of the engine and perhaps the auto trannys for emissions control purposes, but computerizing all the other vehicles systems, to what end?

These things now take a scan tool just to check the lights, and the costs are horrendous, as people are finding out. If it was my truck, I would have that module out to see if I could get it apart and repair it, but I have an electronics background, and most people don't.

I don't know what's going to happen with these vehicles as they age, and the cost of repair "parts" is going to become a bigger and bigger percentage of the truck's value.

Either Dodge should have made these modules bullet proof, which they clearly haven't, or they should have designed a simpler electrical system in the first place.

The relay idea will work. Just use a fused power lead to the relay, and wire the coil to the right low beam. In case you are considering it, don't wire the left low beam directly to the right low beam, though. That would likely burn out the right side low beam driver as well, due to excessive current draw.
Tell me about it. I just finally got my reverse lights fixed. There is a 2 page thread of mine in the HELP! section titled "Reverse Lights Out "if you want to read it in detail, but the short of it is that my compute (TIPM) thought that my tranny was an auto and would not turn on my reverse lights. A file had to be sent from StarScan to tell my computer that it was a manual and to allow the lights to turn on. What a PITA.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:25 PM

Happened to me!

I had the same problem but luckily mine was covered under warranty.