3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

New to forum- Hello - and a question on H&S or Smarty

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New to forum- Hello - and a question on H&S or Smarty

Hi all,
I finally found a good used 2007 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 6.7. I have been looking for 2 months, they seem hard to find here in Florida. Picked it up yesterday. Awesome truck and it got the same MPG as the 4.7 liter Toyota Sequoia I traded on the way home (70 MPH flat highway 17 mpg).
I purchased this mainly to tow my 18 foot enclosed trailer with racecar (total weight about 5000 lbs) to/from the racetrack. The Sequoia would do it but struggled and only got 6 MPG at 70 mph. Yeah...YIKES. I am hopeful this truck will do much better for towing mileage.
Thanks for all of the great info here on the site and the very knowledgeable people that post.
I plan on doing the full delete and would like gauges so I am leaning towards the Mini Maxx. Can anyone tell me how the Mini Maxx does on stock or lowest additional horsepower mode for MPG versus stock? From what I have read on this site, the Smarty seems to gain about 4 MPG but I can't find any posts on the H&S. I am primarily looking at towing the 5000 lb trailer on the highway and getting the best safe mileage possible.
Thanks
Rob
Old 09-26-2011, 02:22 PM
"California Style"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome!

In general, with a Programmer (Smarty in my case), I've only noticed about a 1 MPG increase when towing from 9/t0 to 10/11... I tow a fairly heavy non-aerodynamic TT toyhauler. I think driving slow is your best bet for better MPG.

That truck you have now will perform like a dream for ya, and even more so after the deletes.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:51 PM

welcome i`m new aswell. I dont have the mini-max but I do have the xrt pro from h&s along with deleting I gained 8 mpg towing on the lowest power setting. thats towing a 32ft travel trailer roughly 9k. Before I deleted and went with a tuner I got 10-11ish going from san antonio,tx to phonix,arizona. This past week we just made the same trip but deleted and tuner on 60hp w/turbo I saw 18-19ish average. made a insane difference.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:05 PM
"California Style"

Wow, that is a nice improvement towing. Deleted and with my Smarty on SW3, I've only gained about 1 to 2 (max) improvement in MPG over stock while towing...
Old 10-08-2011, 09:08 AM

I also must note that I have bd-power lift pump. That actually made a 2-3 mpg difference on my truck also gave a strong improvement on the butt dyno. Sadly I bought it trying to get more smoke and it ended up being a big difference in performance. I still struggle to understand the concept of diesel power, but I am no doubt a huge fan of the potential of these motors!!!! Now to just decided what tranny I want to go with so the compounds,duel cp3`s,fire rings,studs, and menth kit hehe
Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Banned

Go with H&S for sure. You'll see awesome power and fuel economy gains across the board. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...l-t295183.html
Old 10-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ramped
I gained 8 mpg towing on the lowest power setting

I'm sorry......but as an owner of the truck in my signature since 3 miles (currently at 73,800 +/-) I just can't believe this.

Are you hand calculating or going by your overhead console???
Old 10-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by gsbrockman

I'm sorry......but as an owner of the truck in my signature since 3 miles (currently at 73,800 +/-) I just can't believe this.

Are you hand calculating or going by your overhead console???
I know you weren't talking to me, but... It seems that this is a pretty common gain for full deletes and an H&S programmer. I can get 17 out of mine pulling around 5,000 pounds but I really enjoy that good ol' "torque twist" she does when i pour the fuel to 'er. Lol. I get no worse than 15 on the third setting with about 5,000 pounds behind me. (That's hand calculated) Seems like H&S is the way to go if you're looking for better fuel economy..
Old 10-10-2011, 04:58 PM

I was talking hand calc'd and to confirm I am not pulling any legs on it here are the numbers I drove from
fredericksburg,tx to La vernia,tx totaling 98.5 miles on a map as I didn't notice the actual distance(didn't think I would need to prove myself)
Then from la vernia,tx to del rio,tx totaling 176 miles one way so 352 round trip
So that's 352 + 98 = 450 and then add the 46 miles I drove this morning to work that's a Total of 496 miles driven.

Now on my lunch break I filled the truck back up which took 27 gallons totaling 95.76 bucks. So unless I'm stupid that's 496/27= 18.3 mpg perhaps in your 4 years of ownership and 73k miles your truck and or driving style isn't the same as mine.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:50 AM

I now have some MPG numbers to reveal. I have the H&S Mini-Maxx with EGR and DPF and Cat and NOX completely deleted. I towed 120 miles one way this past weekend hauling my enclosed car trailer (18 ft by 7 ft), total weight around 5000lbs, and got 13 MPG on the HOT setting.
On the way out I varied the settings and seemed to get the best MPG on the HOT setting. This was on level ground, Florida, with only overpasses as the only hills and driving 65-70 MPH.
I'm not as impressed as I was hoping to get around 16 MPG.

Today I drove the truck to work, 25 miles one way, and got 18 MPG. About 2/3 highway and 1/3 stop and go traffic. This was empty at 55-60 MPH, flat ground and air temps at 65 degrees.

I tried to take off slowly and smooth and am not hammering the truck.

The truck is a 2007.5 with the 6.7 and 4x4 (running in 2WD mode), full ARE topper.
Is this a reasonable MPG or should I look for problems??
Thanks Rob
Old 10-26-2011, 08:54 AM

Stop and go is a killer for mpg.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:10 AM
Banned

I have been doing a fuel mileage comparison between A relative's and my truck. They are same year, same mods (I have the throttle valve delete and he doesn't) His is a dually and mine is a megacab. Same gears, his is an automatic, mine is a stick. Before and after mods I get a rock solid 2 mpg more than he does empty and 3 mpg more towing (the same trailer, 26' enclosed that weighs in at around 6,800lbs) Why? I cannot answer that for sure but I do know there are 2 obvious differences.. One is an automatic dually and the other is a stick mega. Is the automatic/Manual thing enough to yield that much difference? Who knows. Surely someone else will chime in on this one too..
Old 11-02-2011, 07:48 AM

H&s xrt pro

Mine is on Mild setting for the fuel economy, pulling our boat which is right at 20' long and weighs trailer and all around 3600 lbs i have achieved 21.7 at 65mph and in and out of small towns too get where i need. Open road no towing around 34, going too Hammond La or Covington La etc. The longer the run the better it gets. My wife used to hate driving it because it felt like a Flinstone Mobile, Now I have to Hide the keys ! Dont know what gears i would have too look at the sticker , (and yes I saved it), but I'm happy with the full delete and H&S mods I purchased from RSD.Well time for me to get ready for work (the dirtiest four letter word I know) I cannot wait for retirement and fun !.
Out for now!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:23 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by Torquer3
Open road no towing around 34, going too Hammond La or Covington La etc. The longer the run the better it gets.
Really... I need to get this for my 4 cylinder Toyota Camry then...
Old 11-03-2011, 07:32 AM

Sounds Like You Should

Originally Posted by mega-engr
Really... I need to get this for my 4 cylinder Toyota Camry then...
2wd verses 4wd verses different gear ratios verses driving styles and alot more! i have nothing too prove to anyone, not even myself, if you Don't beleive drive here and let's take a long drive and Then You Will! Other wise !
Out !

Last edited by Torquer3; 11-03-2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Forgot too sign Out

Quick Reply: New to forum- Hello - and a question on H&S or Smarty