3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Engine driven air compressors

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine driven air compressors

I want to add an EDC to my '08 6.7 for air accessories like my airbags, airing up tires on my truck/RV/four wheelers/etc., a pneumatic wrench (similar to an impact wrench) for my RV to raise/lower the stabilizers when I park it, air horns (I got cut off when pulling my 26 foot Keystone RV/toyhauler), and be able to help someone else if they need it.

I've looked at some of the electric kits and I don't want to mount it in the bed of my truck since the air tank will probably be mounted on the passenger side frame rail. I want it totally out of visual view and out of the elements as well, but need to be able to service it, too.

OTOH, I've seen some really high end EDC's that start off around $10,000 .... and obviously thats overkill.

I can't find anything in between.

Other than Kilby Enterprises (they have a 5.9 kit, but no 6.7 kit) is there anyone else that makes something like this for the 6.7L engine?

Thanks.

Kris
Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
This doesnt say the years it will fit but might be worth a call to find out.
http://www.extremeoutback.com/index....2.5892&pid=117
with this compressor
http://www.extremeoutback.com/index....12.5892&pid=34

I am unfamilar with the 6.7 engine as well as the entire truck. However I have my compressor ( http://www.extremeoutback.com/index....12.5892&pid=30 )
mounted to the frame rail behind the cab under the bed up as high as possible and built a box for it out of some scrap diamond plate I had laying around. My tank is mounted above my rear driveshaft off the center crossmember under the bed. It is only a 2.5 gallon tank but for my use it seems to be ok. I think with a bigger compressor than mine you could certainly run airtools off it no problem such as
http://www.extremeoutback.com/index....2.5892&pid=114
or
http://oasismfg.thomasnet.com/item/a...-1052?&seo=110
obviosuly some measuring would be required to make sure they would fit where I am talking about but mine fit no problem and with a compressor that makes higher cfm a small 2.5 gal tank would be no problem.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:02 AM

I'm trying to stay away from the frame rail since I don't want the compressor getting messed up from the elements, plus I need to be able to maintenance to it rather easily.

I've seen the Oasis XD series, but again I would need to mount it to the frame and I want to avoid that.

I'm also looking at a 12 gallon tank and based off of Viair's warranty I would need 1 compressor for every 5 gallons .... so in this case I would need 3. This means I'd need a new high output alternator, reflash my ECM for it, and add some deep cycle batteries. Just a few reasons why I'd rather get the EDC setup.

Thanks for the info though

Kris
Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too am intrested to see if anyone knows if there is a compressor that is made for a 7.3.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:21 PM

I have read a few guys on the powerstroke forum that are looking into using an old York A/C compressor and mounting it where the second alternator would go or putting the alternator in the secondary position and putting the york in its place. They have their on oil system so no need to worry about lubrication. It would take some fabricating but it seems possible.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by HMX-1
I've looked at some of the electric kits and I don't want to mount it in the bed of my truck since the air tank will probably be mounted on the passenger side frame rail. I want it totally out of visual view and out of the elements as well, but need to be able to service it, too.

I'm also looking at a 12 gallon tank and based off of Viair's warranty I would need 1 compressor for every 5 gallons .... so in this case I would need 3.
Good luck keeping 12 gallons of air out of sight and on the frame rails. I have 3 gallon tank on my truck and a 5 gallon on my old truck. I'm not sure why your needing so much air unless your using it as a service truck. I do everything you stated you want out of an onboard air system, with a 3 gallon tank and a Viair 480C compressor. If I need to store more air; I could add an additional 2.5-3 gallon tank.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:40 AM

It's going to be partly for service (I own a toyhauler RV), partly for my air bag suspension, and partly for my air horns.

I know there are some issues with it being legal, but I want to install air horns on my truck. I don't understand how someone could miss seeing me in a patriot blue 1 ton long bed Dodge pulling a 26 foot Keystone RV/toyhauler, but obviously they did.

They cut me off because they almost missed their exit. And I almost had a new hood ornament. And a 12 gallon air tank will give me more than enough horn honking time.

Kris
Old 10-07-2009, 12:15 PM

By "service" I believe he meant like a full time work service truck. Unless you are trying to use air tools, an air horn and air up tires all at the same time a 12 gal tank is overkill. You can do all those things with an air zenith, bigger viair or ExtremeAire compressor. Personally I love my air zenith OB2.

http://store.gaugemagazine.com/air-z...ompressor.aspx

http://ultimateroadgear.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1753
Old 10-09-2009, 02:30 AM

I'm going to use air tools, which is why I need it. I can't see having multiple electric compressors or having to do weird stuff to my electrical system to hook in either multiples or one big constant duty.

Kris
Old 10-11-2009, 04:46 PM

I'm going to use air tools, which is why I need it. I can't see having multiple electric compressors or having to do weird stuff to my electrical system to hook in either multiples or one big constant duty.

Kris
You do not need that big of a tank. A class a tractor only has two 5 gallon tanks for everything from air brakes, suspension, cab bags, horns, seats, lockers ect.

The York on my Jeep with a 3.5 gallon tank will run airtools all day long. Actually, a york will run the tools without a tank.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:44 AM

I could mount the York, if there was a kit for it ..... since it's basically a Kilby OBA. I know of several places that modify the seals in the York so that you don't get oil build up in the tank, but mounting it is the big problem.

Kris